My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To find the use of the word 'curating' utterly wnakery and pretentious?

190 replies

GetafixTheDruid · 07/07/2017 05:45

I've noticed it being used more and more. Today on Facebook a Boden ad popped up - 'we're curating a collection of clothing for all the family' Hmm. What a load of bobbins.

Also, home interior magazines. 'Saskia curates a collection of bohemian trinkets and retro objects' Saskia has a load of old car boot tut in her drawing room.

Unless you are in charge of a museum using the word 'curating' should be banned, you pretentious arses.

OP posts:
GetafixTheDruid · 07/07/2017 06:44

YY Dora hacks is irritating. Only hacks if you are chopping them apart, I will deign to find some IKEA 'hacks' acceptable.
Oxo cube hacks (squishing them still inside the foil, as mentioned earlier this week) not ok.

OP posts:
MaisyPops · 07/07/2017 06:46

Curating a museum or art gallery = fine and accurate

Content curator (as a way of saying someone's job is to write shit for social media) = wanky

Lots of these curating/styled/edit etc seem to all be linked to people making money from social media so it's all self promotion and trying to sell your everyday life choices (that everyone else does!) As some kind of creative expression.

Veronicat · 07/07/2017 06:47

I always thought Hacks were done on horses. I was quite confused the first time I saw that damn hashtag Confused

HereBeFuckery · 07/07/2017 06:52

It devalues the work of actual curators who train (professionally) to become such. Fucking hipster cunts, thinking they can just 'identify' as a curator and be one.

Also, 'shop the edit'. This is beyond rage-inducing. An edit is what an editor does to text, not a motley collection of shite you made too much of and want to persuade us is the shite we should buy. Fuck off.

GetafixTheDruid · 07/07/2017 07:00

herebefuckery I appreciate your rage on the matter Grin I feel the same myself. Have a cup of tea Brew. I edited/curated/sourced/hacked it earlier. (It's own brand, regular tea not Pomegranate and artichoke or some such hipster nonsense).

OP posts:
BoomBoomsCousin · 07/07/2017 07:26

SuburbanRhonda from my experience with schools I would suggest you could try "protecting" or "COA" depending on what's actually being "safeguarded". And for "Support" - "help" and "filling in forms" could be more illuminating.

OP I also hate "curated". I think they should use "thrown together by me and my friends" and "promoted". But more than that, I just hate the sound of it, it's really awkward and trying-to-hard.

KERALA1 · 07/07/2017 07:26

I don't know Rhonda I know it's irrational but it seems every other word at school presentations ATM are "safeguarding and support".

SuburbanRhonda · 07/07/2017 07:31

KERALA

I agree but I think that's because schools and other "universal services" are now expected to do so much of the work that social services used to do, so their role has changed to include those things. In my day the very last place my parents would have gone to for support was my school.

GimbleInTheWabe · 07/07/2017 07:32

I also hate 'gifted' as in 'I was gifted this gorgeous Mulberry bag, I'm so blessed!'

See also: 'piece'. Pretentious Wanker: "I was gifted this gorgeous piece from Gucci last year" Moi: "you mean they sent you a coat?" Hmm

SuburbanRhonda · 07/07/2017 07:37

boom

Safeguarding is so much more than protecting though. Earlier intervention means that a lot of my work is preventive, rather than protective.

And there are days when I wish it was just helping parents fill in forms, believe me.

Ime parents prefer you not to use acronyms so even if I knew what COA meant, I wouldn't use it in a conversation with a parent.

WinifredAtwellsOtherPiano · 07/07/2017 07:39

"Shop the edit", in context, implies that most of the shop's stuff is dreadful tat you wouldn't be seen dead in, but that if you look hard you might be able to find enough decent "pieces" to make a wearable outfit. Now in the case of M&S this is very much the case, but I'm surprised to see them admitting it.

Lockheart · 07/07/2017 07:39

I was an actual curator in an actual museum with actual artefacts, and not once did I ever use 'curate' as a verb.

It's pretentious wankery of the highest degree!

MintToBee · 07/07/2017 07:42

Ooooohhhhh, I've just been gifted a phone bill Grin

Laiste · 07/07/2017 07:49

MIL is 'touching base' with us this weekend apparently.

For years we've all happily known it as a quick phone call. No idea where this has come from Grin

LakieLady · 07/07/2017 07:52

I curate DP's wardrobe. I gifted him a shirt yesterday, which I sourced in Tesco. I'm styling it with a cropped trouser and a deck shoe.

Then we'll pop out for dinner at a little place we know that serves up artisan bread, pan-fried locally sourced fish and hand-cut chips, which we'll wash down with a pint or two of craft beer sourced from an artisan brewery.

Pigface1 · 07/07/2017 07:53

YANBU OP. Curate, handpicked, sourced - all horrendous.

rhonda - personally the context in which I find 'safeguarding' irritating is when it's used on here to mean 'a magic word you can use to get a school to do whatever you want.' As in: 'tell them it's a safeguarding issue!'

JigglyTuff · 07/07/2017 07:53

God yes. Curating and edit (as in the style edit). Fuck off

TrinityTaylor · 07/07/2017 07:54

Museum or art gallery curator, totally fine, how interesting etc

Teen with an iPhone curating pics for their instagram, FFS massive eye roll

Also hate the word "aesthetic" - "it's not really my aesthetic" or "the aesthetic of my blog is really specific, I have extremely unusual tastes" (usually full of weird looking people in bizarre outfits or sunsets with a filter over them)

VeryButchyRestingFace · 07/07/2017 07:56

I haven't seen 'curating' used in this way yet.

What a load of wank. I must start using it myself - in fact, I'll diary it. Grin

SuburbanRhonda · 07/07/2017 07:59

pigface

I know what you mean. Although when I give safeguarding training to staff, it does often seem like almost everything is or could be a safeguarding issue!

ClopySow · 07/07/2017 07:59

I have hand picked a rizla and some rolling tobacco and am currently smoking an artisan cigarette with some freeze dried kenyan coffee beans, freshly boiled tap water and a splash of cows breast nectar from the chiller cabinet.

HollyBollyBooBoo · 07/07/2017 08:01

Totally agree, it's the buzz word at word at the moment along with 'loop in', 'ladder up' and 'deck' (as in a PowerPoint presentation!)

StarHeartDiamond · 07/07/2017 08:04

YANBU!!! It makes my teeth itch and my scalp cringe with the sheer pretentiousness.

I often pick out such words when reading articles to rage to dh about but he doesn't get it, which makes the rage worse. "So they've said "curates" for lipstick, does it really matter?" he drones, reasonably (I guess Hmm) but boringly....

Bohemond · 07/07/2017 08:06

To me a curator is a dodgy old bloke in scooby doo (cf. caretaker also). I chuckle when some modern dickhead uses the word.

TrinityTaylor · 07/07/2017 08:08

That Forbes article has actually made me unreasonably angry oh my god the utter WANKERY

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.