Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is it a bit odd to have no curtains or blinds in the living room.. even if

14 replies

HotNatured · 01/08/2017 09:29

you live in a house which backs onto your garden and nothing else, ie, no one can see in?

I live in the countryside in Surrey if that makes any difference.

OP posts:
BarbaraofSeville · 01/08/2017 09:36

No, why would it be? Our living room goes from the front to the back of the house with two windows and we don't close the curtains at the back of the house as it backs onto greenbelt so no-one can see in. We only close the curtains in winter to keep the heat in.

However, at the front, we have voiles and curtains that are closed at night because neither of us like people being able to see in from the street and think the odd ones are those without nets who have their curtains open at night so you can see clearly into their house.

Dawnedlightly · 01/08/2017 09:38

We don't. And our sitting room is at the front of the house. It's lovely and bright. Only problem is occasionally it's too bright for daytime tv watching, but is not want to close them in the day anyway.

Fortmentera · 01/08/2017 09:39

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sleepthief · 01/08/2017 09:39

We lived for years without any window coverings in the living room until we got round to installing shutters - and our living room faces onto the street. In London. As an aside, I had no idea how much space curtains take up until I took ours down 🤔

MrTrebus · 01/08/2017 09:44

What if you want to engage in living room antics?? Grin

I couldn't not have a blind and/or curtains in every room. I'm sure people arent looking but what if?! I also think its good for security during the day when you're out. Grew up with a police officer as a dad so really aware about that sort of thing!

ginghamstarfish · 01/08/2017 11:27

You can do whatever you like, but I could not bear it at night, would imagine someone looking in. We live in a similar situation and are not overlooked at all but have venetian blinds which work well both for nighttime and for security when we're out. I made fake roman blinds which are stapled on a batten, and these cover the top of the blinds. SO you can pull up the blinds which then hide behind the fake roman blind, and have your windows completely clear when you want to.

HotNatured · 01/08/2017 11:38

Thanks, everyone

Fortmentera I agree

Just feels a bit, I don't know, 'unfinished' and not v cosy !

OP posts:
lmer · 01/08/2017 11:42

I find it odd- but because shutting curtains can help when it comes to heating the house

dudsville · 01/08/2017 11:42

We moved into a house that had both blinds and curtains on a sliding glass door overlooking the private garden. I took down the curtains but the blinds are handy when the bright sun heats up. I don't even notice it when it's dark out.

MargotLovedTom1 · 01/08/2017 11:43

It would creep me out: imagining all sorts of horror film scenarios with a noise coming out of the darkness, a flash of movement seen out of the corner of your eye ....then a face appearing at the window Shock. Aaargh!! No thanks Wink.

Laiste · 01/08/2017 11:45

Depends on the room style i guess.

Lots of decor now is intentionally not 'cosy' looking. In this house and my last i have had no nets, just big curtains - but we never draw them.

It's a v.quiet culdesac here and no one walks past so privicy is no issue. Plus there's so many cars on our drive in the evening you can't see into the house. In the last house the front garden was long and the windows were small (cottage) so again no real need to block out lookers.

Laiste · 01/08/2017 11:47

Ah, now hot sun and strong light on the TV screen is a PITA at the back of the house here so we DO have blinds up at the patio doors which we use a lot.

KoalaDownUnder · 01/08/2017 11:50

I haven't.

I've got two massive French window thingys that open onto the back and side gardens. No curtains or blinds to speak of. I love it, makes the place feel really open!

peachlimeorange · 01/08/2017 12:26

We don't have any curtains or blinds anywhere!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.