Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To tell my landlord to jog on

120 replies

sahknowme · 23/06/2017 13:12

I've given notice on the flat I'm renting, and the landlord has said they're looking to sell it anyway. They now want to come round, send the EA round to do a valuation, take photos and do repairs while we're still living here.

The happened to us before in a previous rental, and the landlady really took the piss, so I'm only going to let them come round when it's convenient to us, and I'm not going to let them send the EA round, or do repairs while I'm still here. AIBU???

OP posts:
rallytog1 · 23/06/2017 14:52

I think you're reasonable about minimising viewings but I think you need to remember repairs are a 2 way street. If you suddenly had no hot water or there was a leak from the roof you'd expect the ll to fix it, even though you're in your notice period. They might be inclined not to bother if you've informed them you're not going to allow access for repairs.

NoSquirrels · 23/06/2017 14:56

most of us would like to (for example) get the gas engineer in there for a safety check once a year without having to negotiate the Treaty of Versailles with a tenant.

^^ what Essential said. LLs are human, just like tenants, and usually we all just want a bit if quiet enjoyment ourselves, and a reasonable working relationship with a reasonable tenant who recognises we're not out to inconvenience them is so so helpful.

Thisarmingman · 23/06/2017 15:01

This isn't about a gas engineer though. There have been several landlords on this thread who have said they wouldn't expect a tenant to comply with these particular requests and also that marketing for sale with a tenant in occupation is not only unreasonable but also foolish.

sahknowme · 23/06/2017 15:02

I've bought a house, so don't care about reference. I don't want to be difficult for no reason - just don't want to get walked all over like last time.

Previous landlady was lovely, but they suddenly became unreasonable during the last couple of months with their access requests.

This landlord is a bit more business-like, but gut instinct from emails so far is that they'll become unreasonable quickly, so I want to be sure this is done on my terms, and I'll try to accommodate, but I'm not going to bend over backwards by cancelling plans etc. I'll give access for them to assess repairs, but I don't want my things moved/photographed by the EA, and all visits need to be accompanied by me or DH.

OP posts:
sahknowme · 23/06/2017 15:04

In fact another time this happened (3rd time a landlord has sold a place while we're renting off them), during the viewings, someone pissed on the toilet seat and left it there for me to clean up.

OP posts:
Thisarmingman · 23/06/2017 15:06

Plus of course these requests will inconvenience the tenant. And bring no benefit to her. So she should comply just to prevent the landlord acting "unpalatably"? Sounds pretty one sided to me. If a reduction in rent was offered to reflect the inconvenience that is wholly for the landlord's benefit that would be different, but as things stand it's not being an arsehole to say no.

Purplepotatoe · 23/06/2017 15:09

What does your tenancy say?

Totally irrelavant, contrary to what some LL think, tenancies do not trump the law which is written notice AND agreement from the tenant.

You are not BU, it's still your home in the meanwhile.

If they don't like it, that's just part and parcel of renting properties out.

Depends on your relationship with the LL, my last one was just awful so I did not feel inclined to be helpful with viewings when I decided to move out.

Roomster101 · 23/06/2017 15:11

I think that if you have bought a house and therefore won't need a reference in the future I certainly wouldn't be too helpful. A couple of prearranged visits with you or your DH there sounds fine but anything more would be quite inconvenient.

MrsTerryPratchett · 23/06/2017 15:12

The landlord waited until you were moving to sell. Sounds reasonable to me.

All EA visits accompanied sounds fair and like it would prevent problems.

Roomster101 · 23/06/2017 15:15

What LL posters are saying is that often a bit if give and take leads to happier outcomes all round. By the letter of the law, a LL could charge for damage out of the deposit if it was warranted. But they wouldn't bother if they'd saved themselves money in lost voids, extra sale revenue etc if the tenant had been amenable to some slight inconvenience. Quid pro quo.

There's no guarantee of that particularly as the LL might not realise OP had done them a favour at all. Anyway, personally I'd rather lose a few pounds from the deposit rather than put up with multiple visits from estate agents/potential buyers etc.

KickAssAngel · 23/06/2017 15:16

How long until you leave? If they're trying to get regular access and you have another 2 months there, I'd say no. If it's the last week and you're packing up anyway, they can take their chances, but each appt. has to be OK'd by you.

At any time, I'd want to be able to tell them that I get to say yes or no to each individual appt, not a blanket yes. That would be my position.

Lanaorana2 · 23/06/2017 15:19

A lot of stealth LLs calling BU on this thread.

Your LL is trying to get an extra month's rent under her belt by prepping the house for sale while you're paying to live in it. I'm calling FO.

Say no, or, better, ask for a discount and a guarantee you'll get your deposit back.

