Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Wedding reception- takeaway at home?

DorisandDeidre · 28/04/2019 13:00

Would we BU to do this? Considering having the church ceremony and then going back to ours for a takeaway. Would you be okay with this as a guest? We have a small guest list (less than 15) and most have complex dietary requirements so we were thinking takeaway gives them the option of where we get the food from.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HollowTalk · 28/04/2019 13:01

It depends on the takeaway really and whether you'll put it out in bowls etc or just in foil containers!

What are their dietary requirements?

Please
or

GameOfMoan · 28/04/2019 13:01

I’d love that!

Please
or

ZoeWashburne · 28/04/2019 13:02

As long as you are hosting everyone properly, with appropriate food and drink for the time of day, who cares if it’s a take away. That sounds fun! Especially with 15 people. The only issue is if you are ordering from many different places things might arrive at different times. Might be easier to do a buffet platter from m&s, tesco etc.

Weddings don’t have to be expensive or fancy- just hosted properly! Your plan sounds grand

Please
or

Echobelly · 28/04/2019 13:02

I think that's fine for a small, close group. Agree maybe make sure it can be served on something nice.

Please
or

Jaxhog · 28/04/2019 13:03

Unusual, but perfectly fine. I presume you will be paying for it?

Please
or

DorisandDeidre · 28/04/2019 13:06

We'd be paying for it yes. Was considering maybe picking it up so it'd arrive (hopefully at a similar time)

OP's posts:
Please
or

NoSauce · 28/04/2019 13:10

Bit different OP. I wouldn’t mind it really although I do love a wedding buffet Grin

Please
or

PlasmaRain · 28/04/2019 13:11

Sounds perfect to me, everyone gets what they like that way plus less stress and expense for you.

Please
or

AnnieMay100 · 28/04/2019 13:12

I think it’s fine less formal If your guests are close friends and family who wouldn’t mind. My sister hired a hall and had an Indian take away meal delivered there for everyone, cheaper and more personal. I’d love it, never been a fan of the posh sit down meals that I had for my own wedding and didn’t really enjoy.

Please
or

HollowTalk · 28/04/2019 13:14

Get the table set out before you go to the church, get some desserts in the fridge, kitchen all set up with dishes ready to warm.

Please
or

byteme1011 · 28/04/2019 13:14

I think it's a great idea, I've been to a wedding reception where we had a posh pizza takeaway

Please
or

DorisandDeidre · 28/04/2019 13:14

Thanks all I suppose the other option would be to order takeaway to the church hall. That feels a tiny bit more formal though 🤷‍♀️

OP's posts:
Please
or

PotsOfJoy · 28/04/2019 13:17

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I reckon it would be much more relaxed, so long as you can rely on your guests doing all the cleaning/tidying up after!

Please
or

BeanBag7 · 28/04/2019 13:17

Unless you have a huge house, I would get the takeaway delivered to the church hall. Otherwise people will have to sit on the floor or be squashed up on the sofa and that's a bit TOO informal for me!
I would say get people to decide on their order in advance so you can pre-order the takeaway to make sure everyone gets what they want and they are able to accommodate your large order/no delays etc.

Please
or

CheshireChat · 28/04/2019 13:19

Definitely at your house. I'd be perfectly happy with this, just make sure it's a decent takeaway.

Please
or

BillyGoatGruff007 · 28/04/2019 13:20

Takeaway at home sounds perfect op; you'll remember every moment of the day as you'll be relaxed, among good friends, and won't be flitting around from guest to guest all day/evening.
This would be my idea of a perfect wedding day.

Please
or

HundredMilesAnHour · 28/04/2019 13:20

I think a takeaway delivered to the church hall sounds fun! (as long as it's ordered in advance so people aren't hanging around hungry). Doing it at home sounds like it would be too cramped though?

Much better idea than the cold buffet (yawn!) someone was posting about the other day.

Please
or

HollowTalk · 28/04/2019 13:21

Is there space for 15 people to sit at the table at home?

Please
or

RozyRoz · 28/04/2019 13:22

As a guest I'd be perfectly happy with that and thank you for thinking of my dietary needs.

Will everyone eat from the same place though? Otherwise you'll have everyone's food arriving at different times even if you request the same time.

Make sure you serve it on proper plates and are clear on whether each person has just their own or is expected to share.

Also, it might be nice to let guests know so they can have a think about what they want to order.

I'd also expect you to pay unless told otherwise.

Please
or

BlueJava · 28/04/2019 13:24

As long as you have space for 15 and have everything ready beforehand why not?! Sounds good to me. Personally I'd make what you've planned is clear - please might be a bit miffed if they have a new dress and all that and then go back for a takeaway. But I'd think it was perfect. You could talk to the take away first and let them know - you might evenget something special!

Please
or

Rafflesway · 28/04/2019 13:24

As a fussy eater myself, OP, it sounds fab to me!

So refreshing to have a lovely, homely, warm wedding with no "Bridezilla" antics to contend with. 😂

Congratulations! Have a fantastic day! Flowers

Please
or

SweetMarmalade · 28/04/2019 13:24

What kind of takeaway were you thinking of?

Don’t you have a local restaurant that can accommodate you all instead?

Please
or

SweetMarmalade · 28/04/2019 13:26

Tbh, the thought of having all of the guests back at mine after a wedding, would make me hugely stressed.

Please
or

RosaWaiting · 28/04/2019 13:26

aw, that sounds nice and informal - best way!

enjoy.

Please
or

rosevioletlily · 28/04/2019 13:26

Sounds great to me.
Every wedding I’ve been to, I’ve had a takeaway at home afterwards because I hate the food they serve at weddings.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.