My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Chat

Holiday with kids in Brittany? So many villages / seaside towns, can't decide..

22 replies

lesoignons · 14/06/2023 20:14

We're planning to take the kids (9+10y) to Brittany for a week during the summer (sooo late booking anything, but there do seem to be plenty of places available thankfully..).

We've been as a couple to Saint Malo, MANY years ago, but apart from there, we don't really know much about the rest of the coastline and there are just so many places, i'm starting to go around in circles trying to select a good base. We're planning to take the ferry to Caen, so would need to be within 2-3 hrs drive max ideally.

We'd like to be in a small or medium town, near to lovely beaches and have eating out options, but will also self cater and just use supermarkets a bit (French cheese / bread anyone..) for bigger evening meals, and focus more on eating out for lunch (or take a packed lunch).

Please help with your top tips / experiences🤗

OP posts:
BBCK · 14/06/2023 20:40

Dinan is about 20 minutes to St Malo. St Brieuc is a bit further west and near some good beaches. You will pay more to be nearer Dinard, St Malo and other great beaches

FannyFanackerpan · 14/06/2023 20:43

We stayed in St Cast Le Guildo which was lovely.

Vickythevan63 · 14/06/2023 21:19

We have had quite a few holidays in the Sarzeau area, south Brittany, on southern edge of the Gulf de Morbihan. just over 3hr drive from Caen.

Beautiful beaches, boat trips etc on the gulf itself, lots of nice harbours, fabulous seafood, plus Vannes is a lovely town on north side of the Gulf.

I can’t help with accommodation as we have our own caravan, but mine were 7 and 9 when we first went and it became a favourite place for us as they went through late primary and secondary years.

MyCatIsAFuckwit · 14/06/2023 22:23

Carnac and the surrounding area is beautiful 😍

halfgirlhalfturnip · 14/06/2023 22:29

what about La Baule and Guérande area - beautiful beaches and lots to do in the area!

lesoignons · 14/06/2023 22:58

Amazing tips, haven’t looked at a lot of these places, so adding to the list to check tomorrow :)

OP posts:
Galadali · 14/06/2023 23:16

Golfe de Morbihan and Carnac area are beautiful!

caringcarer · 14/06/2023 23:29

Morlaix is beautiful. It is a market town with a large aqueduct you can walk over and a very pretty port to walk around. There are medieval houses to visit. There are lots of pavement cafes and good restaurants. Morlaix has a good tourist information office that has bike hire including the little chariots adults can pull with their cycle. The National Forest with cycle trails and picnic spots is about 2km away. The sandy beach is 20 mins away and there is a diving platform on the beach for use when the tide is in. There is also mini golf, petanque and a swimming pool complex 10 mins away along with lovely little play parks.

LightlySearedontheRealityGrill · 14/06/2023 23:32

Fouesnant and Beg Meil are my favourites, beautiful beaches.

caringcarer · 14/06/2023 23:37

The beaches aren't too crowded either. About 2 hours from Caen.

caringcarer · 14/06/2023 23:50

en.plages.tv/seaside-resorts/carantec-29660.

These beaches are all lovely and one has a first aid station and children's beach club which entertains them with races and sand castle competitions.

Bristoluser · 15/06/2023 00:23

Ploumanac'h is lovely

Whataretalkingabout · 15/06/2023 02:34

St Gildas de Rhuys near Sarzeau is lovely. Beaches on both the ocean side and Gulf de Morbihan side when it's too windy on the ocean. Sailing lessons for the children, biking all over , very practical to get around . Spent summers there for years. Adult children love to go go back.

tobee · 15/06/2023 02:40

La Baule and Le Pouliguen
Roscoff

Lovely to visit with kids.

tobee · 15/06/2023 02:40

Oh and Le Val Andre

Labradoria · 15/06/2023 05:03

Moelan sur Mer and the area around it was our favourite.

lesoignons · 15/06/2023 07:21

Oh mon dieu🇫🇷🥖😁

Thank you all so much!

All of the places recommended look absolutely gorgeous. I wasn’t aware how beautiful the south of Brittany is, some of these areas look absolutely stunning.

Think I am going to need a little longer to decide now…

OP posts:
hellswelshy · 15/06/2023 07:36

Following & taking notes as this is the area I'd like to visit next year but I've no idea where to start! 😊

lesoignons · 15/06/2023 07:45

hellswelshy · 15/06/2023 07:36

Following & taking notes as this is the area I'd like to visit next year but I've no idea where to start! 😊

💗

I have a feeling we will be going back again and again😁

OP posts:
Almahart · 15/06/2023 07:46

Honestly I don't really think you can go wrong!

Labradoria · 15/06/2023 08:31

Pont Aven/riec sur belon.

Tahiti plage

Tregunc

All lovely

lesoignons · 15/06/2023 20:34

So many great suggestions - I've been lost in Google maps checking all these locations out. Who knew that south Brittany was so stunning? I am really exited for our trip now - but I still need to decide on a base location!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.