or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU - BBC salaries

109 replies

Turvey94 · 19/07/2017 21:36

www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/bbc-salaries-full-list-wages-10827889

There is such anger at these salaries. I'm a bit conflicted tbh. Confused

I just don't think these salaries have any value when there's no benchmark? I have no idea what similar presenters get paid on competitor channels (I assume it's less). How can I judge?! Hmm

I do think the BBC provides real quality. Some of these journalists are really talented. I also love the dramas and documentaries the BBC produces... Blush

OP posts:
The80sweregreat · 20/07/2017 11:10

andrew neil deserves his salary, only because he can make politicians squirm.
I wished i;d gone into show biz though, seeing what you can make if your any good ( or not even that good, according to some!)

Lostwithinthehills · 20/07/2017 11:11

bridgetreilly
Oh, also Matt Baker doesn't just do the One Show - Countryfile must pay a fair bit, and he also commentates on gymnastics. What else does Alex Jones do?

Bridgetreilly among other work Alex Jones presents Shop Well for Less, she also fronted a documentary last year.

Creampastry · 20/07/2017 11:30

Never Watch the BBC channels and really resent paying for a license, especially to pay for these overpaid idiots, on the whole. Plus the disparity of male versus female salaries is disgusting in this day and age.

mothertruck3r · 20/07/2017 11:33

I don't care if it is "Tory/Murdoch shit stirring". These people are still being paid huge amounts of public money when the poor are being threatened with a criminal conviction if they don't want to subsidise them. That should be a left-wing issue but isn't for some reason.

Why should it be ignored just because it doesn't fit a specific political agenda which would be up in arms if it was a right-wing institution receiving public money!?

mothertruck3r · 20/07/2017 11:36

FFS, nobody is forced to buy the fucking Daily Mail or pay Paul Dacre's salary! You won't get harrassed by Crapita for not buying the Daily Mail!

cathf · 20/07/2017 11:45

I saw this yesterday and I KNEW it would turn into a male/female inequality argument.
To the person upthread asking why Laura Kuenessburg was not paid the same as John Humphries - John Humphries hosts Mastermind as well as the Today programme and also pops up on quite a few other programmes from time to time. He also has about 30 years more expereince than LK.
Are there any comparisions of men and woman with exactly the same experience doing exactly the same job? If there are, and the man is paid more, that is clearly discrimination. If not, comparisons cannot be made.
I do agree about Charlie from Casualty though!

JassyRadlett · 20/07/2017 11:50

Umm.... I think the reason Graham Norton gets more is not his R2 salary, but his BBC1 salary for, you know, the Graham Norton show and Eurovision and so on.

No - the talk show is through a production company and not reflected in these figures.

DreichAgain · 20/07/2017 11:56

Laura Kuensberg has become well known through the major role at the bbc.

She causes a stir and I think she'll have a long career and be even better better paid as she goes along. Or else she needs a new agent!

bunningsbunny · 20/07/2017 12:05

I wish that they also included the number of hours of tv/radio the salary was for. And maybe overall time (would be interesting to see if say Chris Evans prepped 30 mins for every hour broadcast whereas forJeremy Vine it was 1 hour or 2 hours etc - would make it all much easier to see how much the BBC really thinks people are worth.

Tomorrowillbeachicken · 20/07/2017 12:07

I wouldn't care less if it was a commercial station but in order to watch virgin I have to pay for the crap they put on bbc.

BadTasteFlump · 20/07/2017 12:09

It's so obviously a diversionary tactic by the Tories

Well yes because everything leads back to them doesn't it Hmm

They only part of it that bothers me is the disparity between the sexes, but it's no surprise sadly.

JoshLymanJr · 20/07/2017 12:27

Well yes because everything leads back to them doesn't it hmm

Well, yes, this does - it was a Tory government who made the demand of the BBC in the first place.

TinklyLittleLaugh · 20/07/2017 14:17

I wasn't horrified by the size of any of the salaries to be honest. Plenty of people in my industry earn six figures, without the hassle of being a public figure and a lot more job security.

The80sweregreat · 20/07/2017 14:27

Its not just the 'celebs' that get paid a good wage, i bet all those names that pop up at the end of any programme or drama all earn good money too - cameramen/ woman receive a very good salary, but probably have to do unsocial hours if its a live show or something.
Editors, writers, producers, they all must be earning loads.
Its the ones that are in the public eye that will get all the back lash from this of course.

rockshandy · 20/07/2017 14:34

And I think the licence fee is remarkably low for what you get.

