My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Asthma Medication

11 replies

essanel · 24/11/2009 12:51

Help! DS 3yrs was given a 5 day course of steroids following an attack at the weekend.... it is for 6 little tablets and am struggling to get him to take them... have tried giving him them straight with loadsa juice, dissovled them in fruit jucie but he is still gagging on the taste! Any suggestions gratefully received!

OP posts:
PixieOnaLeaf · 24/11/2009 13:02

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

suiledonne · 24/11/2009 13:05

Are they the little pink ones that dissolve in water?

My dd who is also 3 has had to take them fairly often. We dissolve in about 5 ml of water, suck it up with one of those medicine syringes and squirt it in with a juice on standby to wash it down.

essanel · 24/11/2009 13:05

I did try bribing with chocolate yesterday but never thought to try in between! I am waiting the nurse to call me back cos I have "wasted" a dose my dh took him yesterday and didn't question giving a 3 year old 6 tablets to take so will ask about the liquid form, thanks for the reply.... feel at the end of my tether today--- horrid weekend with him then trying to force these on him!

OP posts:
essanel · 24/11/2009 13:08

Hi suiledonne they are white tablets and took ages to dissolve - tried in a little bit of water / juice then tried loads to try and dilute them but still tastes vile!

OP posts:
suiledonne · 24/11/2009 13:10

The little pink ones are Prednisone. They fizz a bit and dissolve quickly. They seem to have a sweetish taste too.

at doctor giving yukky ones to a 3 year old.

essanel · 24/11/2009 13:20

these are Prednisone too but were not easy to dissolve wonder if chemist has given wrong ones?

OP posts:
suiledonne · 24/11/2009 13:36

It is worth ringing the pharmacy to find out.

essanel · 24/11/2009 14:20

Yeah! just spoke to the nurse and these are the "adult" version - same dosage but not dissolvable... on my way to get new prescription now! So glad i was beginning to have visions of when I worm the cats of crushing the tablets into some tuna! Thanks for the replies ladies!

OP posts:
PixieOnaLeaf · 24/11/2009 14:57

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

essanel · 24/11/2009 16:54

Got the pink ones and gone in 60 seconds excellent!

OP posts:
suiledonne · 24/11/2009 17:21

Well done. The steroids are very effective so it's good you got a dose into him.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.