My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Do you talk openly about your salary with others?

108 replies

toodlethenoodle · 13/12/2019 19:48

I was offered my dream role within my current company after I gave in my notice after working in a different part of the business. The CEO then got hold of my CV and I negotiated hard and secured myself a 59% pay rise.
In my new office there is a lot of open chat about salaries, bonus' and benefits. A lot of my co workers are unhappy with their salary. I was approached during the week by my co workers and asked outright what my salary was as many people in the office have suspicions that they're being paid half as much as me especially since I was asked personally by the CEO to stay.

I have explained that I have never and will never speak about my salary with anyone as its information that is personal to me. I seem to be a 1 person department so I don't know enough about anyone elses roles and responsibilities to know whether they could negotiate for more.

Is this way of thinking strange? Am I being unreasonable not giving this information to give others the chance to renegotiate?

OP posts:
Rachelle1980 · 14/12/2019 12:52

Never, with 1 exception to that blanket approach... 1 a woman who was very, very, very underpaid and asked me in private. As the only two senior women in our male dominated industry/department, amongst hundreds of men,she was four times as qualified yet when she said her salary it was half of mine,and I was underpaid in terms of the normal market rate.

She'd asked for a salary rise, got given goals instead. Met the goals, funny that, no extra budget for pay raises. So she asked me outright and I told her. Also pointed her in the direction of a good recruiter, she ended up leaving for a huge payrise with a competitor. Of course. Undervalued staff don't stay long term.

m0therofdragons · 14/12/2019 13:12

Discussing salaries leaves one person smug and feeling awkward and the other jealous so generally no but I'm now nhs where pay bands reflect seniority and level of decision making so I've been in situations where a decision needs to be made and I'm the highest banded person so end up leading. My role can be one of 2 bands and I'm on the higher one, which is known. Nhs is different from private in that way!

ClientListQueen · 14/12/2019 13:15

Yes because we are all paid the same except for commission which we discuss anyway

myfuckingfreezer · 14/12/2019 13:25

Yes absolutely. Stuff like this No. Vulgar to talk about income and money more generally is what keeps women behind men and means that companies can keep their workers underpaid.

I know what I earn compared to my colleagues and as a result, I now earn 100% (that's double Wink) more than I did 4 years ago.

PhilCornwall1 · 14/12/2019 13:32

No, absolutely not. I know I get paid quite a bit more than the majority if others in the team, as I was one of the first into that specific team, so know what the range they would offer was for new people joining. I negotiated my starting salary when I joined the company and have increased from there.

Butchyrestingface · 14/12/2019 13:33

They don't @butchy I seem to be a department of 1.*

I am the youngest woman in a company of 400+ and the only woman in my side of the business. It was men that asked me what my salary was.

In that case, they’d be told (nicely) tae get tae fuck, I’m afraid.

It does quite warm the heart to think of all these poor ickle menz in OP’s company coming over all triggered at the suspicion of a WOMAN, and a young one at that, earning more than them. 💕

hazell42 · 14/12/2019 14:01

I tell no one.
At least, I don't tell them the truth. I may allow them to believe it's more or less, depending on who I am talking to, but I would never actually tell anyone outright.
Why would I?
I also, don't tell anyone how much I have in the bank, or how much I spend on... well, anything.
My money, my life, my decisions

Glittershake · 14/12/2019 14:26

I wouldn’t just come out with it to colleagues but if we were discussing it I would I don’t really care if people know what I earn. My family and friends know what each other earn and how much our mortgages/bills/ spare money goes on it’s not a big secret

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.