Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Joey Maynard

29 replies

waitforitfdear · 01/07/2017 09:30

Re visiting my collection of the womderful Chalet School and am puzzled. As a child I thought Joey the embodiment of all that was womderful in a wife and mother but now realise she's a monumental pain up the arse.

Aibu to not understand how Eleanor created the lovely Madge, Frieda,Simone Marie,Nell. Bill,Rosalie etc and made Joey the bloody heroine. She's so bloody irritating Wink

OP posts:
annandale · 01/07/2017 18:59

Yes but what fees? Cold baths, endless coffee and bread twists to fill them up, cheap unqualified teachers. Probably about 3 guineas a term?

alltouchedout · 01/07/2017 19:01

I hated most of the people in the books and was aghast reading them- but I still read them, as many as I could get my hands on. There was something compelling about them.
I will have to seek out this book about them all being grown up, sounds like I would actually enjoy it if they are all bloody miserable. Please tell me Madge ended her days impoverished and the doctors were struck off and the school was closed forever and having been a pupil there became a badge of shame.

Slimthistime · 01/07/2017 19:06

Anna, cold or chill off if I recall correctly! Grin

Touched, that made me laugh. I don't think I read enough to dislike them, most of the names here mean nothing to me, but whatever I read included Joey and her sister turning from real people into wind up doll wives. There's just something so odd about it. Not even something like Little Women or What Katy Did was quite so awful when got married.

I read one about a teacher there, she had a nice room from the description. Funny what you remember.

MissHavishamsleftdaffodil · 01/07/2017 19:17

Jack only seemed to like the girls in their family too. In fact I always thought they were pretty horrible to their sons once they got past Charles, and Mike needed to move out to one of his eleventy billion equally weird aunties. In various parts of the empire.

They weren't much nicer to the many boys among the many many kids they adopted - eleven by birth but I lost track of how many of them were kicking around the house by the end!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.