My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Aibu to ask how much you spend on food per month?

111 replies

booklover164 · 11/11/2019 15:18

There's me, my husband and 16month old. I shop at Aldi every week and spend about £300 per month. We have the odd takeaway and I batch cook everything. I'm trying to find ways to cut costs but not sure if it's unreasonable to expect to do a shop any cheaper. We buy a lot of fresh fruit and veg and eat meat regularly. How much do you spend per month? I'm wondering whether it's worth bulk buying at the start of the month...

OP posts:
Justasconfusedwithnumber2 · 11/11/2019 15:20

About the same as you OP and we shop at morrisons with mid week coop top ups. That's me (currently 31 weeks and eating everything, DH and 2yo). Would love to cut back. Did shop at aldi for abit but they were too inconsistent (and didn't deliver when I could no longer be arsed to go)

Oysterbabe · 11/11/2019 15:22

About £350 a month for 2 adults, a nearly 2 year old and nearly 4 year old. It includes cleaning products and nappies for the nearly 2 year old.

Amanduh · 11/11/2019 15:25

£200 a month max, including any top ups, household bits, pull ups and wipes etc. For two adults and a 2yo. And that’s not being frugal, no bulk buying, no batch cooking

Swer987 · 11/11/2019 15:29

I live on my own. I try and keep my weekly shop to £20. I shop in Aldi mostly.

Lunch is provided at work, so I don’t have to worry about that. I batch cook and usually have things two nights in a row and then a freezer portion. I eat from the freezer quite a bit. I also always have frozen brocolli, peas, sprouts, green beans etc as, for me, its much better as buying fresh would go off.

I plan in advance of my shop and go around with my calculator to keep within my budget.

Jollitwiglet · 11/11/2019 15:30

2 adults and a toddler and usually spend between 40-50 a week. That includes weekly fresh fruit and salad. We don't really buy any drink like squash or fizzy and usually stick to fruit for snacks. We usually meal plan so only buy what we know we need and I usually bulk out meals (e.g cottage pie) with veg so we use less meat in each meal. We also only eat meat maximum once a day. I also do quite a bit of home baking so if we have dessert or accompanying bread or similar, I make it myself which saves money. But obviously I'm lucky to be in a position that i have time to do that

Randomname85 · 11/11/2019 15:32

I shop at Aldi every week. It’s me my husband and our two year old. I spend between £50-60 at Aldi every week but this doesn’t include top ups in the week such as bread, milk, nappies x

PrincessHoneysuckle · 11/11/2019 15:33

Around £250 per month for me,dh and ds 5

PrincessHoneysuckle · 11/11/2019 15:34

From Tesco or asda

ChileConCarne · 11/11/2019 15:36

I guess £70 a week = £280 a month. That’s for two of us, cooking from scratch and being mostly sensible, with a few treats thrown in. We eat out/get a takeaway probably once a fortnight on top.

WeirdCatLady · 11/11/2019 15:37

About £800 per month for three adults on groceries, not including food eaten/prepared outside of the home.

Amber2019 · 11/11/2019 15:40

100 per week then top ups during the week. Probably 500 per month, 2 adults, 1 year old, 15 year old and a cat. Thats toiletries, nappies, cleaning products. Shop at lidl and local stores for top ups.

YippeeKayakOtherBuckets · 11/11/2019 15:40

Two adults, two teens and a younger child. I can tell you to the penny. £355.60 in Tesco and then £79.75 in the Co op (milk, bread, booze).

I meal plan and we only eat meat a couple of times a week.

We used to spend twice that but I’ve changed how I shop. For example buying the exact amount of loose veg (eg two carrots instead of a pack) saves about a fiver a week and no wastage. If I need half a jar of curry paste in a recipe I’ll search for another recipe for the other half that week. Little savings that add up.

I don’t find batch cooking saves much money, but using leftovers does. For example I did a Bombay pot roast chicken yesterday and then had Bombay potatoes with poppadums for lunch while DH took the leftover chicken in his sandwiches.

