Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To tell my landlord to jog on

120 replies

sahknowme · 23/06/2017 13:12

I've given notice on the flat I'm renting, and the landlord has said they're looking to sell it anyway. They now want to come round, send the EA round to do a valuation, take photos and do repairs while we're still living here.

The happened to us before in a previous rental, and the landlady really took the piss, so I'm only going to let them come round when it's convenient to us, and I'm not going to let them send the EA round, or do repairs while I'm still here. AIBU???

OP posts:
TheDogAteMyGoatskinVellum · 23/06/2017 18:17

You can expect all you want though coralll but you've no right to, however hard done by it might make you feel. In those circumstances personally I would allow access if possible, feels like the right thing, but the right to live in peace isn't actually negotiable. It's not something you forfeit if you do something that makes the LL miss out on another month's rent.

Uberfluffs · 23/06/2017 18:33

Our last two landlords have done this - they give us notice, then put the house on the market straight away and we have two months of strangers tromping in and out of our house every other day.

The last one at least sold after 5 viewings, the house we're in now must have had 20-25 viewings and still hasn't sold.

Like hell are they giving us any money off the rent, and the estate agents always seem surprised and pissed off when they phone at 3pm asking to bring someone round at 5:30 and we say (yet again) that we agreed 24 hours notice.

And another thing (gathering steam here!) - half the time the viewers don't bother to turn up, so we've run around cleaning, putting things away and making things nice for nothing. One viewer came in after I'd spent two hours cleaning the house from top to bottom, walked as far as the kitchen and walked out again. Didn't even bother looking upstairs.

We started off being reasonable but we're now thinking that enough's enough, they can all view it once we've gone in a couple of weeks. The landlords seemed OK before but seem happy to let the estate agents do whatever they want, even when I've complained to them. They've also never said thanks, which you'd think was a fairly simple thing, for all the intrusion and clearing up.

Interesting to read that we don't have to let them in if we don't want to, the estate agent pretty much said we do have to with 24 hours notice.

TheDogAteMyGoatskinVellum · 23/06/2017 18:35

Why are you tidying up and cleaning for them?

Uberfluffs · 23/06/2017 18:38

I just don't fancy people that I potentially might be bumping into again seeing my house in a state to be honest, and have two pre-teen boys, a messy DH and a full time job so never enough time to clear up.

Uberfluffs · 23/06/2017 18:39

Our landlady even asked if we could open all the blinds every time there was a viewing, because feedback was that the house was too dark. I might have lost it a little with her.

Babbitywabbit · 23/06/2017 18:41

You don't have to allow viewings. If your LL has always been reasonable, and you've given notice anyway, then there doesn't seem to be any reason to make life difficult for the hell of it. Unless you're just one or those unhappy types who likes to be difficult just because. In which case- fill your boots

tillytown · 23/06/2017 19:46

YANBU

Maxandrubyrubyandmax · 23/06/2017 20:27

But why be difficult? This is the land lords property. Does it really affect you someone coming round to do those things when you will presumably be at work? I so couldn't be. Land lord

LRDtheFeministDragon · 23/06/2017 20:48

Yes, but it is the OP's home. Most people don't like the idea of strangers in their home when they're not there, do they? That's why the law is as it is.

LRDtheFeministDragon · 23/06/2017 20:51

Oh - and this is not a fault of the LL or the tenant, but a situation that's made me cautious was my mate's experience. She and her partner had just got married and had been given some very large and attractive trees in pots for the garden in the house they were to move in to. They'd put them in the yard of their rented house. It came to moving time, and they emptied the house, and were confronted by the new inhabitants, absolutely hopping mad, as they believed they had 'stolen' part of the garden they'd paid for! Shock

I forget the details of how they sorted it, and obviously they were in the right and it wasn't hard to prove, but it's made me very cautious about checking exactly what's included in a tenancy (and not always trusting lettings agents whom I've known to lie calmly), and checking that any viewers of places I rent, know what's mine.

So, that's why you might not want the agent to show people around while you're out.

speedywell · 23/06/2017 23:02

Yes accompany the viewings yourself each time. And remember if you have built in wardrobes people want to see inside them to see how much space there is!

RE tenancy agreements, there have been horrendous and illegal terms in every single one we have signed. Some negotiated away but mostly could not negotiate as we badly the needed the pace so were in a poor position to start with.

They make me fearful because many LLs actually believe they can enforce the terms, as the agents recommend the terms to try it on but the LLs don't always unerstand the law.

