Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Missed 3 hours of lunch break

366 replies

ThereIsNoLeftFalangie · 21/11/2019 05:48

AIBU to feel quite pissed off that I've missed out on 3 hours of my lunch break.
Work in a school, have been on quite a few trips for the last term. On trips the children get 30 mins lunch with staff eating alongside and supervising. Normally at school staff will get an hour lunch which is not paid. I don't mind missing out 30mins on the odd trip but it's taking the micky when im owed 2 hours. We're all expected to do things out of goodwill but thoses favours are never reciprocated by management. If they had to pay me for all the times I've worked passed my finish time they'd be in for a shock. Should I mention the 3 hours im owed?

OP posts:
thecatfromjapan · 21/11/2019 11:00

Yes. They do.

Start small.

No need to mark yourself out as a 'noted troublemaker' and easy to be got rid of.

But subtly radicalise other workers.

One conversation at a time.

One thread at a time.

'Hope lies in inspiring rebellion in the breadth of women.'

CareOfPunts · 21/11/2019 11:01

Well exactly @thecatfromjapan. So what if other people have to work through lunch. It’s not a race to the bottom. Teachers, nurses etc are part of a large unionised workforce and should be able to use that to their advantage to negotiate fair terms and conditions. Who knows, perhaps it might then trickle outwards to other workplaces and sectors

thecatfromjapan · 21/11/2019 11:01

'In the breasts of women.'

(That's a quote - but I can't remember who by.)

CuriousaboutSamphire · 21/11/2019 11:03

Ah! I was once that noted trouble maker - just before I resigned.

I stood up at our local branch meeting and told His Onner that he needed to stop telling us what HQ wanted from us and to start telling HQ what we, the membership, wanted from them!

I wasn't prepared to listen to an hour of his justifying his job, I wanted t know wat actions were being planned to alleviate the very real isues in education.

He blustered... I left. A few others trickled out with me.

All unions are much the same since some government or other basically made them illegal! And we do nothing....

CuriousaboutSamphire · 21/11/2019 11:04

unionised workforce and should be able to use that to their advantage to negotiate fair terms and conditions. Except they can't... ref. many recent attempts to do just that!

thecatfromjapan · 21/11/2019 11:09

No, Curious.i feel your rage. And you're here - still speaking out.

You're an example of how hard it is, without collective action. And how hard it can be to speak out.

But it's not worthless.

Each time we speak out, we give people the words to name the exploitation and to see it for wat it is.

Give one person the words to put a sense of dissatisfaction into a concrete understanding of exploitation and you have saved a woman from pointless rage and depression.

Give many women the words to name it and you create a movement that can take collective action and fight back.

It matters.

And it works.

thecatfromjapan · 21/11/2019 11:12

I still think the NEU need to raise their fucking game, though.

What a half-arsed Union they are.

middlemuddle · 21/11/2019 11:13

There's some bloody awful responses on here, AIBU seems to be a place to come to be a total dick to the OP regardless these days

Elodie2019 · 21/11/2019 11:13

A lunch break? In a school?
Never had one in 24 years as a secondary school teacher.
It's relentless.

I went part -time. I now get a break (at home) during the week.

SaveTheTreesPlease · 21/11/2019 11:13

Appalled at how many people think it’s OK to expect low-paid workers to work for free. If you’re a HT on a high salary, yes, but a TA should NOT be routinely working through their unpaid lunch break, FFS!!

Elodie2019 · 21/11/2019 11:14

TAs should most definitely get their lunch break off.
They're paid a stupidly low wage for the work they do.

thecatfromjapan · 21/11/2019 11:17

By the way, the reason why exploitation of TAs is a particularly good place to look at taking action is because, as other posters have pointed out, it takes their pay to an illegal level. Below minimum wage. Illegal.

QueenBlueberries · 21/11/2019 11:50

I'm surprised at all the Teachers on here not understanding or reading the OP's post properly. She is not a teacher. She doesn't get a teacher's salary. She doesn't get a teacher's pension. Bloody hell, please read the OP before posting.

fedup21 · 21/11/2019 12:44

I'm surprised at all the Teachers on here not understanding or reading the OP's post properly. She is not a teacher. She doesn't get a teacher's salary. She doesn't get a teacher's pension. Bloody hell, please read the OP before posting.

