Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

to consider moving to Birmingham

Elfina · 05/01/2014 13:40

from London? Is this bonkers? It would be to Moseley. Basically because for the price of our flat we could have a 4 bedroom detached. What would I miss about London??

OP's posts:
Please
or

StripyPenguin · 05/01/2014 14:22

I'd move there at the drop of a hat :)

Please
or

Iamsparklyknickers · 05/01/2014 14:23

Birmingham is alright - definitely not London but where else is? Smile

London is easily reachable by the train if you need to get your fix, it's more than doable to spend a day there - early start, late home - and booking cleverly means keeping the costs down.

Do you know Birmingham well? Moseley is nice, but like anywhere you need to do your research. I find that Birmingham in particular, the nicer parts almost instantaneously turn into not so nice bits that if you're not familiar with the area could bite you on the arse. Edgbaston is a good example, have a look what it's like by the Botanical Gardens and then go have a look what it's like by Edgbaston reservoir.

Please
or

JJXM · 05/01/2014 14:23

The choice of schools at senior level is really good with several grammar schools for which you take one exam for the Consortium of Grammar Schools in Birmingham. Most of the King Edward schools regularly come high in the league tables.

Moseley is quite a nice area with a bohemian feel - lots of independent shops. Kings Heath is also nice but the high street is a nightmare traffic wise.

I would choose Birmingham over London but I hate crowded and busy places. Also, although rent is cheaper in Birmingham, this is really reflected in wages.

Please
or

Elfina · 05/01/2014 14:24

Why would I move to an area I've already lived in? Err, because I liked it?? And family and friends live there?? Am I missing something?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Chippednailvarnish · 05/01/2014 14:27

I would only consider it if you could guarantee that my children wouldn't have a Birmingham accent.

But then I'm a London snob Grin.

Please
or

Iamsparklyknickers · 05/01/2014 14:29

Sorry, was typing while you posted that you already know Brum well.

I think in your case then it's going to be more of a psychological task to accept the City as an adult. It would be a very different place through adult eyes.

I also think that sometimes people confuse places with a particular time in their life. I've no argument that London is exceptionally vibrant, but it's a different experience when you're in your 20's to when your settling down to kids. Relocating at that time can sometimes confuse people into thinking the problem is the place not where they are in their lives iyswim?

Financially it makes a lot of sense. I think I'd do it if my job allowed.

Please
or

Financeprincess · 05/01/2014 14:29

I bloody love Birmingham. I don't live there, but I visit it for work often. Really good outskirts, city centre looks much better now and the people are just lovely. So I say, move there!

Please
or

FrauMoose · 05/01/2014 14:31

I actually prefer Kings Heath. Parts of Moseley really fancy themselves, and the centre (Moseley village, I don't think so) mainly consists of overpriced restaurants and pubs. The gap between the rich and the not- so-privileged seems a bit uncomfortably wide there. (Which makes it quite London-ish in a way. However it's horses for courses.

Please
or

NoComet · 05/01/2014 14:31

YANBU
I have an old school friend who sold up his London house when they started thinking of DCs.

He's Welsh and an accountant so his choice of way better standard of living was a house by the sea in the nice bit of Swansea.

I have another DF who doesn't for a second regret swapping a big flat in Surrey for a lovely house in Malvern, lovely state primary, reasonably priced private secondary. Trains to London, M50-M5 to the rest of the country.

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 05/01/2014 14:32

I grew up a little bit further South but don't remember Moseley being great, I guess it has moved on from the 80s?

Please
or

StripyPenguin · 05/01/2014 14:33

A former colleague of mine had a house in London that they bought some 30 years ago, they sold it last year and moved to Birmingham and bought their own house plus three smaller houses to rent out....way to do it if you can!

Please
or

BackforGood · 05/01/2014 14:33

Of course YANBU - now, if anyone were thinking that the London option would be better, if there were a genuine choice, they would be daft, IMO.
Would it not make more sense to be on the Cross City line though if dh is going to be working at the University - Bournville, or Sutton Coldfield?

Please
or

Worriedthistimearound · 05/01/2014 14:34

Ha, chippednailvarnish, one of the reasons DH wanted to move out of Surrey was that he hated the thought if the kids picking up the local Home Counties accent. Mind you, he moved us to Cheshire where he soon discovered most people spoke exactly the same as they did in Surrey! Grin

Please
or

FanFuckingTastic · 05/01/2014 14:38

My daughter lives in the Solihull area and it's pretty nice there, she has picked up the accent in the nine months she's been there, but it's sweet, she sounds lovely.

