Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think she should send it back?

83 replies

Wafflecopter · 13/12/2019 19:26

A friend of mine ordered a cheap item of clothing, from a very large online company for her DC to use at school, a totally different item arrived in its stead, which is a very expensive designer dress.

The stickers on the bag the dress arrived in are for the cheap item.

She has asked our group WhatsApp for our opinions on if she should keep the item, sell it and buy the cheaper item elsewhere so she doesn’t raise suspicion. Or if she should send it back.
I was surprised to find that I was the only one who thought she should send it back!
I’m now wondering if I’m the strange one.

For clarification the bag itself was right, it’s just that the stickers on the bag were for the item ordered so it’s been scanned and sent to her, and she’s not sure they’d be able to track it.
I’m not sure if that’s true to be honest, surely they must have some way of finding out?

So MN hive mind, what do you reckon?

YABU - She should keep it.
YANBU - She should send it back.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

734 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
63%
You are NOT being unreasonable
37%
EKGEMS · 14/12/2019 00:06

I had similar thing happen earlier this year ordered a pack of socks and got a winter jacket instead. I returned the jacket but had a friend tell me I was crazy to do so

KittenVsXmastree · 14/12/2019 08:03

What would she do if it had been the other way round- ordered a £180 dress, and gotcha kids teeshirt? I bet she'd have been on the phone immediately. So, she should do it this way round too.

Quail15 · 14/12/2019 08:17

I agree she needs to contact them and let them know the error. Chances are they will say she can keep it.

Last month I ordered a table cloth and costers from a large home wear company. In the huge delivery box there were also 2 sets of curtains! I emailed the company and they thanked me for my honesty. They said to keep them .... Although what I'm going to do with two sets of wrong sized curtains I don't know. Will probably take them to the charity shop.

ThinkIamflyingundertheradar · 14/12/2019 08:47

If it’s a massive company like ASOS or Boohoo I wouldn’t put myself out trying to correct their mistake. I recently placed a £400 order for household technology with Amazon. The order came direct from a small company in Scotland. It was delivered promptly, fitted and is working well. A week later the same order was redelivered, again from the same small company in Scotland. I used Amazons returns option, explained I’d had the same thing delivered twice and asked for a paid returns label. That was in September and it took several emails until they eventually sent me the label last week. They have not apologised for the inconvenience returning it will cause me or thanked me for my honesty in putting their error right. I only persisted because it was a small supplier. If it had come straight from an Amazon warehouse I don’t think I would have been so persistent.

I’ve found over the years I’ve become a lot less strict with myself about honesty when dealing with big corporations. I am still very honest in independent businesses and will always point out the glass of wine missed off the bill or return the extra £5 in my change, but with large corporations I’ve adopted the mantra ‘it’s not my job to help you do your job right’.

EleanorShellstrop100 · 14/12/2019 08:52

Id keep it if it came from a big company. I’ve had a woman send me the wrong item on eBay and I let her know immediately and sent it back

crispysausagerolls · 14/12/2019 10:05

I think the disparity of 12£ and 180£ is too great, she needs to call them and offer to return.

If it were 5/10£ you could argue not worth the effort she has to go to to rectify their mistake, but the difference is huge.

The idea of selling it and pocketing some of the cash is even worse!!!!!!

JacquesHammer · 14/12/2019 10:41

If you would make the effort to chase if the vendor made an error, then there’s your answer.

I consider it fairly morally abject to make your decision about to keep an item you haven’t paid anywhere near the value for on whether the vendor is a large or small company.

Loop3x5 · 14/12/2019 15:32

If it was an indie, I'd say return but from a large online store your more likely to get someone in trouble for their mistake by returning so just keep it

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.