My feed

to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread


To ask you to help me work out if my benefits will change?

115 replies

ClementineKelandra · 17/04/2013 16:08

I know everything is changing and I'm really worried about what will happen to my benefits? I know there are probably things on line to help but I can never get my head around it.
I'm a single Mum and live in a coucil property. Every penny counts atm and I don't work.
Please can anybody help?

OP posts:
littlehelp · 17/04/2013 16:19

Go on google and search entiled to it will tell you everything that you are able to claim and how much
Very useful website and very user friendly

jacks365 · 17/04/2013 16:22

The only thing really changing is the benefits cap and that is unlikely to come into play unless you have over 3 children or your rent is excessive which in council property it shouldn't be.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS · 17/04/2013 16:23

Have you got a contact at the job centre who can advise you? It is pretty disgusting that people are left worrying about their benefits being changed without notice. You would hope that those who will be receiving less should have even notified of the same. It is pretty shit just to pull the rug with no warning. I hope you get definite info soon, OP. I can understand it must feel very worrying for you in these uncertain times.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS · 17/04/2013 16:24

The bedroom tax thing could be an issue depending on your circs plus something about needing to pay towards council tax.

ruledbyheart · 17/04/2013 16:27

Well it depends on how many dc and how many bedrooms your house has/how much your rent is that HB pay each month.

DorisIsWaiting · 17/04/2013 16:48

You will probably be expected to make a contribution to council tax as well now If you google your local authority they may be able to tell you how much that is likely to be.

Snowme · 17/04/2013 16:57

How may children do you have,
Do you work at all,
Which benefits do you have coming in,
How many bedrooms does your property have,
Do you live alone with just your child/children,
Do you have any savings.

Unfortunately you need to answer all these questions to get a useful response. PM me of you want :)

JollyJumpingJelly · 17/04/2013 17:48

Just wondering, is universal credit not happening anymore? (from the comments saying the only change is the benefit cap)

ClementineKelandra · 17/04/2013 18:23

I have 3 children, a 14yo dd, 11yo ds and a 4yo ds. My house is three bedrooms and its just me and my dc living here. The rent is just under £100.00 and I currently get full housing benefit. The house is in band A and I get full coucil tax benefit too.
I also get income support and child benefit.
I don't work at the moment but I'm doing voluntary work and in the middle of an OU degree. I'm hoping both these things will help me get work in the future.

OP posts:
wannabedomesticgoddess · 17/04/2013 18:29

The only thing I can see is that you will have to start paying some council tax.

Also, once your youngest turns 5 you will come off IS and be on JSA. But once UC comes in that will change again. You will be required to look for work which pays you 24 hours x NMW.

heliPilot · 17/04/2013 18:31

If you get less benefits you might have more incentive to get a job.

wannabedomesticgoddess · 17/04/2013 18:35

FFS helipilot. Give over.

Sick of this site being turned into a bashing opportunity when someone mentions benefits.

ClementineKelandra · 17/04/2013 18:35

I am looking for work btw, i started looking as soon as dh left. It seems I'm not very employable though as I never even get to interview stage. That's why I'm doing voluntary work.

OP posts:
ClementineKelandra · 17/04/2013 18:37

Helipiolet, You know nothing about me or my life.

OP posts:
wannabedomesticgoddess · 17/04/2013 18:39

OP are you claiming tax credits? It might seem obvious but I read a post on here a few weeks ago where someone hadnt realised they could claim TCs for ten years. You dont mention them so just checking that you know about them :)

heliPilot · 17/04/2013 18:39

I know im paying taxes to give out in befefits.

wannabedomesticgoddess · 17/04/2013 18:42


Do you use the NHS? State schools? The roads?

Most people are not net contributors. Its very unlikely that any of your taxes are paid out in benefits.

PeppaFuckingPig · 17/04/2013 18:44

helipilot - you're acting like a twat. Albeit, a tax paying twat.

ohshutup · 17/04/2013 18:48

oh here we go ,all the jeremy kylers sticking up for each other , heli is right if you get less benefits you would have to get a job , cant believe you get all that paid for by the tax payer ,your kids are a meal ticket , stop having kids , get a job and start paying something back in .

heliPilot · 17/04/2013 18:48

wannabedomesticgoddess where do you think the money comes from then. Please dont tell me you still beleive in money trees,
Yes I use NHS and pay for prescritions
No state schools
Yes Roads and pay road tax and fuel tax.
So yes I pay my way and other peoples too.

ClementineKelandra · 17/04/2013 18:50

Helipiolet, I worked and paid taxes for 25 years. I have only been on benefits for 6 months and I'm trying to find work.
MY taxes paid for you to have free health care, a free education for your children and many more things. I guess we're even.

Sorry, I do claim tax credits, I forgot to mention that

OP posts:
DontSHOUTTTTTT · 17/04/2013 18:52

I would post on MoneySavingExpert. There is a special section in the forums for benefits.

ClementineKelandra · 17/04/2013 18:53

OhShutUp, when I had children I didn't know my h would end up beating and raping me to the point where I became so depressed I ended up in a psychiatric hospital.

I'm out of here. Thanks for the advice.

OP posts:
zukiecat · 17/04/2013 18:53

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IneedAyoniNickname · 17/04/2013 18:54

It sounds like you'll be ok op. My friend and get dh are both unemployed, 3dc in a private let and their not affected by the benefit cap.

But check entitled to, or with the job centre if you're worried.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.