My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think May deliberately ran a bad campaign to get out of doing Brexit?

40 replies

QuentinSummers · 11/06/2017 19:37

Every new bit of news I hear I think she surely surely can't be that stupid.
Alliance with the DUP??!!
Jeremy Hunt and Liam Fox to keep their jobs?
Michael Gove back in?!!!

AIBU to think she's trying desperately to get sacked so she doesn't have to deal with the Brexit shambles?

OP posts:
Nacknick · 11/06/2017 19:47

She could just resign...

EllaHen · 11/06/2017 19:53

First thing my Mum said.

As a Remainer, May have orchestrated such a monumental fuck up so that she doesn't have to do the negotiations. So that there's no hard Brexit.

I think no, she really is that stupid.

Cupcake1315 · 11/06/2017 19:58

I have been saying the same things with some of my friends. I believe she's a very clever woman and she has done all of this on purpose. But for some reason instead of resigning she's going about it this way.

alltouchedout · 11/06/2017 19:59

Nah, I don't think she's clever enough. She's just fucked it all up.

OneScotchOneBourbonOneBeer · 11/06/2017 20:00

But if she didn't want to do Brexit why did she become PM in the first place?

0hCrepe · 11/06/2017 20:03

No, if you remember (because such a lot had changed in a short time) when she called the election, she and everyone else thought she had it in the bag and that she was very clever. No one predicted this outcome. Her lazy campaign was because she took a win for granted.

0hCrepe · 11/06/2017 20:04

No, if you remember (because such a lot had changed in a short time) when she called the election, she and everyone else thought she had it in the bag and that she was very clever. No one predicted this outcome. Her lazy campaign was because she took a win for granted.

LyraTheDaemon · 11/06/2017 20:07

Surely if that were the case she would have resigned by now? I think she just wants to cling to being PM.

Achoopichu · 11/06/2017 20:08

I agree with ohcrepe lots of very clever people I know said she was very clever when she called the election. I thought it was very risky. Now in retrospect everyone's calling her stupid but only with the benefit of hindsight. It's not being fair to her really. But she did take a huge risk with the country's future so from that point of view she was irresponsible

Achoopichu · 11/06/2017 20:09

I don't think she's done it in purpose, I don't think she foresaw the strength of feeling of the remainers and students

DixieNormas · 11/06/2017 20:10

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Achoopichu · 11/06/2017 20:13

Fgs who would want to deal with Brexit it's a complete poisoned chalice. It will sink the country for the next 10 to 20 years Sad

0hCrepe · 11/06/2017 20:22

the whole referendum was a shambles. The leave campaign was like a game playing for votes, people lied to about what brexit would mean, boris and gove like sniggering schoolboys shouting nonsense and then running off when their bluff was called. No one really thought people would vote leave and they only did by a tiny majority because again many voters assumed remain would win and didn't bother. Why Cameron did it in the first place I've no idea. The he leaves may to clear up his mess who with some sort of cognitive dissonance takes brexit to an absolute extreme, forgetting that half the voters didn't want it anyway and many leave voters voted leave because they thought it meant more for the NHS and now know that to be bullshit.
They've exposed themselves as the liars they are.

Achoopichu · 11/06/2017 20:26

Hear hear ohcrepe

People don't realise what a complete shit heap we're in

ImperialBlether · 11/06/2017 20:29

On the one hand because she ran such a dreadful campaign, it's hard to think she did it deliberately, but she gave us an election thinking we would all vote for her and therefore she could go to Europe to negotiate knowing we were all behind her.

Bad idea. She's fired her advisers and has her fingers in her ears when her colleagues are telling her to go.

If she really wanted to be out of Brexit, she'd have resigned immediately she knew the GE results.

DixieNormas · 11/06/2017 20:32

ThroughThickAndThin01 · 11/06/2017 20:34

You would think so. Odd. All very very odd..

Achoopichu · 11/06/2017 20:35

She's not resigning because boris and the other brexiteers know that Brexit would have no chance at all if they had to waste time with a leadership election. Even without that wasted time it is a virtually impossible and incredibly expensive task in the 2 year timeframe. We were in a very bad position beforehand - the U.K. Is in a huge state of debt. But forget about dealing with that - lets hire thousands of lawyers to deal with Brexit like we've nithing more important to deal with. Get used to austerity it will be with us for a long time

annielouise · 11/06/2017 20:36

No. Her arrogance was extreme and pride comes before a fall.

MarshaBrady · 11/06/2017 20:37

I doubt it. More likely she thought it would be a landslide.

LovelyBath77 · 11/06/2017 20:38

I think it was complacency. She thought JC was awful and therefore the public did too, so she didn't really have to do anything and watch him come tumbling down. Then it was a shock.

DixieNormas · 11/06/2017 20:40

Achoopichu · 11/06/2017 20:41

There's such hypocrisy though - people are only calling her stupid in hindsight

DixieNormas · 11/06/2017 20:43

0hCrepe · 11/06/2017 20:44

I read somewhere she did want to resign but was advised not to.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.