Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

DH and his Brexit cupboard

Anymom · 25/01/2019 22:45

Dh has converted two of our kitchen units into his Brexit cupboard! He has filled them up with all sorts of tinned delacacies including different beans, chilli and dogs (hot!)
He's also stockpiled toilet rolls, medicines, cleaning products etc. It's all stashed away in his new Brexit cupboard, that we have been warned not to touch! I darent tell him that the dc have already been in there hunting for chocolate. They were disappointed to find numerous bags of rice and pasta but alas no chocolate. Seems he has got his priorities mixed up! 😁
AIBU to think this is unnecessary and over the top? I need help to convince him as he talking about stockpiling and filling up the freezer and I'm dreading what concoctions I will find in there! All joking aside, it is just Dh panicking isn't it? We don't really need to be stockpiling food in one of the richest countries of the world, do we?

OP's posts:
Please
or

OnlyaMan · 26/01/2019 03:50

Most posters are not doing enough! They should be digging "Brexit Shelters" in their back gardens, and cowering in them, until they realise the rest of the country is going on as normal. Then they can sheepishly emerge, and sadly munch through their unappetising stored food.

Please
or

LellyMcKelly · 26/01/2019 04:33

I’ve started stockpiling essentials. Just stuff I’d use anyway. If we end up with a hard Brexit we’ll have stuff to keep us going for a month or so. If everything turns out ok then we’ll not need to buy some things for a while.

Please
or

borntobequiet · 26/01/2019 05:17

Very sensible under the circumstances.

Please
or

why100000 · 26/01/2019 05:32

We don't really need to be stockpiling food in one of the richest countries of the world, do we?

We might be one of the richest countries in the world, yet food bank usage is through the roof, homelessness is massively on the rise, and we have a shower of shite of a mean, selfish and incompetent government.

All bets are off.

Please
or

Crappygilmore · 26/01/2019 06:00

Oh ffs. This shit happened with y2k 19 years ago. Nothing happened. Stockpile all you want people. Brexit wont happen. And if it does all the dried pasta and rice in the world wont help us. It'll be rations and queuing like the ussr for us.

Please
or

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse · 26/01/2019 06:06

Oh ffs. This shit happened with y2k 19 years ago. Nothing happened

How insightful Shock Nobody has made that comparison before. Ever. Especially on this thread Grin

Please
or

DramaticGoose · 26/01/2019 06:06

I wish I could afford a brexit cupboard but we live pay check to pay check at the moment. I'm most worried about not being able to get ds's free from foods (he's allergic to a LOT).

If my dad was still alive, he'd have made me a brexit cupboard. He'd do one for my sister too and one at home for him and mum.

Please
or

borntobequiet · 26/01/2019 06:28

Anyone who posts about Y2K on threads like these has clearly never heard of Brexit Bingo.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/3447814-Brexit-Bingo

Please
or

PostNotInHaste · 26/01/2019 06:42

DH has diabetes and though we haven't talked about it, you can't really because of shelf life.
So I hope they have stocks at the hospital.

My friend is senior in a Diabetes department. For ages she wasn’t worried but changed her tune last time I saw her and is advising her patients to have extra supply at home, she has two T1 family members. Said not to worry about blood testing strips as manufactured in UK but to have extra insulin. DH has been putting in prescriptions a little bit early for a bit now and has accumulated a stash in the fridge that should get him through in case of any disruption.

Please
or

Booksandpens · 26/01/2019 07:01

I've just rearranged the kitchen to clear up some cupboard space. I don't know how necessary it is, but I don't want to not be prepared, just in case, especially as we have DCs. I think I'd be less worried if it was just adults in the house.

So far I've transferred the couple of unopened packets we already have into the cupboard, but we need to actually make a list of what to get.

DH is not quite on board yet, but I think he's happy for me to go ahead.

Please
or

BusySnipingOnCallOfDuty · 26/01/2019 07:04

Id be doing it too, if we had anywhere to put it all.

Please
or

TheElementsSong · 26/01/2019 07:11

How's Brexit Bingo going, everyone? Grin

Please
or

Patroclus · 26/01/2019 07:28

I've already started to get weird different medicine. Everybody reckons its weakers as well, although we're probably bottom of the pile for these things (methadone)

Please
or

DryHeave · 26/01/2019 07:42

I’m interested in how people define stockpiling. Someone upthread says they have two cans of tinned tomatoes. We probably have 20 justas our base level, as a batch cook spaghetti can take 6 easily. (And yes, stock rotation is key!)

Please
or

artisanscotcheggs · 26/01/2019 07:52

I have pasta, rice, beans, and pulses built up in some large boxes.

If you have money, then you'll be fine I'm sure. Some of us are on really low incomes, which is why I have built up dry food stocks.

Please
or

MotherOfDragons90 · 26/01/2019 07:54

We haven’t the space to dedicate an entire cupboard to Brexit, but I’m planning a Brexit shelf.

My list so far is chopped tomato’s, pasta, rice, various beans, olive oil, tinned fruit...

Please
or

Patroclus · 26/01/2019 07:56

I shall also be going to loot brexiters houses.

Please
or

falcon5 · 26/01/2019 08:11

Tell him not to buy stuff you don't eat. If you buy stuff you eat you can use it before expiry and add new to the back of the cupboard. Consider it a "I don't immediatrly need to go to the shop when everyone is fighting over the last turkey" cupboard ... for any occasion (snow, fuel shortage, flu, zombies and indeed brexit supply chain fisruption). Bellini always says 3 days to start which is great start.

Please
or

PoutySprout · 26/01/2019 08:16

Tell him not to buy stuff you don't eat.

Have been with DH for 18 years. I have never, ever seen him eat pilchards. All of a sudden it’s all he wants to get. Confused

Please
or

LizzieSiddal · 26/01/2019 08:16

I always have a “bad weather shelf” as we get snowed in (and we only live an hour and half from London), but I’ve now extended this to a Brexit cupboard. We’ve enough food for a month and I hope we don’t ever need it- it will go to the local food bank.
Dh thought I was bonkers at first but has since joined in and has added things I didn’t think about- tonic for the gin for instance!, How the heck did I forget that!Shock

Please
or

Dongdingdong · 26/01/2019 08:16

Oh my god I can do without food but if I have to drink British wine

You’re about 20 years out of date. There are some excellent British wines (and sparkling wines) around nowadays.

Please
or

ForalltheSaints · 26/01/2019 08:18

It seems panicking to me. Medicine if one of you has a particular condition perhaps, but nothing else.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 26/01/2019 08:19

Yeah we are stockpiling too.
It is cheaper to buy something in bulk. And it will all get eventually eaten or donated.
No-brainer given the government's complete dogs dinner of a Brexit.

Please
or

fabulous01 · 26/01/2019 08:19

I am starting one. But calpol and kids medicines are definitely being bought. And booze!

Please
or

Floralhousecoat · 26/01/2019 08:20

Could someone please post a basic starter brexit stockpile list? For total beginners like me?

Thanks in advance

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.