My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To find it strange no one is talking about this?

201 replies

FruminousBandersnatch · 12/10/2018 19:57

The latest IPCC report - a result of looking at 6000 climate change studies. It’s horrifying. The world as we know it is going to change so quickly and not enough is being done.

Why is this not being discussed here?

OP posts:
marvellousnightforamooncup · 12/10/2018 20:01

I agree. It's too big to comprehend and too awful but we all have to act.

WhoAteAllthePercyPigs · 12/10/2018 20:12

Yep. This. I was reading about it today. It's not a case of if but when things are going to get horrendously awful and it will happen in our lifetime. I don't even know where to start. I have a grim feeling it's going to be a case of too little, too late.

FruminousBandersnatch · 12/10/2018 20:41

The only thing that gives me hope is that governments asked for this report. Maybe they will act.

Really worried about my -and everyone else’s- children. Their future looks so uncertain.

OP posts:
HollowTalk · 12/10/2018 20:46

It's terrifying and our leaders at the moment are so awful that I just can't see anyone doing anything about it.

Dottysmum18 · 12/10/2018 21:02

Bump this is so terrible and I can't comprehend it but everyone too selfish and entitled to do what needs to be done to save the planet
When the world wars took place there was rationing and people accepted it. We need to reduce beef and dairy consumption , we need to drive less and use less energy and stop using fossil fuels immediately, but people won't accept that because of their 'rights'.
And the biggest problem is over population we need to impose a one child rule like China all over the world if their is any hope of the planet being habitable in 50 years time and it's going to be our fault

Dontfeellikeamillenial · 12/10/2018 21:05

Is there a link?

FruminousBandersnatch · 12/10/2018 21:47

Screeds of links if you google. Sorry I'm on my crappy phone.

OP posts:
Gyoza · 13/10/2018 08:19

I worry about the fact no one is talking about it, instead it just seems that everything is focussed on brexit and other issues and in 50 years time our children will be asking why Did we not do more about this?

I’m trying to find the metaphor for it, something along the lines of arguing over the bar tab on the Titanic...

I’m trying to make changes in the way we live to reduce our carbon footprint but I know I’m not doing enough. I also worry that there is a huge section of society that has no interest in the issue or relies on the government to do something about it, which this report suggests isn’t enough.

LostInShoebiz · 13/10/2018 08:26

There have been several threads in AIBU and Chat over the past few days.

spatchcock · 13/10/2018 08:34

I haven't seen any threads on it either - it really worries me how little people seem to know. And depresses me that people will pile onto a thread to earnestly discuss how often they wash their teatowels but not engage in discussion about what is now shaping up to be global catastrophe.

And whenever there is a thread about "we should eat less meat" or whatever, people get really arsey. No one wants to change their lifestyles. We are selfish and entitled.

SeaViewBliss · 13/10/2018 08:47

I am going to start doing some proper reading.

My DD (21) is very passionate about this and has even talked about not having children because she worries so much that that generation will have a terrible future.

As Gyoza says, there are so many people who still won’t take notice, I worry it’s too late.

picklemepopcorn · 13/10/2018 08:54

I'm 'doing my bit', but my family are a bit resistant. Until governments prioritise it individuals are pretty powerless.

There seems to be quite a lot of progress in green tech- packaging materials, reducing plastic etc. But the plastic issue is far more acute in countries like India and S America.

Urbanbeetler · 13/10/2018 08:59

My thoughts (and of course I may be wrong - I hope so ):

Nothing substantial will change until people are quite literally forced. And that won’t happen until the damage done impacts fiercely, and it’s too late for many species of flora and fauna, and there is a decimation of people. But I do think the world will heal - perhaps those left will rebuild more thoughtfully. We are a selfish species.

claraschu · 13/10/2018 09:03

To me, this is obviously the real issue that we face, which dwarfs every other problem. I feel so helpless and hopeless, and I do feel that radical global governmental action is what is needed, along the lines of a universal wartime effort; it breaks my heart and terrifies me that nothing is happening.

grasspigeons · 13/10/2018 09:06

I wonder if its a feeling of helplessness. Its really hard to have an impact as an individual.

FruminousBandersnatch · 13/10/2018 09:11

"I wonder if its a feeling of helplessness. Its really hard to have an impact as an individual."

So true. And when 100 companies are responsible for 71% of emissions... we are pretty powerless. Except as consumers. I can only hope that people will start making an almighty racket when their way of life becomes impacted, as it eventually will.

OP posts:
Helendee · 13/10/2018 09:13

I think we are doomed on Earth as a species. Our best hope is to get off planet and re-colonise ASAP.

Furiosa · 13/10/2018 09:16

This clip from The Newsroom sums it up.
Stonebake · 13/10/2018 09:17

I tend to agree with urban. Nobody will act until they’re forced.

People are talking about climate change on here. The “they have no drinking water...” thread for example.

I have to say though that irl yanbu. I want to shake my dh sometimes and yell “DON’T YOU READ”? But I think he does, he’s just eerily calm about it all. Ditto about Brexit. I assumed it was an English thing as I’m Irish and we tend to be a bit more dramatic! Or maybe it’s just me...

BarbarianMum · 13/10/2018 09:17

Well when why grandchildren ask why we didnt do more I plan to tell them what we did do. Because we do think its important so we do quite a bit - privately and politically.

I recognise the feeling of helplessness but the reality is there is plenty that needs doing at grassroots level, so get involved.

Stonebake · 13/10/2018 09:19

Great post barbarian. Do enough so you can tell your dcs what you actually did.

marvellousnightforamooncup · 13/10/2018 09:22

We can at least do something ourselves by making good little choices. Cut down plastic use, reusable sanpro, solid shampoo or only wash your hair every other day, wash clothes less frequently or on low temps, get an electric car, walk more, watch your food waste, buy fewer but better quality that last clothes, mend stuff, insulate your house, eat less meat. You can feel powerless but small things can be done by all of us. I know some are less affordable but there's always something that can be done.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

NothingOnTellyAgain · 13/10/2018 09:23

I think that it's to big to comprehend, and people feel powerless, as mentioned by others.

Industry that needs to be tackled in a big way. How are things like Niger delta even happening? Why is it allowed etc

There is often focus on individuals but really humans are not special we're just animals and many of us are focussed on here/ now. So coordinated government action with supply chains of (stuff) is needed - hoping individuals will all change their ways is not going to work+ what about industry fgs. And needs to be good faith or companies businesses just find loopholes.

If the world does end we know it'll be the fault of women do at least that is settled!

Stonebake · 13/10/2018 09:24

If the world does end we know it'll be the fault of women do at least that is settled!

Grin

But also true.

ohello · 13/10/2018 09:26

Well gosh. The more people being born, the more resources needed to provide for them. The more resources needed, the more damage to the environment.

The absolute best thing anyone could do is not have so many children, either waiting longer (having children at 20yo is 5 generations in a 100 year period, vs having children at 30yo is 3.1 generations in a 100 year period) or not having any at all.

But nobody wants to talk about that, so carry on.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.