Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To tell my landlord to jog on

120 replies

sahknowme · 23/06/2017 13:12

I've given notice on the flat I'm renting, and the landlord has said they're looking to sell it anyway. They now want to come round, send the EA round to do a valuation, take photos and do repairs while we're still living here.

The happened to us before in a previous rental, and the landlady really took the piss, so I'm only going to let them come round when it's convenient to us, and I'm not going to let them send the EA round, or do repairs while I'm still here. AIBU???

OP posts:
Thisarmingman · 23/06/2017 16:33

Is there any suggestion that they delayed the sale for the tenant? They certainly haven't proposed to delay it until she no longer has a tenancy and therefore the right to occupy.

Roomster101 · 23/06/2017 16:35

They did wait until the tenant wanted to leave to sell.

That might be because OP is a good tenant and they were happy to have her there but don't want the hassle of new tenants. It doesn't mean they were doing her a favour.

EssentialHummus · 23/06/2017 16:41

How is it of advantage to the tenant?

I've had a tenant in similar circs to the OP - moving out as buying. She'd been just fine to that point, but I asked her after she gave notice if she'd mind my coming round for 20 minutes to measure up the kitchen (I wanted to install new units after she left). She blanked my email and my (one) follow up email. I left it. Roll on two months, her completion got delayed by a week and she phoned me in hysterics to ask me whether she could stay on because otherwise she'd need to find a place for her stuff and commute from Mars and so on. Funnily enough, I said no.

She didn't need to allow me access, I didn't need to allow her to stay... Everyone acted fully within their rights. Great, eh?

I was also going to give a similar example to mrs - I booked my car in for a same-day MOT yesterday, and the guy rang apologetically to say that it'd been one thing after another and was today ok instead? No issue to me, so I agreed. When I collected the car I saw that he'd replaced some blown bulbs free of charge. I could've stamped my feet about how my MOT was supposed to be same day, he could've charged me.

No one's suggesting the OP tug her forelock and agree to the LL doing extensive repairs or letting viewers in every night of the week. But the reasonable thing to do, IMO, is allow viewings in one hour-long block, or allow the EA to come in, value, and take photos once.

I'll be here under my umbrella waiting for the shower of shit to rain down about the tenant's fundamental rights.

OlennasWimple · 23/06/2017 16:48

I have some loose change to the person in front of me at the supermarket today because their shopping came to something like 50.07 and they only had notes to pay. Saved the hassle of the supermarket giving lots of change and the other shopper having lots of change, but yeah, that's not how the transaction should technically have happened

Thisarmingman · 23/06/2017 16:51

You sound lovely. You let her be homeless and put her stuff into storage out of spite because she didn't answer your email? Wow.

Thisarmingman · 23/06/2017 16:53

Allowing people into your home for the benefit of someone else, for them to carry out works, take photographs and view it is not the same as giving someone 7p.

NoSquirrels · 23/06/2017 16:56

Thisarming so it's "spite" when the LL enforces the letter of the contract law (move out when you said you would) but not when the tenant enforces their "right to quiet enjoyment" by refusing to communicate?

Either you are enjoying being deliberately obtuse, or you have a chip on your shoulder you may wish to get removed.

VintagePerfumista · 23/06/2017 17:05

"Stealth LL.." .

I was one of the first to answer the OP. She is being U.

I've been a tenant for 30 odd years and I imagine I always will be.

MN tenant/landlord threads only go one way. T'was ever thus.

There really should be a vinegar emoticon for the plentiful chips.

wondering23 · 23/06/2017 17:07

I realise that Artisan, but the LL is not making any requests that the T has not agreed to. Yes the T is entitled to quiet enjoyment, but they have also agreed to repairs and viewings and they should stand by what they agreed.

If a builder turns up unannounced tomorrow morning then I can see that this would be a disruption to quiet enjoyment. If it is arranged in advanced at a time that is convenient for everyone that why be difficult?

I wonder if the T would be so precious about disruption to her quiet enjoyment if she were staying put and stood to benefit from the repairs.

Var1234 · 23/06/2017 17:12

I wonder if the T would be so precious about disruption to her quiet enjoyment if she were staying put and stood to benefit from the repairs.

Maybe she wouldn't mind , maybe she would. But as there is no benefit to her, why should she take the burden. Maybe she should suggest a house swap to LL for the last two months so that she can have quiet enjoyment and s/he can have people traipsing in and out of their home?

NoSquirrels · 23/06/2017 17:15

Vintage There really should be a vinegar emoticon for the plentiful chips.

Grin

Jng1 · 23/06/2017 17:20

Wow - I've been out on the school run and have come back to see this has moved on a bit Confused

Some serious chips on shoulders here!

The OP didn't actually specify the extent /time commitment of any of the things she mentions. It could be a very minimal commitment:

• come round & send the EA round to do a valuation, take photos [30-45 mins max]
  • do repairs...could be anything from 30mins to a few hours? [Note - she says 'do repairs' not fully refurbish the kitchen and build a loft extension...]

All the LLs on here are saying is to engage in some reasonable, adult dialogue before automatically sayin 'nah, s/he's going to piss me about, so I'm going to tell them to 'jog on' ' Confused

Have a conversation! Set some reasonable limits and conditions:
  • a one hour period for the EA
  • a morning for repairs if the landlord accompanies any tradesmen etc
  • no viewings before you leave/ whatever
  • explain that you've had issues before if you want to

You may be well be able to dig your heels in and assert your 'rights' to refuse access etc, but don't come back whinging when the LL decides to assert theirs in return!

