Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think she should send it back?

83 replies

Wafflecopter · 13/12/2019 19:26

A friend of mine ordered a cheap item of clothing, from a very large online company for her DC to use at school, a totally different item arrived in its stead, which is a very expensive designer dress.

The stickers on the bag the dress arrived in are for the cheap item.

She has asked our group WhatsApp for our opinions on if she should keep the item, sell it and buy the cheaper item elsewhere so she doesn’t raise suspicion. Or if she should send it back.
I was surprised to find that I was the only one who thought she should send it back!
I’m now wondering if I’m the strange one.

For clarification the bag itself was right, it’s just that the stickers on the bag were for the item ordered so it’s been scanned and sent to her, and she’s not sure they’d be able to track it.
I’m not sure if that’s true to be honest, surely they must have some way of finding out?

So MN hive mind, what do you reckon?

YABU - She should keep it.
YANBU - She should send it back.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

734 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
63%
You are NOT being unreasonable
37%
Gibbonsgibbonsgibbons · 13/12/2019 21:43

I would contact the company & ask them to arrange for it to be collected within a week as after that I would dispose of it as I wished.

I spent months going back & forth with a company that sent me a huge set of books (in addition to another set of books I had actually ordered) they wanted me to go to the PO & pay to return it to them- wouldn’t arrange collection or sent me the postage first Confused I gave up in the end, stores it for a few months then let the charity shop have it.

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis · 13/12/2019 21:43

If it's anything other than a very small company this is a risk the costs of which are calculated and passed on to the consumer. So I don't think there is a moral compulsion to return it

Legally you should 'fess up and let the company collect it. You don't have to go to any effort to return it. The onus is on them, their mistake.

Berrylove · 13/12/2019 21:47

I’m totally baffled by these threads, why wouldn’t you just keep it? You haven’t actually committed any crime or been a thief, the mix up was on the other end and you just so happened to get lucky. It’s life being nice. If it’s a massive business I’m pretty sure this mix up won’t affect it at all.

lotusbell · 13/12/2019 21:50

What size is the dress? Asking for a friend...

Blacksackunderthetreesfreeze · 13/12/2019 21:50

With Amazon I’ve tried to send stuff back that was incorrect several times. They won’t collect it so they don’t get it. But i did tell them and make it available for collection, plus they’ve always sent the correct item too.

Wafflecopter · 13/12/2019 21:51

@Chloemol - I doubt her 4YO would pick up on this one incident but I get what you mean. I’m still team ‘send it back’

@Gibbonsgibbonsgibbons - What! Thats insanity.

@SD1978 - It’s free to return but if she didn’t reorder she’d have to go out of her way to send it back.

Update: She has been given the idea to sell it and give some to charity.

Thoughts?

OP posts:
Bluntness100 · 13/12/2019 21:51

Meh, I'd keep it and I'd also order more tops from them too.

Creepster · 13/12/2019 21:51

When this sort of thing has happened to me I have contacted the customer service or seller to see if they want it sent back. Sometimes they do and sometimes not.

Evilspiritgin · 13/12/2019 21:56

She would still be a thief though

cakeandchampagne · 13/12/2019 21:56

They need to contact the company.
It would be wrong to keep it unless directed by the company to do so.

MyNewBearTotoro · 13/12/2019 21:58

If it’s a huge online company I doubt they’ll even notice one dress. I would definitely not be going to any effort to keep it. I’d wait a week or so to see if they noticed their mistake, got in touch and offered to collect it via courier but if they didn’t get in touch I would 100% sell it on.

MyNewBearTotoro · 13/12/2019 21:58

Any effort to return it*

Wattagoose90 · 13/12/2019 22:00

Pointing out the error I think would make it more likely that someone could get into trouble for making an honest mistake?

I'd be inclined to go along with the idea of selling and making a donation to charity.

sugarplumtum · 13/12/2019 22:04

Oh my, pp do realise that if it was cheap or expensive the item was still over priced. That sending it back would waste peoples time and get a Packer into trouble.

These items are made and pack by poor people and you think it's the right thing to do to send it back to the rich company.
If this was a small business I definitely would but I've worked in packing and you spend most your time run off you feet or scared you sent the wrong item.

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis · 13/12/2019 22:04

she wouldn't be a thief

but legally she should tell them so they can come get it back

I agree sadly pointing out the mistake more likely to get someone the sack

KitKat1985 · 13/12/2019 22:06

Honestly I'd probably keep it. It's their mistake. I suspect the large online retailer won't ever notice and probably earn enough millions not to have to care.

Justaboy · 13/12/2019 22:06

Matters not if its a large or small company, its a matter of Principle if we know what that is?..

Wafflecopter · 13/12/2019 22:07

@bluntness100 - I think she’s worried they’ll realise that she already has some and question why. I did say that’s unlikely but she should still return them

@lotusbell - I’m not sure, I’ll ask. Grin

@mynewbeartotoro - I think she’ll end up contacting them, she keeps going on about karma and it being Friday 13th. Hmm

She’s said that if she gave a portion to charity it’d be half, and a food bank, not that it matters. Wink

OP posts:
HotChocWithCream · 13/12/2019 22:08

This happened to me before with a bracelet.

The company thanked me for my honestly, told me to keep the bracelet and sent me out the one I originally ordered!

WaxOnFeckOff · 13/12/2019 22:10

Honestly, I got told to keep/donate or destroy another customers parcel with them being totally unaware of what was inside or who it was for - it could have been a diamond ring for all they (or I ) knew.

DH ordered bottles of whisky, they sent the wrong bottles, same brand slight different blend and they told him to keep it and refunded him.

they don't care, tell her to keep it, let DD wear it, then sell it and donate to charity minus what she's paid

Mammyloveswine · 13/12/2019 22:13

I'd keep it! Once received a bottle of Vera wang perfume by mistake, no delivery note just a name and my address... tried to find person on Facebook but couldn't.

daftoldbat · 13/12/2019 22:23

..and the voting on this has explained the election result to me nicely.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

SanFrancisco49er · 13/12/2019 22:41

Send it back. It's dishonest to keep it.

It shouldn't even be a question.

Branster · 13/12/2019 23:18

Oh she might have a point about karma and the 13th!
We once had a parcel delivered from a flower business, different name but correct address on a Sunday. I thought the house number might be wrong so tried all my neighbours as a missdelivery. No luck.
Eventually I got hold of customer service from the flower company explained what happened, it turned out it was the correct name, correct house number and street name but different town and different postcode, two towns away. I offered to drive it to the recipient but I was asked not to as they’d send a replacement with apologies and I can keep the parcel. It contained the most awful duck looking willow flower basked with some daffodils!
When I wanted to return Amazon orders in the past (orders I placed by mistake so entirely my fault) I was told there’s no need and got a refund.
It’s far better to be honest, nothing like a clear conscience for a good night’s sleep.

PatricksRum · 13/12/2019 23:33

If it's Very YABVU
That company is the worst

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.