Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Champions league ban at wedding

User12038483 · 18/05/2019 11:21

Were attending a wedding the day of the champion leagues final, now Liverpool have gotten to the final DH understandably wants to watch it. The majority of people attending are from Liverpool and the surrounding areas, my DH included. The couple getting married have now put out a notice saying that they have chosen not to screen the champions league, and they do not want anyone to ask for it to be put on, to leave and watch it or to be watching it on any devices and to please respect that this day is about them.

On one hand, I get it.. it's your wedding day. You want it to be about you. But DH and his brothers aren't willing to miss such a massive game and are now trying to work out a plan to be able to watch it and then return to the wedding after. It ended with DH and I having a bit of an argument because I think it's extremely rude to leave, watch the game and return. It's just been left with they will be watching and that's that, they think the bride and groom are being unreasonable to put a blanket ban on the whole thing and not just shove it on a tele in the bar. There's over 200 guests invited to the wedding.

Who's being unreasonable?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Betty777 · 18/05/2019 12:23

HBStowe - I entirely agree. it's very weird.

Please
or

fleshmarketclose · 18/05/2019 12:23

I think seeing as it's shown at 8pm when the formal bits are long done then it would be better to have a TV somewhere fo their guests to view tbh rather than people leaving the reception to go and watch in the pub down the road.

Please
or

ScreamingValenta · 18/05/2019 12:24

what about the groom?

Presumably, he's not interested in football. Not all men are. Thankfully, my husband has no interest in it (I wouldn't have married anyone with more than a passing interest in football!).

Please
or

Leeds2 · 18/05/2019 12:24

There is no way that the bride and groom will be able to prevent Liverpool and Spurs supporters from watching the game. And they would be unwise to try!
If I had received such a message, I would tell them that I could no longer attend the wedding at all, and enjoy being at home for the build up.

Please
or

RomanyQueen1 · 18/05/2019 12:24

I don't think they can stop people tbh.
Obviously, they shouldn't screen it, but they can't confiscate peoples phone. Don't people just look at the results and updates at times like this.

Please
or

MummaGiles · 18/05/2019 12:25

The game is at 8pm. It’s after the ceremony, the meal, the cake, and will be well into the party element of the day. It’s inevitable people will want to watch it. I know I’ll get flamed for this, but I think the bride and groom should make allowances or they risk losing a big wedge of their guests. To say people can’t even follow on their devices, when at that point they are essentially on a night out (all the proper wedding stuff is over with) is pretty strict.

Please
or

HeronLanyon · 18/05/2019 12:25

I fear for the b and g because having issues their ‘request’, even if there is some kind of ‘intervention’ and change of heart I can’t imagine them embracing it all and having fun. Even though I think they are being ridiculous I feel sorry for them!

Please
or

SmarmyMrMime · 18/05/2019 12:25

The worst wedding I went to was dominated by some sporting match which meant we were stuck up the arse end of nowhere in an extortionate hotel following a 12pm wedding with nothing other than coffee and a couple of biscuits to tide us over until about 8pm when the wedding breakfast was served. Not helped by the couple buggering off for a prolonged photo shoot before said sports match occured.

Generally it is better to work with the inevitable rather than resist it, but leaving half your guests bored and ravenous for at least 5 hours is not the way to do it!

Please
or

CaptainButtock · 18/05/2019 12:25

I attended a wedding on a day when England were playing Germany. (Can’t remember which tournament or whatever...)
B&G got a big tv put in reception and a fab time was had by all. (We won 5-1!) Some superb photos of people celebrating goals etc. People who weren’t interested were on dance floor/at bar or whatever. It’s only 90 mins.
If this was my wedding, I would def prefer to accommodate this rather than having a room full of sulky, resentful guests. Recipe for a crap atmosphere.

Please
or

BluebellCockleshell123 · 18/05/2019 12:26

I loathe football. But even I would realise that this game would be a big deal to a lot of the guests and I would try to jiggle the timings around to make sure that the kick off wasn't in the middle of the meal and that there was somewhere for the fans to watch it. I would also make sure that the TV was switched off straight away afterwards though and everyone corralled back into the main reception!

Please
or

Contraceptionismyfriend · 18/05/2019 12:27

You can't bloody watch it later!