Is it not exhausting to be so angry and arsey all the time?

Chill. Relax. Be nice, and the world will be nicer back to you...
Roomster101 · 23/06/2017 17:21

There's absolutely no guarantee that the landlord will let OP move out later or do any other favours whether or not she lets them totally inconveniences her. The chances are that they will think OP is obliged to be inconvenienced as many LL on here seem to think is the case. If I was OP I would make sure that there was a reasonable time between exchange and completion so she won't have to ask the LL for favours anyway.

EssentialHummus · 23/06/2017 17:22

You sound lovely. You let her be homeless and put her stuff into storage out of spite because she didn't answer your email? Wow.

She was a thirty-something woman in steady employment, so I expect she either found an AirBnB or kipped on a mate's sofa, and paid Big Yellow for a week. In return I had an extra week's void while Ikea ordered in a kitchen once I'd been able to measure for it. My being friendly and accommodating isn't a requirement - like most people if I am treated with courtesy I will act with courtesy back.

I have lots of examples of this too, but this being MN no-one is going to pat me on the back when I say that I helped my tenant move heavy stuff with my car / answered a call at stupid o' clock to sort out a neighbour dispute etc. I'll simply be told that I should be doing that because I'm a rapacious cunt who's charging tenantss ££££ per week to live in what must be a Dickensian hovel, because of course that's every LL, ever.

OlennasWimple · 23/06/2017 17:22

"Stealth landlord" Grin

Given anyone can pretend to be anything on t'internet...

Thisarming - are you missing the point on purpose or because you don't understand it?

londonrach · 23/06/2017 17:24

Yanbu. Doesnt matter whats written in your tenancy you can refuse access for photos and viewings.

Thisarmingman · 23/06/2017 17:25

Several landlords have advised not to agree and have said they wouldn't ask. Are they chippy too?

Thisarmingman · 23/06/2017 17:27

You sound very angry, Humus. Are you sure that being a landlord is the right thing for you?

EssentialHummus · 23/06/2017 17:39

Are you sure that being a landlord is the right thing for you?

Quite sure, thanks. I am angry - this issue deserves my anger. I've been on MN long enough to see lots of tenants do lots of things that are harmful to them because posters who wouldn't know a contract if it bit them said the equivalent of "Oh, but hun, it's your right! Sock it to the man!" When I have the time and energy to reply, I do.

I'm not going to engage with you further though this - I'm not sure if you're trying to be obtuse, but it is coming across that way, and that's less worthy of my energy.

Thisarmingman · 23/06/2017 17:51

It works both ways though doesn't it - the ignorance on the site. Even on this thread we've had people pipe up about how the OP needs to comply if it's in her contract zone and this from people who say they are landlords.

Anyway, I am happy to disengage from a person who has spent his/her time on this thread talking about the ways she would and has screwed people over when they don't comply with demands they don't have to. You may be right and all other landlords are also spiteful petty bastards in which case I guess your advice stands. But it has been monumentally unpleasant to read what you've had to say.

TheDogAteMyGoatskinVellum · 23/06/2017 17:55

I realise that Artisan, but the LL is not making any requests that the T has not agreed to. Yes the T is entitled to quiet enjoyment, but they have also agreed to repairs and viewings and they should stand by what they agreed.

Alternatively, the LL shouldn't have put a clause in the contract they have no actual right to enforce, and can have no moral expectation that it should be complied with.

That said OP, I'd co-operate to the extent it wouldn't inconvenience me. If you think the LL is going to BU, don't allow it to get that far. But by all means say yes you can do visits every Thursday evening or whatever. Obviously don't take time off work for repairs etc, but in case you ever need anything from them again you may as well not piss them off when there's no need.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 23/06/2017 17:55

I am a LL and I wouldn't dream of doing any such things until after tenants had left. You are entitled to 'quiet enjoyment' which does not include random people in and out.

I have heard of LLs offering considerably reduced rent if tenants agree to viewings, etc., but I can't see that any tenant can be forced to agree. However I know that LLs and letting/estate agents will sometimes try to bully tenants into agreeing, by telling them they are obliged to put up with it.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Roomster101 · 23/06/2017 18:07

but the LL is not making any requests that the T has not agreed to. Yes the T is entitled to quiet enjoyment, but they have also agreed to repairs and viewings and they should stand by what they agreed.

Tennants often don't have any choice but to agree to unreasonable terms in the contract, especially if rental property is limited or landlords are all doing the same thing. That is why there are laws which override tenancy agreements.

Corallll · 23/06/2017 18:07

The repairs that you refer to in your initial post, are they repairs that you or anyone living in the property have caused? If they are then I would allow them access to fix them.

I'm a landlord and although our tenants have a right to live in peace, if they leave and if they've caused issues then I would expect them to allow us access to fix those problems. You may feel hard done by but it's another months rent for us.

Splodgeinc · 23/06/2017 18:15

I am an accidental landlord and have been a tenant recently, (was both landlord and tenant at same time, which massively confuses EA!)

We were buying when we moved out of our last rental and initially wanted to be accommodating to LL but he soon took the p.

He wanted access for repairs - sounds reasonable but not when you take into account we had been asking for these repairs for the last two years - fixing shower, and leaking roof, LL wS only prepared to do them when we were leaving . We asked for 48hrs notice of visits from potential new tenants accompanied by EA and said we worked nights but would EA shouted at me on phone then turned up with viewers and let self in when I was asleep from nights. Changes locks after that and redo didn't let them in.

Very happily called EA to inform them we were moving the property we let to another company as they were dickheads!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.