Our current one states "no social gatherings" for instance! I can't even have a birthday party! ;) but we have a nice LL now so it isn't a problem, but the wording still grates.

Var1234 · 24/06/2017 08:50

Its the landlord's property but it is leased out to someone else. That means in return for receiving cash every month, you lose much of your rights of usage. Emergency repairs - yes, routine inspections - yes, inconveniencing the lessees to save yourself a down period - only if they are generous enough to give you this.

Var1234 · 24/06/2017 09:04

@Uberfluffs - as I understand it they can't just pick any moment, give you 24 hours (written) notice and then turn up. You have the right to refuse access. You also have the right not to allow them to enter your home without permission - except in case of fire, flood etc

I would tidy up too.Its a question of pride. When you are in the midst of packing though, its difficult to enough without having

I think a bit of give and take is the way to make this work. Estate agents can be so forceful though, that it really gets my back up.

MirandaWest · 24/06/2017 10:53

There's tidying and there's the sort of tidying for someone looking round the house. Am hoping that no one wants to come and look round here imminently as doing that for someone else to sell their house is quite a lot of effort. We will do it of course.

expatinscotland · 24/06/2017 12:50

'But why be difficult? This is the land lords property. Does it really affect you someone coming round to do those things when you will presumably be at work? I so couldn't be. Land lord'

You'd be happy with randoms coming into your home whilst you are not there? People have had possessions stolen during viewings when they were not present, had their belongings handled and re-arranged. That's why plenty are not happy with viewings whilst they are not in the home. It is their home they have paid for the hire of. Posters on here have been in the bed, in the middle of a meal, etc when EA's show up and barge in with viewers.

GivePeasAGo · 24/06/2017 22:42

In terms of repairs, are they things you asked for repair during your tenancy and were denied? If they were then it's not arsy at all. We had an estate agent ignore or refuse damaged plaster and paintwork to be repaired. It was all mouldy underneath so cleaned ourselves but were told no to them repairing or us doing. When we gave notice they wanted access to repair for viewings and to use our electricity. Piss takers. We refused.

I would agree to

Kickhiminthenuts · 24/06/2017 22:50

Tricky one.
I wouldn't do viewings and I'd be reluctant to do photos. As it's photos of your stuff.
Last time our LL sold the agents were awful, turning up early /late/ not at all. Whilst trying to pack but keep the house tidy for viewings.

So I'd let them value, potentially repair (depending on convenience to you) but not the rest.

Kickhiminthenuts · 24/06/2017 22:56

Uber's Flowers it's fucking shit.
Estate agents treat you like crap (which given your a potential repeat customer is stupid really)
Viewers feel awkward
You feel like they are judging you.
It's your furniture and life in the pictures.
And never knowing when your actually going.its horrid

PenguinOfDoom · 24/06/2017 23:05

I'm an LL and I told my tenants repeatedly that if any repairs needed doing, they should contact me and I'd do it asap. They contacted me for a few things which were done within 2-5 days - stuff like oven/washing machine not working, leaky tap etc. I'd also text them every couple of months to check they were ok and ask if anything needed doing. Unfortunately, they didn't tell me about a number of small repairs which resulted in the house needing a full refurb.

I wish they had asked me to do more because it would have been better for them and better for me in the long run but they were paying a low rent and I suspect they just decided not to say anything in case I chucked them out which I thought they understood I would never have done.

When they handed in their notice and before I knew about all the damage, I asked them if they minded me getting agents in to value but made it clear I'd wait till they vacated if they were not happy. They said they were fine with it and I also told the EAs they were to work with my tenants.

I was a tenant for 15 years and I try to treat my tenants how I would have wanted to be treated.

LRDtheFeministDragon · 24/06/2017 23:44

It's difficult, though - if you're a tenant you might not know which 'small' repairs are a potentially big deal, and which will make your LL write you off as a pain and chuck you out.

I feel terrible about the first house I ever rented, aged 21, as I didn't realise that the ceiling bobbling slightly in the kitchen was an issue. By the time the LL saw it, the leaks from a bath that had never been fitted with a proper overflow had damaged all of the plasterwork.

But oftentimes you do report something, and nothing comes of it. Our current house has a boiler that's been on the blink for the best part of a year. The LL needs to replace it - I do feel fairly sure that's the truth and the only option - but because he doesn't live here, he doesn't accept that it's getting as bad as it is. As a result, he's called in emergency plumbers several times to deal with a total failure of heating and hot water. It's his money, of course, but a replacement boiler would, by now, have been much cheaper!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.