Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To take Brexit personally?

352 replies

Fiep · 29/11/2019 09:46

I’m preparing to be flamed but I really want to hear views from all sides. Do try to be kind though.

I’m an EU citizen. I’ve lived in the UK for all my adult life and have spent most of that working with NHS patients. I’m a qualified professional and there is a skills shortage - we never manage to fill all our posts.

Most people can’t tell by my accent that I’m from the EU and instead assume I’m from another English-speaking country unless I tel them my name (which sounds foreign) or speak in another language.

Before the referendum I felt the UK was my home. It was the place I’d spent most of my life and I’ve always loved the British humour and quirky way of looking at things.

Nobody ever gave me grief about being foreign and I felt welcome and valued.

Shortly after the referendum, someone verbally abused me on a bus when they overheard me speaking in a European language on the phone. It really upset me. I’m privileged by most measures and I’m white, so I was not used to racist abuse. I now have a baby and struggle to talk to her in my language in public as I feel people are giving me judgemental looks when I’m out and about and speaking “foreign”, especially as I live in a rural place where the majority of shoppers at the big Tesco are White British and I see quite a few Union Jack / St George’s flag tattoos. This denies her the chance to grow up bilingual and I feel guilty about that. I do speak / read / sing to her at home but it’s not enough immersion in the language for it to make a difference.

On the other hand, most of my colleagues in health have always been immigrants too and I struggle to see how the NHS would run if it was just White British staffed.

AIBU to feel really angry about Brexit? To feel it’s just vitriol and wanting the country to be white? To take it personally and to let it affect me in that way? To look around the shops and feel that prejudice has been legitimised?

I’d actually be really keen to hear from Leavers as well as Remainers as I really can’t get my head around how anyone could have thought this was a good idea for something as woolly as “sovereignty” or whatever.

braces self for impact

OP posts:
FishCanFly · 04/12/2019 11:38

I am certain that many citizens of former Eastern bloc countries, other than your relation, would be outraged at the comparison too.

Outraged isn't the word. The ignorance and stupidity of such comparison is unbelievable.

Lightkeeper · 06/12/2019 11:10

I'm not on MN every day, so I've only seen this thread now... and haven't read all the posts.

OP - I'm very annoyed with Brexit. I have dual citizenship... and I do take it personally. So many people moan about Trump. But Brexit is a lot worse than Trump!!! The Americans can get rid of the orange buffoon next year – if not, he'll definitely be gone 4 years down the line. If he did decide he wants to extend his leadership (as he often says), there are legal obstacles, and failing that... a military coup would probably sabotage his plan (given he's becoming more and more unpopular with the upper ranks of the military). Basically, Trump can be undone, reversed, etc.

Brexit, on the other hand, is here to stay. Once done, it won't be reversed anytime soon. That's what a lot of people don't seem to get. We have frequent elections. If we don't like what a previous party has done, then we can vote another one in and 'try something else'. If we do Brexit and realize it doesn't work... we won't be able to just join again and expect the same privileges within the EU as we have now. No chance.

Also? The whole "Get Brexit Done" tagline? A lie. Gove can't name one country that got a trade deal with the EU within 12 months. We would have to renegotiate 759 treaties with 168 countries. I don't expect Brexit to be 'done' in my lifetime... although other countries will certainly be done with us.

My dual citizenship is now my Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card. It will afford me privileges others don't have. I worry about those who haven't voted for this and will see their current rights curtailed... but I have stopped caring for those who have and haven't changed their mind despite all that has happened. Never in my life have I felt like this lack of empathy about a large group of people... but we are where we are.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.