Var1234 · 23/06/2017 15:26

YANBU - the key word is "reasonable". Its reasonable to give him access to do urgent repairs, but, if you example, he wants to redecorate to help with his sale then he can do it on his own time and not yours. It is unreasonable of him to even put ou in a position where you have to deal with this.

estate agents - you may be obliged to allow them in depending on the lease wording, however its unreasonable to not receive 24 hours written notice (an email would sufffice) and even then its not a case of we're coming, whether you like it or not, its "may we come?"

However, with 9 weeks to go, you could just refuse continuously and by the time the landlord has got round to enforcing the contract through the courts, you'll be gone anyway.

NoSquirrels · 23/06/2017 15:27

Blimey.

As I said in my first post - I'd understand if my tenant said no, but I'd feel a bit miffed. Conversely, I'd feel happy if they were accommodating. Because I am a human not just a money-grabbing stereotype.

But it is totally the tenants call what to agree to and in most cases the outcome would be the same one way or the other. I'm quite pleased I am an ex LL!

MrsTerryPratchett · 23/06/2017 15:37

A lot of stealth LLs calling BU on this thread. I've been a landlord, once. I've a tenant, many times. I also work for a tenant education non-profit and have worked in homelessness for decades. And in my opinion, the best solution to almost all tenant/landlord issues is to be reasonable.

The attitude of 'fuck the landlord' just dehumanises people. Half the issue is that both tenants and landlords think the entire class of the other is awful. Not a great way to conduct any relationship; starting from a position of hating the other side.

Nowwhatsthis · 23/06/2017 15:39

As I said in my first post - I'd understand if my tenant said no, but I'd feel a bit miffed.

Yes, if you have offered a reduction of rent for the last month for the tenant to allow viewings etc then you do have the right to feel a bit miffed.
If you are expecting access to a property during time which your tenant pays you for, you are being very U.

OlennasWimple · 23/06/2017 15:45

What LRD and MrsTerryPratchett said

It must be so tiring to be needlessly antagonistic. Sure, tenants aren't legally obliged to facilitate viewings, but in a normal grown up world everything is so much easier and nicer with a bit of give and take.

NoSquirrels · 23/06/2017 15:48

Quite agree MrsPratchett. It's a funny old business as it's an emotionally fraught business arrangement in many way, dealing with people's homes. I was a tenant at the same time as being a LL - there really isn't much benefit in not being accommodating if you can on either side.

If you are expecting access to a property during time which your tenant pays you for, you are being very U

I think we might have to agree to disagree - depending on the circumstances, it can be to mutual advantage of the tenant if they are happy to allow it, despite not offering a rent reduction. But if they're not happy of course they are not obliged. I can still feel privately miffed though, without being unreasonable - perks of being human. Grin

Thisarmingman · 23/06/2017 16:04

How is it of advantage to the tenant?

I can see none, as things stand.

I'm curious as to how this is an example of give and take, also. What is the landlord giving to the tenant?

abbsisspartacus · 23/06/2017 16:08

What are the repairs?

Thisarmingman · 23/06/2017 16:17

Actually, thinking about it, I suppose it could be quite handy to apply this concept of a normal grown up world where people pay for things and get less than they are entitled to to other situations. I mean, I quite fancy having an extra we off work in August but I don't have leave to cover it available. So if I just don't turn up and then demand full wages from my employer that would be Ok wouldn't it - you know, give and take, we're all adults etc. Fuck the fact that my employer has statutory rights - they just need to be less antagonistic.

NoSquirrels · 23/06/2017 16:19

I said depending on the circumstances it can be of mutual benefit, and earlier in my posts I shared a situation I was in that was very similar that was indeed of mutual benefit to both me and my tenants (flexibility over moving dates & notice periods when in a house purchase chain). OP is also biting so it's not without the bounds of possibility that it could help to be a bit flexible too.

But no one is obliged. Some people do seem pretty invested in believing that all LLs are out to be unscrupulous - and I've explained my position quite a few times in quite a few words already!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

NoSquirrels · 23/06/2017 16:19

biting = moving

MrsTerryPratchett · 23/06/2017 16:21

What is the landlord giving to the tenant? They did wait until the tenant wanted to leave to sell.

I give workmen in my house tea and beer. I don't have to. They are really kind to my kid. They don't have to be. I went to a car place last night where we bought our car. They had a gift for DD. They know we won't be in the market for years and that their cars are flying off the lot anyway.

Don't other people just behave nicely if it doesn't cost them too much? I find it comes back in other ways. If the LL acts like an arsehole, feel free to act like one back but I see for reason for preemptive arsehole-ishness.

Roomster101 · 23/06/2017 16:32

I don't see what is antagonistic about not wanting people to visit multiple times, taking photos etc. That could be quite inconvenient especially if it involved tidying up etc before hand.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.