My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To call the out of hours with suspected endometriosis pain?

108 replies

Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 19:53

I am unsure if I need medical input or can wait. I had endometriosis removed from my bowel at the end of last year and a coil fitted. For the last few months I have had sciatica and pain in the left hand side of my stomach. Gp thinks this is ibs but I am not convinced

I am bleeding today and have worked from home because I wanted to be able to access a hot water bottle. I have taken the antispasmodics the gp suggested but an still in a lot of pain. I do not know if I should call the ooh as felt ferry verry faint when I went to the toilet or if I should manage at home and look for a routine gp appointment.

OP posts:
kaytee87 · 16/10/2018 19:55

Have you taken painkillers as well as the antispasmodics ?

Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 20:04

I have taken paracetanol but have not got anything else I can take. Gp says not to use antiinflamitories which I would usually use with this pain and the only codeine I have is cocodamol

OP posts:
kaytee87 · 16/10/2018 20:07

What time did you take the paracetamol?

Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 20:10

At 7. Mebeverine at 6:30

OP posts:
ThistleAmore · 16/10/2018 20:11

You're advised not to take anti-inflammatories with endo pain, as it can cause bleeding or exacerbate existing.

Codeine is best - the NHS has a good 'timechecker' that you can Google with regard to drug interaction times.

PlateOfBiscuits · 16/10/2018 20:12

Oh bless you, that sounds terrible. I’ve used out of hours to get oramorph for endometriosis pain before.

Do you have anyone with you?

Why did the GP say no anti inflammatories?

ElfridaEtAl · 16/10/2018 20:12

I think you should go to the OOH.

I am being investigated for Endo and it is an absolute bastard.

If you need help, you need help, please see a doctor if you're in pain, don't suffer it just because some might say it's not an emergency.

ThistleAmore · 16/10/2018 20:13

And yeah, you can call 111, but unless you are bleeding heavily or have a very high temp, they'll basically tell you the same thing: take painkillers, rest, drink water, and if no abatement in 10-12 hours, phone your GP.

Have been there.

kaytee87 · 16/10/2018 20:15

I'd take the cocodomol at 11pm. What strength are they?

kaytee87 · 16/10/2018 20:18

Would a warm bath help in the meantime or a shower held against your stomach?

Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 20:18

Thanks I am not sure why the gp said not to take antiinflamitories. It was not for the endo as he and the gynae ward at the hospital I was admitted to with pain in September both said a clear scan ruled out endo. The gp thinks it's ibs and antiinflamitories will irritate the stomach. He suggested herbal tea. The

OP posts:
Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 20:21

A warm bath with epson salts in would help a lot. But I feel really dizzy and am in on my own so worry about fainting in the bathroom. Currently lying down with a heat pad pad

OP posts:
Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 20:23

The cocodamol are 30:500 but do not seen to do all that much.

OP posts:
PlugUgly1980 · 16/10/2018 20:27

Ring 111, and explain, you're feeling faint. That in itself would concern me, just as much as the pain. I've been prescribed morphine by the out of hours Dr for pain relief before, but I'd suggest you need someone with you if possible, a in case you do faint and b because stronger painkillers could make you even whoozier.

kaytee87 · 16/10/2018 20:27

If you feel dizzy, try to raise your legs while you're lying down. It does help.

I find that codeine and especially paracetamol need to build up a bit to be fully affective. Take the cocodomol at 11pm then some straight away in the morning (keeping an eye on your dosage obviously).

kaytee87 · 16/10/2018 20:28

Could you call a friend to come round?

Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 20:29

Whenever ooh has been involved I have generally been admitted for possible appendicitis and pain management. I do not want to he in hospital but worry that I will assume normal and something else will be going on

OP posts:
kaytee87 · 16/10/2018 20:29

By raise your legs I mean put your feet on a pile of cushions and take the pillows out from under your head so your feet are higher than your head

Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 20:32

Thanks I think the faint feeling is due to pain rather than anything else. I did faint on the toilet in hospital with the pain previously but they did not seem worried.

OP posts:
Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 20:34

Friends all have little ones in bed

OP posts:
Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 20:35

I feel much less faint lying down its more the pain when I move to go to the toilet

OP posts:
TheDarkPassenger · 16/10/2018 20:37

Have you had a coil before? I had mine 3 months and passed out 2/3 times a week every week until I removed it myself. I got sharp pains in my stomach and haemorrhaged and got rushed to hospital. Of course the doctors say it was nothing to do with the coil and have further investigated and found nothing (I have PCOS but that’s under control)
Not saying it is the coil, but don’t rule it out. After I self removed I didn’t pass out, get that sharp pain, or try to bleed to death again

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Jellyjumpers · 16/10/2018 20:42

It is my first time with a coil it was fitted to try to prevent endo regrowth.

I did faint with pain before the coil was fitted

OP posts:
99RedBalloonsFloating · 16/10/2018 20:42

By "bleeding" I assume you mean menstrual bleeding? Has this happened often since you had since you had the coil fitted?

Was the scan to check if the coil has moved?

PlateOfBiscuits · 16/10/2018 20:44

Try alternating between hot and cold compresses (eg a hot water bottle then an ice pack). A TENs machine might help but you’d have to go out and get one.

You say a scan ruled out endo - a scan can’t do that with any degree of certainty.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.