Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think that someone must be voting Tory

86 replies

Mammylamb · 12/12/2019 22:56

Hi, I know very very few People who admit to voting Tory. I’m from Scotland and from a working class background but do work in finance and have many middle class friends. But only two people I know have admitted voting Tory (and both are from England)

But clearly, someone is voting them in. Can I ask, why do people vote Tory? I just want to understand from the other side

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

106 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
53%
You are NOT being unreasonable
47%
Skyejuly · 12/12/2019 22:57

Because they do not live in reality!

elmosducks · 12/12/2019 22:59

Amazing what billionaire tv owners, newspaper owners and business owners can buy.

Ugh

Paddy1234 · 12/12/2019 22:59

I don't think it's voting Tory to be honest - I think most were genuinely scared of voting for JC and if they voted for Brexit then BJ is trying to put through their wishes.
I am middle ground (have voted for all three in the past).

Andysbestadventure · 12/12/2019 23:00

It's people voting against JC.

ABC.

Babdoc · 12/12/2019 23:00

Because we don’t want another sodding independence referendum! And in marginal seats, the Tories are the best hope of kicking out the SNP.

NoIDontWatchLoveIsland · 12/12/2019 23:00

The Tories really rely on people from relatively modest backgrounds who are aspirational. Honest to god there's almost an unconscious status thing about voting Tory. Its people who believe they are doing well for themselves and that Labour will make them poorer. Often its people who either don't realise truly wealthy are in a different league. Or people who dont think it through in terms of realising how actually rely on the welfare state.

RozHuntleysStump · 12/12/2019 23:01

The labour Voters on my fb are so viscous that I don’t mention it on there. That and I think fb should be kept light.

Mammylamb · 12/12/2019 23:01

I don’t believe that so many people are stupid. There must be a reason people are choosing to vote for them, even if I can’t see the reason

OP posts:
TryingAndFailing39 · 12/12/2019 23:02

I voted Tory and I’m not stupid Grin

Owlypants · 12/12/2019 23:03

I'm Scottish too and know zero Tory voters. I think some people just believe the lies

Mammylamb · 12/12/2019 23:03

@TryingAndFailing39. I’m not saying you are stupid. Can I ask why you vote Tory?

OP posts:
Paddy1234 · 12/12/2019 23:03

But we have just given you a reason - they were genuinely frightened of JC getting into power. It's that simple. It's not a win for the tories but a massive loss for labour.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed · 12/12/2019 23:03

Well if you go by social media the exit poll would be be the other way around

Tories win far more elections

They have lost three elections in 40 years

Sammi38 · 12/12/2019 23:03

If JC wasn’t the leader, Labour would have walked it.

Paddy1234 · 12/12/2019 23:04

If David Miliband has been leader - I doubt Boris would have won.

bluebells1 · 12/12/2019 23:04

Uncosted manifesto and hard left policies killed Labour's chances with the ordinary people. AntiSemitism doesn't help either. Labour needs to drag itself into the left of centre politics to make a comeback. Someone like David Miliband. But the unions won't let that happen.

Justcallmebebes · 12/12/2019 23:04

I voted Tory for the simple reason that there is no credible opposition. If there was my vote may have been different. As much as it pains me to say so, the same may occur next year in the U.S. with Trump. We need a seismic change in politics otherwise we're stuck on a treadmill

Antigonads · 12/12/2019 23:04

The fact that you have to ask the question says everything about you. And explains why people vote Tory.

You’re welcome.

MaxNormal · 12/12/2019 23:04

The people voting Tory are mainly in England I think. I'm in Glasgow and know no-one that doesn't hate them.

hellsbells99 · 12/12/2019 23:05

I agree with Paddy. It’s a vote against JC

RedPandaMama · 12/12/2019 23:06

My grandma and mum both did.

Age 72 and 48 respectively. Both working class. My nan worked as a personal carer on min. wage all her life. Her husband, my grandad, died last year after a battle with cancer including 2 rounds of chemo & a stay in a palliative care unit - all paid for by the NHS, obviously. My mum works part time and is pretty much destitute after my dad left (large property but no income to look after it). Can't find a better job even after applying for over 100 and doing additional qualifications.

I love them but they are both idiots who won't hear otherwise.

WellErrr · 12/12/2019 23:06

I voted Tory because I believe they are the best party to run the country.

Presumably you feel the same about whoever you voted for?

My right to vote was hard won - I appreciate it hugely and use it as I see fit. Just like everyone else.

I think Corbyn had some nice ideas, and some frankly terrifying ones. I don’t believe enough of the nice ones would have materialised, and I do believe that some of the scary ones would.

HTH.

1stmonkey · 12/12/2019 23:09

For me, i read both manifestos and agreed most strongly with the conservative one. Not on everything to be fair. I'm a remainer, a huge supporter of the nhs (but do believe parts of it could be privatised without it being the end of the world), i believe in social care but didn't see vast differences in the amounts being promised, but the decider for me came down to each parties approach to crime. The conservatives recognise a requirement for more prisons and labour's intention to scrap prison sentences under 6 months in length was frankly ludicrous. The idea that Corbyn will piss and whine about knife crime but happily see anyone caught carrying receive nothing more than a stern chat had me firmly place my X in the blue box.

Mammylamb · 12/12/2019 23:09

@Antigonads. I’m sorry, but I really don’t understand your answer.

I’m not on here to Torybash, but to understand the other perspective. I know that JC isn’t popular, but we’ve had a Tory government for most of my life, so I don’t think JC is the reason historically for people voting Tory

OP posts:
Justcallmebebes · 12/12/2019 23:09

Also, for the Tories to win an overall majority shows that the majority voted Tory surely? Not rocket science surely?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.