Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

The Daily Mail...

33 replies

sassysadness · 15/10/2018 20:54

AIBU to think that the Daily Mail is nothing but an arse wipe rag!

I read it occasionally to see what the latest s@1£ stirring twaddle it peddles and what type of comments are made on the articles. It truly disgusts me that the haters come out in full force when certain people are written about. The comments about Prince Harry’s wife really can be upsetting to read.

OP posts:
KC225 · 15/10/2018 20:58

If you hate it so much don't read it.

I hate sprouts, I don't lick one every Christmas to remind myself they taste evil.

Bombardier25966 · 15/10/2018 20:58

You're not being unreasonable.

You are being unreasonable in referring to "Prince Harry's wife". Why would you not use her name?

MacosieAsunter · 15/10/2018 21:00

LOL @ ""arsewipe rag"" …. read by arse wipes, if only occasionally !

bubbles092 · 15/10/2018 21:01

All I ever see on there is Meghan Markle. Driving me INSANE!

derxa · 15/10/2018 21:01

I read it every day and the Guardian website. Both equally hilarious.

Justanotherlurker · 15/10/2018 21:06

You're a bit too late for this kind of preach to the converted, it's a few years old by now, plus the fact you read it makes it all the more amusing but not in the way you probably intended.

SevernWye · 15/10/2018 21:07

Why do you ‘occasionally read’ the arse wipe rag?

There is no other paper more often quoted on here but no one reads it.

ItsJustTheOneSwanActually · 15/10/2018 21:13

I just look at the pictures Grin

CantWaitToRetire · 15/10/2018 21:16

Their "journalists" will be scouring these threads as we speak, looking for articles to put in their online paper this week. The articles in that paper can be bad enough (and very badly written) but I've had to stop reading the comments section because so many haters. I agree with a PP that Meghan Markle is a big focus for vile comments. So nasty.

Storm4star · 15/10/2018 21:18

I look on their website just to see which MN post they’ve stolen that day Grin

sassysadness · 15/10/2018 21:22

I am doing an OU Degree and media articles form part of the current module. I generally try not to read tabloids but theme analysis is necessary.

Prince Harry’s wife...the lovely duchess called Meghan. 🤓

Some articles are interesting (diet ones I seem to be drawn to as I am always falling off the wagon) but I am honestly amazed at what it puts in writing (and all the typos and am not usually bothered by them!) as I don’t read it normally.

Live and learn I guess.

OP posts:
Gingerrogered · 15/10/2018 21:22

Hmm. It’s occasionally useful for some things. It will take up causes that are not trendy or ‘woke’ enough for other parts of the press and has, for example, been quite vocal on trans issues. They have also done some quite good work on justice issues and initially exposed the Stephen Lawrence killers and kept up the pressure to get them prosecuted. They’ve done some decent work with victims of abuse who subsequently murdered their abusers and getting justice for them.

They have a place. I get the impression these days that a lot of people are in favour of a heavily censored press which only gives an approved perspective on current events. And the Mail does do that, it very much provides an alternative perspective to the dominant one. And no matter how much you dislike what they say that is really an important balance for any society to have, even if it’s just so people can see what they don’t want.

sassysadness · 15/10/2018 21:26

That is interesting about the campaigns.

Have made a note as I might be able to use that at some point! 😊

OP posts:
Poloshot · 15/10/2018 21:27

Don't read it then

Gingerrogered · 15/10/2018 21:37

They have an interesting one running at the moment, Julie Bindel is writing on it. It’s about a woman who was raped and psychologically abused for years then killed her abuser.

She was convicted of murder but given recent development on the legislation around coercive control and better understanding of how it affects victims, her sons are campaigning to get her sentence reduced.

It’s an interesting read: www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6270961/amp/Son-reveals-decades-psychological-abuse-suffered-mother-battered-husband-death.html

TwistedStitch · 15/10/2018 21:39

They report on an awful lot of cases of violence against women that other outlets don't bother with. I think it's trendy to hate on the DM but I think it's better than the Guardian these days. At least they aren't afraid to go against the approved narrative.

bakingdemon · 15/10/2018 21:45

You do know they're a few weeks into the tenure of a new editor who is likely to be quite different to the previous one?

KC225 · 15/10/2018 21:47

Gingerrogered I remember when the Daily Mail published the photographs of the suspected Stephen Lawrence killers and the headline goaded the suspects to sue them. It was shocking at the time. I remember reading on the bus - on top of an old Route Master and discussing it with a passenger next to me.

TwistedStitch · 15/10/2018 21:50

I remember that too, here it is. I can't imagine a paper doing that nowadays.

The Daily Mail...
ForalltheSaints · 15/10/2018 21:52

Please do not refer to the Paper that Supported the Blackshirts as suitable for wiping your bottom. Have some respect for your bottom.

sassysadness · 15/10/2018 21:53

Thanks for the link. Reading it now...

OP posts:
InspectorIkmen · 15/10/2018 21:56

bakingdemon Mon 15-Oct-18 21:45:42

You do know they're a few weeks into the tenure of a new editor who is likely to be quite different to the previous one

It would be hard to be worse. I look forward to the day when I can once again at least look at it occasionally without being bombarded with racism, fascism, rampant xenophobia, rabid brexiteerism, poking fun at anyone who's put on a bit of weight, championing Z list slebs and stirring up the hard of thinking into hating pretty much everyone.

Nah. Can't see it myself.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Cattenberg · 15/10/2018 22:06

I think it's worse than that, OP. How low can they go? Lower than almost any other publication, because there's profit in it. Sexism, racism and xenophobia are routine. Although, I think the videos of people being beaten up and animals being tortured might be a new addition. I have never viewed any of these, but the details on the homepage are enough to haunt me.

sassysadness · 15/10/2018 22:10

Inspectorlkmen

Yes those are definite themes I have been making notes about. I am not surprised that Prince Harry felt compelled to address the UK media about the bullying of MM.

Words can hurt. I hope that Duchess Meghan pays no mind to the haters. I wish her well and a happy family life.

OP posts:
sassysadness · 15/10/2018 22:13

Cattle berg

I have no words. Are they trying to raise awareness by posting certain things such as animal abuse do you think?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.