Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Missed 3 hours of lunch break

366 replies

ThereIsNoLeftFalangie · 21/11/2019 05:48

AIBU to feel quite pissed off that I've missed out on 3 hours of my lunch break.
Work in a school, have been on quite a few trips for the last term. On trips the children get 30 mins lunch with staff eating alongside and supervising. Normally at school staff will get an hour lunch which is not paid. I don't mind missing out 30mins on the odd trip but it's taking the micky when im owed 2 hours. We're all expected to do things out of goodwill but thoses favours are never reciprocated by management. If they had to pay me for all the times I've worked passed my finish time they'd be in for a shock. Should I mention the 3 hours im owed?

OP posts:
twosoups1972 · 23/11/2019 12:14

I'm a nurse. I usually only get one half hour break in a 12.5 hour shift

And that's is absolutely appalling. Patient care and safety is at risk surely??

Biggobyboo · 23/11/2019 12:18

My mum had a high powered job, worked all hours and ended up having a breakdown and being off work sick for months. She’s a lot better now she’s retired.

Funnily enough the same happened to my dad.

They were both jobs in finance, not life or death. They both say now that did anything they do at the jobs actually matter or make a difference? Was it worth the 60 hour weeks to be so ill? Ummm no.

Oh and they both got payouts from those roles. But I doubt the dickheads they worked for can even recall their names now.

LemonPrism · 23/11/2019 12:24

@twosoups1972 how long was your shift that you got that many breaks?!

Walkaround · 23/11/2019 12:30

It really is supremely dim to say you are treated badly at work, so everyone else should be, too.

twosoups1972 · 23/11/2019 12:31

@LemonPrism a normal working day in retail, about 9-6 or 10-7

adaline · 23/11/2019 13:00

So many people arguing that because their working conditions are shit, that other people's should be as well Hmm

Why should other people have no breaks just because you don't get to take yours?

GleamInYourEyes · 23/11/2019 13:06

@MrsBadcrumble123 - you seem confused. Competition for jobs is fierce but also people who are treated badly/illegally at work can easily just leave and find something else? Which is it?

Walkaround · 23/11/2019 13:20

GleamInYourEyes - I think MrsBadCrumble is just a bit dim and thinks because it is easy to say the words, "I resign" and stop turning up for work that this means people can also easily fulfil all their commitments without enough money. After all, if you can work 150 extra hours a year for no extra pay, why can't your energy supplier give you extra gas for your central heating for free? They have a bloody cheek expecting us to pay for their services in full. After all, we live in an economy where people give away their services for free and ignore the terms of their own employment contracts all the time. Why not expect the same from landlords, mortgage providers, supermarkets, etc? Grin

MrsBadcrumble123 · 23/11/2019 13:51

silly argument?? Grin seriously it’s 3 hours Hmm @walkaround a bit dim?! I’m a veterinary surgeon - you sound like a moron I’m pleased I don’t work with a moany old goat like you but then you wouldn’t last 5 minutes - change your career if you don’t like it and let someone else do the job 🙄

Biggobyboo · 23/11/2019 13:53

Next people will be saying “I work for free and have to live on the streets but I do it for the HONOUR and PRIVILEGE of working for corporation XYZ.”

I’m actually surprised that employers don’t advertise jobs and expect people to pay to work there!

To get a place on a healthcare professional university course it seems you have to volunteer as a ward helper for a year. And of courses nurses etc pay for their degrees via student loans. As do student teachers unless they get a bursary or salaried place.

Biggobyboo · 23/11/2019 13:55

MrsBadcrumble123, you say you work for a charity. Why are you allowing them to pay you, it’s a charity you know, you should work for free! 🤪

Walkaround · 23/11/2019 13:57

MrsBadCrumble - in what way is your argument not silly? Pray do tell.

Walkaround · 23/11/2019 14:00

And if you actually read the OP's posts, you would see that working beyond her contracted hours is the norm - the 3 hours she is talking about are just the straw that broke the camel's back

Biggobyboo · 23/11/2019 14:03

Teachers and TAs should work for free for the joy of teaching other people’s little horrors don’t you know! I had an old school lecturer on my PGCE who repeatedly told us teaching was an honour, joy and privilege! 😂

CareOfPunts · 23/11/2019 14:08

It might only be 3 hours to you but some people can’t afford to work that unpaid. It could be £25 to someone on the NMW, it might make a real difference to them.

Walkaround · 23/11/2019 14:14

Also, MrsBadCrumble, I strongly suspect that as a vet working for a charity you earn considerably in excess of the amount a TA is paid per hour. Yet you apparently expect someone earning close to national minimum wage to have exactly the same attitude as you to how many hours they are willing and able to work unpaid. I am sure 3-hours is a genuine drop in the ocean to you, but no so much to people on low pay.

adaline · 23/11/2019 14:43

silly argument?? seriously it’s 3 hours

So what? It shouldn't matter whether it's 3 hours, 30 minutes or 30 hours - people shouldn't be expected to work for free!

If you are hourly paid then any overtime should be paid overtime - it's not like most of these companies would pay you if you needed three hours off for a hospital appointment - they'd tell you to take it unpaid or to make the time up.

If I'm paid to work 37.5 hours and my company need me in for 40 then I expect to be paid for 40. I know full well I'm easily replaced so I'm not giving them any of my time for free. If they need me in for 2.5 hours extra they can damn well pay me for it!

Reba0706 · 23/11/2019 18:34

I work for a charity. I'm paid for 16 hours a week. I do at least 37 a week - mostly from home to fit around the family. I enjoy my job - in fact I love it, so I don't mind, It's not about the hours for me it's about the end result

30somethingandtired · 23/11/2019 18:34

I work in a school. We are supposed to get a 30minute unpaid lunch break.
I've not taken a lunch break away from the children for 5 years.

If you usually get an hour then you're getting off easily, make the most of it.

Reba0706 · 23/11/2019 18:36

Oh and I'm only just above minimum wage so it's not well paid

BoomBoomsCousin · 23/11/2019 20:10

Reba0706 whether you like it or not, if you're only just above minimum wage and working more than double the hours you're paid for your charity is acting illegally and it sounds like you're helping them do it.

CareOfPunts · 23/11/2019 21:19

Reba0706 whether you like it or not, if you're only just above minimum wage and working more than double the hours you're paid for your charity is acting illegally and it sounds like you're helping them do it.

This and even if you don’t say anything, they still might be investigated my NMW investigators, have to pay up, and be publicly named and shamed. You would be doing them a favour to either stop this practice or tell them to cough up.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Walkaround · 23/11/2019 21:52

Or just do voluntary work and stop expecting any pay at all...

Walkaround · 23/11/2019 21:55

No need for any money, really, if you are only interested in the end result.

Pomley · 23/11/2019 21:59

@Reba0706 if that's true, please don't keep doing so much work unpaid. Yes it's a charity, and yes you say you enjoy it; but if there's a full time amount of work, they should employ you full time.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.