My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To want to tell my parents about all the times I lied to them as a teenager?

104 replies

Laraloodoo · 08/12/2019 22:14

I had lunch with my parents today and had to fight the urge, again, to tell them about all the stuff I got up to as a teenager that they don’t know about. It’s not anything crazy- usual teen things such as Katie not having given me about 20 items of clothing in a month but that I went through a shoplifting phase, or how I spent half my girly, pamper sleepover nights at 17 raving in a field in hot pants and chewing my face off on E. I just can’t decide whether they’d find it funny or would be upset. Have you all come clean to your parents?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

221 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
93%
You are NOT being unreasonable
7%
DonPablo · 08/12/2019 22:15

I reckon you're underestimating them!

aibutohavethisusername · 08/12/2019 22:15

I wouldn’t tell them.

happycamper11 · 08/12/2019 22:16

Keep it to yourself, no need for them to know

Laraloodoo · 08/12/2019 22:18

DonPalo hehe I have thought that before but they always talk about how good I was as a teenager and how they’re so glad I was risk-averse unlike some of their friend’s children GrinWink

OP posts:
Rombocious · 08/12/2019 22:18

They definitely will not find the shoplifting funny.

What is your motivation for telling them? If it's guilt and you want to unburden yourself then it's probably worth it. If you're just hoping to make them laugh, I can't see the point.

housewifeoflittleitaly · 08/12/2019 22:18

No no & no... don’t do it!

AdriannaP · 08/12/2019 22:19

Definitely don’t do this

AndAnotherNameChanger · 08/12/2019 22:21

yabu to think that a shoplifting phase and doing E are just 'usual teen things' Hmm

TheReef · 08/12/2019 22:21

They were teenagers once too, I bet they've done their fair share of daft stuff, and probably know more about you than you give them credit for .

BooksAreMyOnlyFriends · 08/12/2019 22:21

They probably suspect some of it.
Who knows.. when you were on your 'girly sleepover' they may have been at the local swingers club instead of watching corrie and having an early night.

vivacian · 08/12/2019 22:21

usual teen things

Err.

Yarboosucks · 08/12/2019 22:23

I did this, confessing much the same as you are thinking of. Only told my DM (DF would tell me off!). DM did laugh and said that I could have got away with it as they had no clue!

Laraloodoo · 08/12/2019 22:24

AndAnotherNameChanger well I wouldn’t call them unusual- unless those around me and my friends now all had unusual adolescent years
BooksAreMyOnlyFriend made me giggle. Would make for a good confession session for both of us

OP posts:
virginpinkmartini · 08/12/2019 22:24

Ive told my mum some of the things I got up to (not everything), like smoking weed and being in places I shouldn't have been. I think a part of me wanted to prove to her that even though she was strict and didn't want me to go off the rails, I still did 'bad things' and ended up being a good and productive person. She ended up telling me the shit she got up to as well, almost to the point where it felt like she was being competitive with me lol.

Noone can say for sure whether you should be open about it without knowing your dynamic with her. Depends on how well you are currently doing. If you're currently an absolute jake ball then she might be devastated that she didn't see the signs in your teen years , but if you're doing well for yourself now she might think 'no harm, no foul` and appreciate your openness.

Bonkersblond · 08/12/2019 22:25

You know that thing called Karma, it all comes back, my parents never knew what I got up to, but now I have teenagers I worry about them so much cause I knew what I got up to, pay back time!!

whereiwanttobe · 08/12/2019 22:25

My daughter loves to tell me about all the times she bunked off school, went out under-age drinking when she was meant to be at a friend's house for a sleepover, how she never turned up for lectures at uni etc etc. Far from finding it funny, It makes me feel like a totally crap parent for not realising and thinking she was doing ok.

Loopytiles · 08/12/2019 22:27

It’d upset them. What would be your motivation?

Whatisthisfuckery · 08/12/2019 22:28

It very much depends on your parents and how old you are. If you’re 22 then no, if you’re 45 then do it, as long as they’re not the type to be upset at their illusions being shattered.

I took loads of drugs when I was a teen and my bloody sister blabbed to my parents when we were older. They weren’t too fussed as I’d made it out the other side alright. If your parents have a perfect image of you though they might not welcome the knowledge.

YouretheChristmasCarcass · 08/12/2019 22:28

Please don't. As an adult I had a similar 'urge'. My lovely Mum said "If I didn't find out about it then, I certainly don't want to know about it now!!!". I kept quiet. Why on earth would I want to make her unhappy?

My sons are now adults. I've told them the same thing.

pallisers · 08/12/2019 22:30

NO! My youngest is now 18 and not only do I not want to hear what went on in the younger teen years, I don't want to know what they are doing right now that I wouldn't approve of.

They would not find it funny. Is it even funny? I mean I know it is funny to you that you were raving in a field rather than being at a sleepover but is it funny to anyone else?

ThebishopofBanterbury · 08/12/2019 22:30

What's the point? Why not leave the past in the past. To those seeming shocked that op considers these things normal activities, I say lighten up. It was pretty normal when I was young in that 80%of kids I knew did similar things. Perhaps times have changed nowadays. Either way still don't see the point in yelling your parents about things from years ago!

AntiHop · 08/12/2019 22:31

Why would you tell them? I think that would nasty. Also I agree with pp, those were not usual teen things.

Whoops75 · 08/12/2019 22:31

Please don’t,it’s hard enough being a parent, leave the past in the past.

GreatGallopingSarah · 08/12/2019 22:32

Erm... shoplifting phase, chewing your face off on E? Not standard teenage behaviour I’m afraid because neither me nor any of my friends were doing that so unless we had unusual adolescent years...Hmm

Depends who your friends were I think.

As a parent I don’t think I’d find it as funny as you obviously think you would to tell them.

SnipSnipMrBurgess · 08/12/2019 22:34

Why is it when middle class kids go off in fields off their head and also go shoplifting, its described as usual teenage fun but when its kids from disadvantaged families and working class backgrounds, its scummy and chavvy?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.