My feed

to access all these features


To find the new tax free childcare almost impossible to navigate

2 replies

NetflixandWill · 05/11/2018 14:15


I moved jobs recently and have therefore lost my childcare voucher scheme.

My husband still gets childcare vouchers from his employer.

The govt website for tax free childcare is almost impossible to navigate and the guy I spoke to in the helpline was....argh.

My question is:
Am I able to claim tax free childcare as well as my husband claiming his childcare vouchers? Or is it one or the other?

To be as clear as poss:
-We have two primary school aged kids aged under 8
-We are both in paid employment and earn enough to be eligible but neither one earns more than £100k
-Under the old system I got £243 childcare vouchers per month and my husband got £124 per month.
-Under the old system we were definitely better off using childcare vouchers than tax-free childcare

Does anyone know the answer or have experience of this?

Thank you!

OP posts:
JagerPlease · 05/11/2018 14:46

Your DH would have to stop claiming vouchers for you to start getting TFC. One of the main differences is that vouchers are per parent, TFC is per child. You are allowed to claim up to £2,000 per child, per year (so would need to deposit £10,000 to get that) broken down into quarterly limits. When you set it up online it will ask for DHs details and ask you to confirm if either are claiming vouchers, if you say you are it will ask for proof within 3 months that you've stopped

NetflixandWill · 05/11/2018 15:30

That's so much clearer - thanks!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.