or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU - BBC salaries

109 replies

Turvey94 · 19/07/2017 21:36

www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/bbc-salaries-full-list-wages-10827889

There is such anger at these salaries. I'm a bit conflicted tbh. Confused

I just don't think these salaries have any value when there's no benchmark? I have no idea what similar presenters get paid on competitor channels (I assume it's less). How can I judge?! Hmm

I do think the BBC provides real quality. Some of these journalists are really talented. I also love the dramas and documentaries the BBC produces... Blush

OP posts:
TinklyLittleLaugh · 20/07/2017 09:45

The BBC are getting Clare Balding for an absolute song. She should definitely have parity with Linekar. I almost think there is a case to answer under the Equal Pay Laws.

Mulledwine1 · 20/07/2017 09:48

I agree OP. I don't like the gender pay gap (just shows how we need this sort of reporting) but the actual levels of salary, I'm a bit meh about. Lots of people earn far more money than they should get.

Many more earn far less than they should get.

But I am a BBC fan and happily pay the licence fee.

Mulledwine1 · 20/07/2017 09:49

Are these people all employed by the BBC or are they contractors?

It may make a difference to whether the Equality Act/equal pay laws apply. I don't know if they apply to freelancers and am assuming (possibly wrongly) that they don't.

DreichAgain · 20/07/2017 09:55

Whiteroseredrose, I agree with your post.

Best example of the vehicle being more important than the presenter was Adrian Chiles on the One Show.

mrsmuddlepies · 20/07/2017 09:57

Not necessarily relevant but one of the problems with the gender pay gap is mothers who go part time after children or who want to stay at a junior level because of family commitments. Totally understandable but it makes me cross when posters claim that men don't want to give up careers. Lots of men would like the opportunity to take parental leave instead of their partners but a report showed that few mothers accepted this and wanted, again understandably to be the one at home. it drives me bonkers how many women on here moan about lack of independence and yet have chosen not to return to work when their children are at school. There should be an expectation of equal working responsibilities for men and women and equal pay. It is the only way to ensure equality in the workplace.

MummaGiles · 20/07/2017 09:59

The information has been provided in a total vaccuum. No detail has been given about hours worked/ unsociable hour rates/ the number of different shows, projects whatever they want to call them those total salary outlays come from. A lot of people on screen/ on the radio at the BBC have a number of different roles but are generally remembered for their main job. Andrew Marr for example has regular broadcasts on tv but he will also earn extra for on screen eulogies, election/referenda coverage etc. The figures on their own mean very little indeed for comparison purposes. And those paid through production companies (GBBO, Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman for example) are excluded so again you're missing more comparables.

Foxyloxy1plus1 · 20/07/2017 10:01

I can't see that presenters are obliged to work very long hours. They have researchers to do the groundwork for them. They have to be competent (or not) at reading an autocue or talking to people. Gary Linaker can't spend hours at his presenting job because he's spending time advertising potato based snacks.

The pay disparity is one thing. The ridiculous amount of money is another. It's not even as if the BBC is providing consistently good quality programmes.

mothertruck3r · 20/07/2017 10:15

I think it is disgraceful. They can pay them these huge salaries because licence fee payers are forced to buy the licence with threat of criminal prosecution if they don't. So, we have a situation where poor people are forced to subsidise these huge salaries just to watch tv.

The thing is the BBC doesn't have to compete in the marketplace like any other company, they are just given money. Of course the likes of Sky etc pay their stars less because their income is based on genuine competition which means they have to provide programmes/adverts that viewers want and which will generate income rather than leaving taxpayers to subsidise them.

The sooner the BBC becomes subscription only and they are forced to pay their "stars" from their genuine profit, the better. It is ridiculous that in this day and age people are forced to subsidise them as they obviously wouldn't be able to generate the kind of sums they get without the luxury of the tv licence.

SpeckleDust · 20/07/2017 10:16

mrsmuddlepies
Not necessarily relevant but one of the problems with the gender pay gap is mothers who go part time after children or who want to stay at a junior level because of family commitments.

I think this is not relevant in many cases. For many parents, the choice of who will take time out of work to care for children will be based on which parent earns the lower salary. Too often this is the mother because the gender pay gap exists prior to having children.

mothertruck3r · 20/07/2017 10:19

The elephant in the room is not that the female "stars" are paid less than their male counterparts but that the BBC is paying these ridiculous salaries in the first place. The male "stars" should be paid much much less, not the female "stars" being paid more. They are all ridiculously overpaid and if they think they can't survive on lower BBC salaries, they can try their hands elsewhere and see if they get anything like the salaries, pensions and perks they currently do, all funded by taxpayers who aren't entitled to this gross indulgence with public money.

bridgetreilly · 20/07/2017 10:25

Umm.... I think the reason Graham Norton gets more is not his R2 salary, but his BBC1 salary for, you know, the Graham Norton show and Eurovision and so on.

