Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Accountability buddy

roratone · 06/08/2022 19:32

I've just returned to my PhD after a years intercalation. I don't live close to my Uni, so writing from home.
Would anyone be interested in forming a writing accountability group? I don't know how this would work in practice to be honest. What I've learnt is that the temptation to do anything by my PhD gets too much in the winter months. I then set myself unachievable goals for my next supervision and then get in a tizz trying to achieve them.

Any thoughts?

OP's posts:
Please
or

KStockHERO · 11/08/2022 16:11

Hi OP

That's a great idea. My Department has one of these which a lot of PhD students use and it seems really effective.

It might be worth you asking other PhD students if they'd be up for this. Maybe you could get your PGR administrator to send an email around to the PhD cohort. You'd only need two or three takers to make it work. You could meet virtually so it wouldn't be an issue that you're away from the university.

I think it'd work best to be in an accountability group with other PhDs given you're writing in the same format, for same audience and on similar timescales. I really hope you're able to find people to join you.

Please
or

SuperLoudPoppingAction · 14/08/2022 22:27

I'm working on a PhD and would be interested.
I always find it ends up on the bottom of the heap under marking, writing other stuff, conferences, supervision etc.

Please
or

JenniferBarkley · 15/08/2022 11:00

I would be interested. I'm doing a PhD parttime with a full teaching load and two small children. I'm struggling to get it off the ground in truth, never mind get momentum.

I have two hours now - I'm going to figure out that last thing in my model and start fitting it to my data so I have something to show my supervisor on Wednesday.

Please
or

SuperLoudPoppingAction · 15/08/2022 19:30

How did you get on today?
I wrote another supplementary document for my ethics application and asked friends to check it.
I'm now finally able to submit ethics so will try and do that this evening.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?