Where does it say in the OP that she’s a TA, not a teacher?

itsmecathycomehome · 21/11/2019 12:50

How often are you needed on a trip?

How many hours do they owe you in 'trip lunch hours' across the year?

You could refuse to attend trips, ask to be paid or ask for time in lieu. But I suspect that there's a queue of people who would love the job and not mind taking the hit.

QueenBlueberries · 21/11/2019 12:53

Yes Sherlock. Let me see. She isn't paid for her one hour lunch break, she works directly with children in a school and she regularly goes on school trips. I don't think an admin person would do that, or a first aider/school nurse. Maybe she is a cleaner? No don't think so.

fedup21 · 21/11/2019 12:55

Yes Sherlock.Let me see.She isn't paid for her one hour lunch break, she works directly with children in a school and she regularly goes on school trips

Those things apply to teachers as well. The OP did not specify which she was; hence the confusion.

Walkaround · 21/11/2019 15:27

If your employment contract specifically sets out the hours during which you are obliged to work, for which you are paid an hourly rate, and also specifically carves out an hour in that day when you are unpaid and not expected to be working, then it is a breach of contract to tell that person to work the hour for free. You can ask them to work overtime, but you cannot refuse to pay them overtime for an hour every day that you have specifically stated in their contract that they are not employed to work. Simples. If you want people to work over lunch, then you don't specify that lunchtime is unpaid in their contract.

Do teachers' employment contracts specify that their paid working hours each day are, eg, 8.30am-12pm and 1pm-3.30pm (with 12-1pm being unpaid), term time only, at, eg, £9.50 per hour? I would be very surprised if that were the case, so can only assume the OP is indeed a member of support staff.

Walkaround · 21/11/2019 15:59

And you are not being "that person" if you do not expect to be treated as though you are someone on an annual salary when you are in fact paid by the hour for working specific hours. Employers should not inflict unpaid breaks on staff if they expect those staff to pretend they are on annual salaries.

EleanorShellstrop100 · 21/11/2019 15:59

I’m a teacher and in my school we all get lunch breaks. Of course OP is allowed to be annoyed. Stop being so ‘my life is harder so you have to accept your problems’. People are allowed to be upset about shit work conditions even if other people have the same or worse shit.

Pinkblueberry · 21/11/2019 16:37

A lunch break? In a school?
Never had one in 24 years as a secondary school teacher.
It's relentless.

I agree it’s relentless - although all of my colleagues who have been teaching this length of time would say it was a lot less relentless 20 years ago. Once or twice a week I might work through my whole lunch break - most of us generally find 20 mins to sit in the staff room and eat at least a couple of times a week. So you’re either in a very terrible school that’s overworking you to a ridiculous extent, or you’re quite frankly doing it wrong and aren’t organising yourself very well. No lunch break in 24 years is just silly and unecessary. A lot of overtime and lunchtime martyrs on here...

Karwomannghia · 21/11/2019 17:08

Walkaround as you thought, a FT teacher is paid for 5.5hrs a day, so only lesson times are included. Breaks, holidays and work done before and after school is unpaid. They do not have any paid breaks. However the paid time is meant to cover the extras but also means you can leave when the bell goes if you need to (although I understand some schools demand teachers stay till 5!) So the OP is definitely a TA. My TAs get paid overtime.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

KittenLedWeaning · 21/11/2019 17:20

The OP did not specify which she was; hence the confusion

It's possible the OP is a teacher, but wouldn't she have been more likely in that case to say "I'm a teacher" than "I work in a school" ?

saraclara · 21/11/2019 17:27

I love the way people are saying that teachers should protest their work conditions. I taught for 40 years, I took industrial action over our conditions, I went on strike several times re: our conditions of work.

We achieved nothing, and had virtually no public support. Letting the children down, destroying their education, being selfish...you name it we were accused of it. And I'm sure that some of the same people who say we're stupid to lie down and accept it would be among the first to complain when we strike and they have to find emergency child care for their children.

Biggobyboo · 21/11/2019 18:17

Next people will be saying that TAs and teachers should pay to go to work for the sheer joy and privilege of educating other people’s children. Because it’s a vocation and they are called by God. Hmm

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.