PinkyU · 11/11/2019 15:40

Family of 5 (3 adults, 9 and 6 year old), we spend between £250-280 per month including household, toiletries and nappies.

We shop wherever I can get free delivery slots and/or have money off vouchers for. I do 3 weekly meal plans which range between £63/week to £74/week (ish). I probably could get it down but because we only shop online it’s a bit more difficult.

We bulk but loo roll, kitchen roll, laundry detergent every 3ish months, doing so saves a fair bit for us.

Celebelly · 11/11/2019 15:42

Generally in excess of £300 for two adults and one 9mo baby. We aren't very frugal shoppers. I make all of our food from scratch mostly and do buy some more expensive meat cuts, etc. That includes all our cleaning/household stuff too, but not the pet food (that's about another hundred quid a month!)

PinkyU · 11/11/2019 15:44

Should have added, ours includes pet supplies for 1 cat also.

jaseyraex · 11/11/2019 15:45

I do a monthly shop at Asda and spend about £280 including cleaning products, nappies etc. Then top ups from sainsburys each week on fresh stuff, usually an extra £50-70 max. I have a meal plan and do pretty well to stick to it. Cook mostly from scratch and always keep a few frozen pizzas and wedges in to minimise takeaways on can't be arsed cooking days. Would be cheaper if the kids would eat what we eat. That's me, DH, autistic 4 year old who pretty much lives off beige food and 1 year old with a milk allergy.

AliceLittle · 11/11/2019 15:46

£180-200 per month. Just DH and I not really being frugal but we mostly buy whole foods to prepare meals.

searchingforlight · 11/11/2019 15:47

£200 ish a month on food shopping for 2 adults and a toddler. Toddler is in pre-school FT so most meals are there and one adult is also at work 5 days a week so missed lunch and sometimes breakfast. We do spend a bit extra on eating out or takeaways though

MrsL2016 · 11/11/2019 15:57

2 adults and a 20 month old here and our budget is £180 a month. Shop at Aldi once a week and the only top ups are milk and bread.

Teenangels · 11/11/2019 15:58

I have no idea how to spend less on shopping and I really don’t see how some can only spend £50 a week, we spend around £200-£250 a week and there are not many luxuries in there and I am always topping up as well.
I went to Aldi and found that although I didn’t spend as much, I had to go to another supermarket and buy things I couldn’t get at Aldi.

SantaIsReal · 11/11/2019 16:03

For 2 adults, a 3 year old and an 11 month old who both eat everything, 1 cat & 1 dog around £300 per month.
We shop in Lidl & Aldi for our food shop and cleaning products and Tesco for the dog/cat food.

FunOnTheBeach20 · 11/11/2019 16:11

Around £400. I batch cook, we’re not wasteful. DH eats so much. My foodbill went up three fold when I met him. He’s healthy, just a big guy.

Two adults, two children.

ThatMuppetShow · 11/11/2019 16:19

Teenangels
glad it's not just me!

I found Aldi ok, but it's so time consuming as you cannot shop online, and and they don't sell anything I need.

I don't want to scrimp on food, I am happy to keep treats, and rubbish to a minimum, but my kids needs healthy food and around here, it's not that cheap. I mean, I could buy squash but I prefer to buy fresh fruits and make them smoothies when they want a treat.

I also found that it takes too long and end up cost a lot to try cheap options. Some are brilliant, but others end up in the bin straight away, so in total it doesn't end up saving much.

neversleepagain · 11/11/2019 16:23

£350-£400 a month for 2 adults, 2 seven year olds and a cat, I shop and with Ocado. That includes everything (we don't drink).

tobebebebe · 11/11/2019 16:25

We spend £240 a month. Two adults, one almost 2 year old, 1 cat and 1 dog.

I shop at aldi and meal plan. Ideally I'd love to do cheaper but that would mean no treats, and we can't have that!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.