Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

to consider moving to Birmingham

Elfina · 05/01/2014 13:40

from London? Is this bonkers? It would be to Moseley. Basically because for the price of our flat we could have a 4 bedroom detached. What would I miss about London??

OP's posts:
Please
or

nostress · 05/01/2014 14:57

Ive lived in brum for 20years and theres no way I'm moving! I love it. Everything you could possibly want on your doorstep. And perfectstorm re cheltenham are you talking about pates? Because camphill has beaten it in the a level league tables for years... I also could not believe how expensive taxis are in glos/chltenham area.

Please
or

HowAboutNo · 05/01/2014 15:00

What about the Worcestershire area? I've lived in both London and Worcestershire and much, much prefer the latter. Countryside and great towns.

Please
or
Please
or

HowAboutNo · 05/01/2014 15:03

I can also confirm the library is Worcester is fab - for kids and adults Grin

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 05/01/2014 15:04

And it has PS3s How. Grin

Please
or

HowAboutNo · 05/01/2014 15:06

Grin educational and fun

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 05/01/2014 15:09

So Elfina, a town on the railway line to Birmingham Uni, with a golden library open 7 days a week with PS3s. How about it?

Please
or

Bodypopper · 05/01/2014 15:15

Hi I am a brummie girl, born and bred in handsworth which you really can't beat for diversity.

Now live south of birmingham half way between brum and worcs.

Brum town is lovely and vibrant and worsestershire is beautiful.

Moseley is lovely.

My sis lives in London and I love to visit but would hate to live there, get very bored with the self important rushing about. Grin

People who slag off brum just either haven't lived here or else blindly follow stupid stereotypes.

Tararr a bit and orite.

Please
or

Bodypopper · 05/01/2014 15:21

chippednailvarnish much rather a brummie accent than a cockney but then I too am a snob. Grin

Please
or

MrsLatcher · 05/01/2014 15:25

I grew up in Moseley and has brilliant childhood there - great schools, parks and the MAC. When older was brilliant for going out and felt very safe as a teenager going out on my own at night - much more than London does for my daughters now. Think it is brilliant place to bring up a family - go for it!

Please
or

Bodypopper · 05/01/2014 15:28

sparkling you posh in Solihull you are! Grin

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 05/01/2014 15:29

I ay there now more Body. Sad

Please
or

Elfina · 05/01/2014 15:35

I'm from Sutton Coldfield, and wouldn't move back.

I think it would def be Moseley or king Heath as that's where our friends are, I guess part of the charm would be walking down to the village for a pint, or popping round to friends! I wouldn't move to Harborne or Bournville for those reasons!

Work-wise, trying to not out myself (though I probably have!) I'm a psychologist, so not location dependent.

Out interest, how much are nursery fees in the midlands?

OP's posts:
Please
or

divegirl77 · 05/01/2014 15:39

Depends is you can cope with the local's accents ;-)

Please
or

GoshAnneGorilla · 05/01/2014 15:40

I live on the outskirts of Birmingham and love it, YANBU.

Birmingham is a very underrated city, that's one of the things I love most about it.

Please
or

HermioneWeasley · 05/01/2014 15:44

If you don't have to be in London for your work I would move - much better quality of life for a family.

Can't comment on the area in Birmingham

Please
or

KentKate · 05/01/2014 15:46

I have friends who found that Halesowen gives exactly the right balance between naice, good buses, good schools and not as expensive as Harborne and Moseley.

Please
or

KentKate · 05/01/2014 15:47

Although not technically in Birmingham.

Please
or

Bodypopper · 05/01/2014 16:00

divegirl awwbabcommereandseewotumissinitsbostin.

Please
or

Toecheese · 05/01/2014 16:14

I wouldn't having lived in Birmingham. What about Bristol? Does it have to be a city?

Please
or

SuperStrength · 05/01/2014 16:43

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos We live in Bristol & I don't underestand the 'it's cheap' comment. I wish it was Smile
In Bristol you either spend a fortune on an expensive house with a tiny garden to live in a good catchment area or spend £10k per yer per child to send them to a very average private school
Brum compares very well when looked at from this perspective...hence an ongoing debate in our house.
Brummies are much friendlier than Bristolians IMO, though it does depend on where you live.
Bristol is better than Brum for our business though....the debate rages on on .....

Please
or

JennyOnAPlate · 05/01/2014 17:09

I've lived in south Birmingham for 15 years and have no plans too move. Love it here!

Please
or

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos · 05/01/2014 17:19

Super someone above me made the "It's cheap" comment (it very isn't!!): I said how unfriendly the Bristolians we had encountered were compared to Brummies ........ Grin.

Please
or

DoItTooJulia · 05/01/2014 17:24

Nurseries are around £35-£40 a day.

It's excellent seeing all the Brummie love!

Please
or

perfectstorm · 05/01/2014 17:56

Nostress, no, I'm not talking about Pates. I wouldn't send a child of mine to an exam factory (my child is only 5, but the intensive coaching you need to get a child in worries me - even if the school isn't intentionally pushy, parental attitudes will be likely to make it so, and what about the kids coached who are then failures at 10/11?). But Balcarras and Cleeve are brilliant comps, both rated Outstanding, Bourneside is also very good, and at primary level you're pretty much spoiled for choice - there are so many really brilliant primary schools all over town. There are wonderful state schools in this neck of the woods at all ages, even leaving the grammars aside.

Bristol is very, very cheap compared to Cambridge or Bath or London, so it all depends on what your frame of reference is, I think? But the schools I know of aren't great, no. A lot of Bristolians seem to send their kids to grammars in Gloucestershire, in fact.

But as the OP's DH has a job in a nice part of South Brum, and family there, and it ticks all the boxes too, it's a bit of a moot point really!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.