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 05/01/2014 14:39

What's the Solihull accent like Fan? I don't remember that at all and I worked there. In fact I was born there. Grin

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 05/01/2014 14:39

Bournville would be brilliant for dp at the uni. Just hop on the train, or even walk there.

Please
or

willilearn · 05/01/2014 14:40

I've lived near Moseley, in Harborne, moved to London for 5 years, and then moved back to Moseley area recently.
What do I miss about London....the buzz, the cosmopolitan feel, the extra-ordinary choice of places to eat,
Places to shop, culture, things to do generally
However, Birmingham is fab...the people are lovely, the shopping is better than it was, there are decent restaurant choices on the Moseley side of the city and in the centre now. We have an awesome new library, the NIA, the Symphony Hall, the Town Hall, the Alex and the Hippodrome. House prices are excellent and transport to work costs are minimal.
Best of all, nowhere is more than about 30 minutes away.
Do it, you won't regret it!! Oh, and the train to London for shows and days out takes 1hr 25.....

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 05/01/2014 14:42

Birmingham Uni has it's own station so further South is okay commuting wise.

Please
or

ShoeWhore · 05/01/2014 14:43

Would you have enough employment opportunities in Birmingham OP? Not just a job for your dh now but alternatives if he wants to move on from that one? And opportunities for you too? How secure is that work scene?

We moved away from London on the strength of one job and have come a bit unstuck. The recession meant there were very few other places dh could work (there were lots when we first moved) We're now trying to move back and it's really hard.

Please
or

perfectstorm · 05/01/2014 14:44

Moseley wouldn't be my choice, but Harborne or Bournville are lovely, and with very good schools, and still crazy cheap compared to London prices. Bournville was built by the Cadbury family for their workers, and as Quakers they really cared about their quality of life, so it's very pretty with lots of green spaces. Harborne looks like a West Mids small town - Shropshire maybe - and has some nice local restaurants and a Waitrose. Both have massively popular and excellent primary schools. The only thing about Bournville is the catchment for the school is decidedly weird (or was, anyway - things may have changed) and some people almost next door are out of catchment, while others almost a mile away are in. It's not a circle around the school by distance, apparently, but specific housing areas. That may have changed, but if not, look into it - even if your kids aren't affected, house values may be.

We looked into moving there, but then DH was offered a job in the Cotswolds instead. It's worth pointing out that Cheltenham has even better schools and relatively low house prices, and is a nicer place to live - though less useful professionally, obviously. Bristol is a really lovely major city and cheap, too, with plenty of employment opportunities. I prefer it to Brum. But the schools are dodgier, IMO. Birmingham is good for education.

Please
or

DoItTooJulia · 05/01/2014 14:47

So you know Birmingham! What are you waiting for?

Please
or

perfectstorm · 05/01/2014 14:48

Sorry, I missed DH would be working at the uni - in that case, Harborne and Bournville are even better options, as so close to Selly Oak.

Another thing is that I think you're right if the loveliness of Brummies is influencing you - that's not nostalgia. I've never come across such consistently lovely, helpful people, and I was with a small baby using public transport when we were checking it out as a potential place to live. I can honestly say that I've not experienced that level of willingness to talk to strangers/go out of their way to help them anywhere else, before or since.

Please
or

FanFuckingTastic · 05/01/2014 14:49

You can tell she is from Birmingham, she pulls out some of her words. Bum is boom, and she has a slight lilt when she is talking. It's really lovely.

Please
or

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos · 05/01/2014 14:51

I'm not from a big city, but have lived in London, Bristol and Birmingham. Obviously, London is London (and I was glad to have a couple of years there after graduating) but we are bringing up our family in Birmingham. Bristol is very pretty, but (at least when we were there) the education system was rubbish and the people were the rudest amd least friendly I have ever encountered. Birmingham is great for links to most places, friendly and each area has a distinctive feel so, if you know Moseley and like it, why not?

Please
or

FrauMoose · 05/01/2014 14:54

With youngish children I'd want to pick somewhere not far from a library. (New Library of Birmingham very disappointing when considered as a place to encourage/promote reading, though the building itself has a definite wow factor.)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.