Similarly, John Humphreys is also being paid to host Mastermind and Celebrity Mastermind. Sarah Montague is not.

Now, I think there's a question to be asked about why more women aren't being used for such things, but the broad picture given by the list doesn't make it easy to compare.

I'm pretty horrified that Sue Barker gets SO much less than Lineker, though. Is he really worth that much?

bridgetreilly · 20/07/2017 10:27

Oh, also Matt Baker doesn't just do the One Show - Countryfile must pay a fair bit, and he also commentates on gymnastics. What else does Alex Jones do?

hackmum · 20/07/2017 10:28

But when you look at the public sector as a whole, lots of people are arguably overpaid: NHS chief execs, local authority chief execs, academy headteachers, vice-chancellors etc. There is generally in society a huge disparity between what people at the top get paid and what people in the middle and bottom tiers earn. So I don't see any point in picking on the BBC in particular. And I think the licence fee is remarkably low for what you get. Personally I'd pay that amount of money for the genius that is Eddie Mair alone.

The80sweregreat · 20/07/2017 10:35

hackmum, i do agree with you. when you read that the head of a council can earn 250k , then it makes me wonder too how they can justify it all. my council tax is a lot more than the licence fee.

LaurieMarlow · 20/07/2017 10:37

I feel bad for the BBC. This is Tory/Murdoch shit stirring to undermine them. And it's working.

Having said that, the gender pay gap is appalling, but I agree that its hard to make like for like comparisons when hours/responsibilities/contracts are not necessarily the same and we're not privy to all the info.

As for the salaries themselves, they're (mostly) not megabucks and they'd command a hell of a lot more if they went to ITV.

The BBC is probably the best broadcaster in the world. Go watch some foreign TV if you don't believe me. They need big names and they need to pay them a reasonable (though don't like yourself this is actual market) rate.

The quality of programming is an absolute bargain for the license fee if you ask me.

The80sweregreat · 20/07/2017 10:45

I dont want to pay for Sky, i;m not a sports fan at all and movies i can take or leave.
If i could have pay for view for the BBC and radio at the same price i pay now, then i would. purely for the drama and news , five live and radio two.
trouble is, it then wouldnt be the same price and i would left with nothing at all to watch on tv! we cant all afford to go out all the time for some entertainment, down time etc. i can see it happening though, this report and shit stirring is all being done for a reason.

JoshLymanJr · 20/07/2017 10:48

when you read that the head of a council can earn 250k , then it makes me wonder too how they can justify it all. my council tax is a lot more than the licence fee.

Do you mean the political head of the Council, or the Chief Executive? Either way, one is analogous to the Chairman of a major board of directors, the other to the CEO of a major company - in the private sector those positions would be worth much more than £250k and come with much less civic responsibility.

The80sweregreat · 20/07/2017 10:51

just what i read once that someone earned in Essex county council.

Eve · 20/07/2017 10:55

.. usual frothing from the Daily Mail where editor Paul Dacre earned a £1,448,000 salary in 2016, as well as £59,000 in benefits that included a company car and family medical insurance.

No BBC plays right into sky's and Murdoch agenda.

JoshLymanJr · 20/07/2017 10:59

just what i read once that someone earned in Essex county council.

Probably Chief Exec - ours earns about £150k as CE for a small local authority.

this report and shit stirring is all being done for a reason.

Totally agree - the Tory government has Murdoch's whip at their backs and have been put up to this. Not that I don't think the BBC shouldn't have to face questions about pay as a public service, but the motives are hideous.

The80sweregreat · 20/07/2017 11:02

My mum used to say that the advertisers used to put the price of the ads onto the goods! Not sure if this is true, but to advertise on ITV/ sky etc etc. cant be cheap.
i cannot believe what people pay for their tv channels, movies , sport and so on, yet they moan about the licence fee!

The80sweregreat · 20/07/2017 11:05

There is a huge motive here - the Tories cant leave anything alone.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

derxa · 20/07/2017 11:06

Oh, also Matt Baker doesn't just do the One Show - Countryfile must pay a fair bit, and he also commentates on gymnastics. What else does Alex Jones do? They're both bloody awful. The 'stars' on the BBC are the reason I rarely watch it. Andrew Neil and Laura Kuenssberg are brilliant. I think he and Jo Co were furious yesterday.

Eve · 20/07/2017 11:08

is Game of Thrones made by Sky... according to variety its top stars earn $500,000 per episode? Casualty salary is somewhat less

..and an ITV prime time advert cost ranges from a low of approximately £7,000 to a high of around £50,000.

JoshLymanJr · 20/07/2017 11:10

is Game of Thrones made by Sky

Game of Thrones is made by HBO, and broadcast by Sky in the UK.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.