Please
or

TidyDancer · 18/05/2019 12:27

B&G are being selfish and it's really pointless anyway because football fans will find a way to watch this. A silly ban like this will not stop them.

Please
or

NameChangeMcgee · 18/05/2019 12:27

I planned my game around the football season, and thought I was all clear. However, Andy Murray was playing in the Wimbledon final on the day! I had the TV on and it was no big deal. Better then people skulking about watching the game on devices or leaving en masse!

Please
or

NameChangeMcgee · 18/05/2019 12:28

*wedding, not game FFS

Please
or

kalopali · 18/05/2019 12:29

Pathetic little boys. Tell them to grow the fuck up.

Please
or

HeronLanyon · 18/05/2019 12:29

Grinnamechange

Please
or

HeronLanyon · 18/05/2019 12:30

And girls ffs

Please
or

Runbitchrun · 18/05/2019 12:30

The sexism on this thread is astonishing. I’ve lost count of how many posts have assumed it’s the men who will be going out to watch the match. As a woman, and a Liverpool fan, I’d be devastated to be put in this position. If they feel so strongly, they shouldn’t have scheduled their big day on the same date as one of the biggest games in football.

Please
or

ineedaholidaynow · 18/05/2019 12:31

Would people saying that they would put football before the wedding say the same thing if kick off coincided with the actual ceremony/speeches?

Also the bit about the wedding being about the bride and groom, well technically it is, and if they weren't getting married there wouldn't be a meal or a party to go to!

Please
or

AnnaComnena · 18/05/2019 12:31

he records the game and avoids hearing the result until he can watch it.

Easy enough when it's an overseas team. But avoiding the result of a big Liverpool game, in Liverpool? No chance. If Liverpool win, half the city (the red half) will be out singing and dancing in the streets. Staff at the wedding venue will be talking about it among themselves and may have a tv in their break room.

(Am I the only person here old enough to remember the Likely Lads episode when Bob and Terry were trying to avoid hearing the result of a match?)

I would think that your DH will not be alone.

He will not be walking alone? FootballAngryFootballAngryFootballAngryFootballGrin

Please
or

churchthecat · 18/05/2019 12:32

If it's a scouse wedding theres no way everyone won't be looking at their phones.

I'd put a big projector screen up.

I'm getting married next year and I understand that although it's a big day to me, it's not the biggest day of everyone's lives, and if my wedding was on 1st June I'd absolutely understand people wanting to watch it.

The football is going to be far more important to a lot of people there than the wedding.

I think B&G should suck it up and have it on a screen. Otherwise it's going to be 90 minutes of an empty room/everyone refreshing bbc sport on their phones.

Please
or

User12038483 · 18/05/2019 12:33

"With our big day just around the corner we wanted to send this notice as we know most of you are Reds.

We have made the decision to put a blanket ban in place on the Champions League final. Whilst we acknowledge this is a big game, this is an even bigger day (I mean, we're getting married!)

We kindly ask that none of our guests ask for the game to be put on, go watch elsewhere or watch on any devices. You can watch the game later - but you can't replay our day.

Thank you for your understanding (and YNWA)"

I honestly think they'd of been better of saying nothing, sending an email like this to 200 Scousers isn't going to end the way you want it to, surely? I don't know the bride, or I would talk to her. DH and his brothers are friends of the groom, I've met him once or twice but never met the bride. According to DH neither are football fans.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Alsonification · 18/05/2019 12:33

If it were my wedding I’d have the match on in the main reception room so everyone could watch if they wanted without having to leave their seats. I’m not a big football fan (my ds is an arsenal fan) but i think it would be great craic especially if Liverpool win. Your wedding would be remembered as the best wedding in history lol. The bride & groom are being very precious.

Please
or

NunoGoncalves · 18/05/2019 12:33

Depends whose wedding it is surely? There are some people's weddings that would be more important than a football match to me, but plenty that wouldn't!

Please
or

IvanaPee · 18/05/2019 12:33

I love how people are blaming the bride here.

Whoever said her dh is football fan and also a grownup who can exercise enough sense to record a game and watch it later, mine is too. Thank fuck. All these overgrown babies who can’t just watch it later...

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.