Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AVCs

merrymarch · 15/08/2022 13:44

Struggling to get my head around AVCs or whether it'd be better upping my contributions to my Teacher's Pension.

Does anyone know if there are Financial Advisors who are specifically knowledgeable about academic pensions?

OP's posts:
Please
or

parietal · 15/08/2022 21:23

Not sure, but I believe it is almost always better to do the AVCs. For all its general crappiness, the USS pension scheme is still a lot better than a SIPP or most other options.

Please
or

MedSchoolRat · 16/08/2022 17:34

Ask USS / payroll people at your institution if there is advice available. I'm always getting invites to USS seminars (am coming up to start of retirement years).

Decades ago when Prudential managed USS I had a free advisor. He told me not to do AVCs then, actually: I was pregnant & he said I'd most likely need the money for other things. Was decent advice.

Please
or

merrymarch · 16/08/2022 19:07

I think it's the TPS not USS I'm enrolled on and it's murder trying to find a real life person to speak with, even at the end of the phone. The TPS site merely links to the Pru website for further info.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?