Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think it's rude that dh

127 replies

OnlyLoveHere · 15/06/2017 17:15

Speaks to his son in French, when I can't understand it. I think it's unfair to the rest of the family.

For example on Saturday we were in the car on a long journey and dh started speaking in French he does it often and I'm sure he's only talking about minor stuff but it's not nice because I don't know. I also don't see why he would want things to be said but me not to know.

His son doesn't speak French as his first language and is much better at English but can speak fluent French, so it's not even for understanding something.

Aibu to demand he stops this. Me and my dd and ds all feel the same.

OP posts:
Clalpolly · 16/06/2017 18:23

Don't you speak any French, op? Weird. I know a few bilingual families- the parent uses the language natural to them and mixes it with the other parent's. Great deal depends on the language of the country they live in too.
My grandmother spoke French when she didn't want the kids to understand. The kids spoke Gaelic when they didn't want their mum to understand. Turns out, my grandmother was also enough of a Gaelic speaker and turned a blind eye to whatever mischief the kids were talking about.

needsahalo · 16/06/2017 18:29

Learn French? Stretch yourself a bit?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.