Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

No Cashback!

16 replies

SirGawain · 12/10/2018 17:45

Would I be unreasonable to ask why my local (large) Sainsbury's no longer gives cashback. There are no notices informing customers of this sudden change in policy.

OP posts:
dementedpixie · 12/10/2018 17:48

Do you mean at the main tills or self service ones?

Heuschrecke · 12/10/2018 17:51

Our large Sainsburys stopped doing cashback a while ago also. I was on a main till.

Maybe so few people pay by cash these days that they actually don't have very much cash in the tills? And don't want a huge cash float?

SirGawain · 12/10/2018 17:57

All of the tills, main and self-service.

OP posts:
dementedpixie · 12/10/2018 17:58

My local Tesco doesn't do cashback at self service tills but does at the main tills. Did they say why?

SirGawain · 12/10/2018 18:00

Heuschrecke. Perhaps you are right. I always assumed that it was to reduce cash handling and banking by the back office which must be a significant cost.

OP posts:
Starwednesday · 12/10/2018 18:02

I work in a convenience store, we stopped doing cash back because the way they calculated the fee to us changed meaning if someone bought an item for £1 then asked for cash back we would be making a loss

MissionItsPossible · 12/10/2018 18:04

Have you asked them for cash back and they’ve said no? I’ve noticed recently Tesco have stopped asking if customers want cash back but they do it if customers ask.

SirGawain · 12/10/2018 19:43

MissionItsPossible No I specifically ask for it. I do this at most weekly shops. But have been to TESCO for the last couple of weeks so I am not sure when this stopped. The cashier did not offer an explaination and the queue was long so not wanting to hold things up I let it go.

OP posts:
buscaution · 12/10/2018 19:52

Ours has been like this for weeks.

Betsy86 · 12/10/2018 20:01

Its a trial on a select number of stores.
Not as much cash goes through the tills anymore so there less to use for cashback. people are using apple pay and contactless more which you cant get cashback with.
Fill in a form at the customer service desk and leave it in the suggestion box requesting cashback to be returned to stores.
The more of these requests at the end of the trial the more likely it will be reinstated xx

AnchorDownDeepBreath · 12/10/2018 20:07

Yep; it's simply that there's not as much cash going through the systems and it's a hassle to keep and account for additional funds for that reason.

MissionItsPossible · 14/10/2018 12:16

@SirGawain

Odd then. I rely on my local Tesco as my bank so hope this isn’t an ongoing trend

buscaution · 14/10/2018 12:21

mission do they not have a cash machine? I can't think of any Tesco stores I have been to (metro included) that don't have an ATM.

CheekyRedhead · 14/10/2018 15:43

I didn't think cashback was still a thing to be honest thought it went years ago. We are living in More and more in a cashless society.

sammassammas · 14/10/2018 15:52

A lot of places are installing closed loop cash systems. Cash that is handed over as payment goes straight into an electronic safe at the till that counts it and bags it. Only an absolute minimum amount of notes and coins are kept in the till draw. This system removes the need for a cash office and associated staff. As the cash can be collected by cash in transit companies direct from the till area. Combined with smart till draws that count themselves saves a lot of time and cost. But removes the ability to do cashback.

abbsisspartacus · 14/10/2018 15:55

Do you live in the midlands op? It's all over my local site

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.