It isn't really about value for money though is it? Its about choice.

I choose not to pay for Sky TV because I don't find it value for money. Nancy down the road who does pay for Sky TV might think that it is good value for money for her and her family.

The fact that we have a choice whether to subscribe or not is key. With the BBC there is no choice. If you have a means of watching TV or listening to radio you have to pay or else you will be prosecuted.

It is really quite unbelievable that this is still happening.

The80sweregreat · 20/07/2017 14:38

Could Sky/ virgin/ BT etc start selling their own TV's - or boxes which blank out BBC channels ? i dont know if this would be the way forwards - i have a free view box myself, but i dont mind paying the licence fee, so i would keep that for BBC programmes.
Must be a way they could do this?

OrangeFluff · 20/07/2017 18:39

rockshandy That is not true. Radio is nothing to do with the TV licence.

I have a TV but no licence as we use it for the Xbox. This is perfectly legal.

All catchup (apart from iplayer recently) is also perfectly legal to watch. Just don't watch it live.

I have Netflix which has quite a bit of BBC content on there anyway.

Turvey94 · 20/07/2017 20:47

To be fair BadTasteFlump the review was ordered by the tories. They obviously had an agenda!

OP posts:
cluelessnewmum · 20/07/2017 23:04

And I think the licence fee is remarkably low for what you get.

It isn't really about value for money though is it? Its about choice.

Totally agree rockshandy - I wouldn't choose to pay for BBC as I hardly ever watch it, dh watches match of the day sometimes, but nothing else regularly. That's why I can't comment on the gender page gap as I don't know who most of these presenters are.

The only reason why BBC looks vaguely good value is because of all the people like me who are forced to pay for a service they rarely use. If it were a choice people would have to pay a heck of a lot more or the BBC would have to cut alot of its less popular programmes to make it affordable.

I believe that the BBC has a lot to offer but should have to work under the same market forces as every other media owner - ie make programmes that people want to watch not thinly veiled political propaganda or shows for very small audiences.

By the way, the Tories don't have some ridiculous conspiracy with Murdoch. They just believe in a free market economy and small government, ie the opposite of what the BBC represents.

OwlinaTree · 20/07/2017 23:18

I think the BBC is good for the money. I listen to the radio every day. I watch BBC programmes and use iplayer. I hate radio ads so it's a big bonus there.

The80sweregreat · 21/07/2017 07:04

Clueless, the Tories want a small government? Still seems huge to me and I think they are also pressing ahead with renovations for the palace of Westminster and keeping the house of lords etc etc. They take all the pay rises that are offered too - that is tax payers' money. They seem keen on a free market economy but not when it comes to their own pay and pensions - all politicians of all parties are hypocrites in that respect!
Maybe the BBC could do with a shake up in some departments - but it will be a sad day when its no longer around and all the channels are awash with adverts for Murdoch's products and services and the radio too.

Nettletheelf · 21/07/2017 08:08

I'm a big supporter of the BBC. As others have noted, it's streets ahead of any other broadcaster.

But...

Half a million quid a year for Steve fecking Wright? Mega bucks for Simon Mayo (or, as Viz nicknamed him, Simon Salad Cream)? Nick frigging Knowles?

Chris Evans, like him or not, does present the most popular breakfast show, but the others seem hopelessly outdated.

I'm pretty disappointed that Clare Balding is paid less than male sports presenters who aren't as good (and that she's paid less than that car crash Gabby Logan...I was amazed at that), but what I really do not want to see is an immediate increase in payments to nonentities like Claudia Winkleman, Zoe Ball and Tess Daly in order to bring them up to parity. Who decided that these people should get so much of our money? Most of them are so keen on gurning on screen that they'd probably do it for the living wage.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Nettletheelf · 21/07/2017 08:10

And, in answer to a question from a PP, these people are not employed by the BBC. They are self-employed (as 'talent', whether that name fits or otherwise!).

The80sweregreat · 21/07/2017 10:58

I do agree that a few could be culled - a few new faces around might be good.
If they are self employed, they must have to submit tax returns - i wonder how long before the government ask for those to be printed off or shown around to check they are all paying the right amounts? ( i will hazard a guess that a few of them have 'off shore accounts' and taken lessons from David Cameron and others maybe!) I predict a few more scandals to emerge.

mychildhasmoremoneythanme · 21/07/2017 15:35

If the salary information is included in the annual report it would have been audited prior to release for accuracy

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.