Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The strangest thing someone said to you that sticks in your mind

JamesBondOO7 · 23/09/2022 09:01

Over 35 years ago a workmate of mine a bloke asked me why I was off the day before and I told him I went to a funeral of a relative.

As we talked he said his brother had died when they were both in their early 30's and then blurted out "I did not go to his funeral." (They both lived locally to the other) I asked him why not. He said, "he was dead he (his brother) would not of known.."

The guy was not joking and it has stuck in my mind since - the bloke was a good workmate we had laughs/chats but that made me feel uneasy and funny about him

OP's posts:
Please
or

MargaretThursday · 23/09/2022 09:11

Sounds like the chap in your story was struggling with grief when his brother died, and probably afterwards felt guilty. Wouldn't make me uneasy.

Strangest thing anyone has said to me is probably one time when I went to pay by card.
"Does this card belong to you?"
I nearly said, "no I took it from the old man at the corner" before I realised they were serious. So I said it was mine, and they let me pay and leave.
Odd because if it had been stolen, then I'm not going to admit to it, am I, and if they thought it had, why did they let me use it?

Please
or

ShirtingForkBalls · 23/09/2022 09:15

"Your boobs aren't big, its just extra skin!"

Said to me by my very skinny friend with tiny boobs. Who the fuck says that?! 🤷🏻‍♀️🙈

Please
or

pantsofshame · 23/09/2022 09:21

I took baby DC1 out for a walk in her buggy one day and middle aged woman approached us, looking like she wanted to chat. I stopped, assuming she either wanted directions or to look at baby but instead she shouted aggressively 'are you on benefits!?' When I said no she huffed and went on her way. I have seen her around many times since and haven't seen anything to suggest that she is mentally ill, unpleasant etc. I often wonder why she asked, why she seemed to feel so strongly about this and what she would have said if I answered yes.

Please
or

noomchikka · 23/09/2022 09:26

I visited my elderly aunt in hospital with my cousins when I was in my 20s.

She had a visitor who maybe in her sixties. My cousins and I introduced ourselves and she said to me "oh, I like your teeth"

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

My teeth are very ordinary, not bright white, they're straight I guess but not cosmetic dentistry straight.

I still have no idea why she said it.

Please
or

noomchikka · 23/09/2022 09:28

pantsofshame · 23/09/2022 09:21

I took baby DC1 out for a walk in her buggy one day and middle aged woman approached us, looking like she wanted to chat. I stopped, assuming she either wanted directions or to look at baby but instead she shouted aggressively 'are you on benefits!?' When I said no she huffed and went on her way. I have seen her around many times since and haven't seen anything to suggest that she is mentally ill, unpleasant etc. I often wonder why she asked, why she seemed to feel so strongly about this and what she would have said if I answered yes.

That's crazy!

Mind you I seemed to attract a lot of nutters as a first time parent too, I think we're a nice target when we're clearly vulnerable new parents.

I remember my DC first Christmas she must have been about 4 months and I was pushing her around sainsburys, sprinted back to get something and a lady stopped me to tell me I was 'driving that buggy like a rally car'. Ok, hun.

Nobody gave me any shit when I was wrangling two 😆

Please
or

YogaLite · 23/09/2022 09:33

A "friend" I met through my ds disability group (severe and life limiting) said to me: I am glad your ds is disabled or we would have never met.
I was dumbstruck and friends no more.

Did I overreact?

Please
or

itrytomakemyway · 23/09/2022 09:39

When my quirky niece and her equally quirky, laid back and perfectly matched husband got married my friend's husband, after spending 10 minutes in their company said - "I would buy a ticket to watch those two when they have a row - there will be fireworks".

What an utterly bizarre thing to say about two people you know nothing about. As it happens niece has now been happily married for nearly 10 years. Both remain laid back and very content with each other. I see no evidence of the predicted stormy relationship.

Please
or

Mooovingonout · 23/09/2022 09:39

Walking to school one morning with 3 of my 4 children and dd stopped to say hello to a passing dog, the owner asked if I knew who the fathers of my children were.

Please
or

Bicthebiro · 23/09/2022 09:45

I remember a colleague once telling me that I was the least maternal person they knew. After I had accidentally mentioned about stopping the pill. Ten years and two kids later, I think they were probably right!

Please
or

HappyPeach · 23/09/2022 09:47

On coming home after work (my first real job just before I moved out) I told my mum how fantastic it was and what a great time I was having. She said 'It's not like that in the real world'. Ffs, what world did she think I was living in? I moved out 2 weeks later.

Please
or

VenusClapTrap · 23/09/2022 09:47

At my wedding, my cousin said to me “You look beautiful. I wish you were my girlfriend”. Weirdo.

Please
or

TwoLeftSocksWithHoles · 23/09/2022 09:47

ShirtingForkBalls · 23/09/2022 09:15

"Your boobs aren't big, its just extra skin!"

Said to me by my very skinny friend with tiny boobs. Who the fuck says that?! 🤷🏻‍♀️🙈

I think it was one Prince Andrew's chatup lines. He's so smooth, that one.

Please
or

IScreamAtMichaelangelos · 23/09/2022 09:48

Walking to school one morning with 3 of my 4 children and dd stopped to say hello to a passing dog, the owner asked if I knew who the fathers of my children were.

For this and the one above about benefits: I think people like to presume the worst (or what they consider to be the worst) of women and give them a good kicking if they can. Sadly it is often other women doing this. As has been said, new mums or mums of small children are often considered to be excellent targets.

Please
or

sanityisamyth · 23/09/2022 09:48

Then husband's boss on hearing about me expecting our first child said,

"So, you've had sex then?!"

A simple congratulations would have done ...

Please
or

inheritanceshiteagain · 23/09/2022 09:49

fuck! 😳

Please
or

shipwreckedonhighseas · 23/09/2022 09:53

A guest to another guest at the wedding of a farmer, directly after the ceremony while still in the church:

"He came in here with a farm and he's leaving with half a farm."

Please
or

Tomselleckhaskindeyes · 23/09/2022 10:01

Somebody came up to me and told me i had an old fashioned face. 😂

Please
or

ChilliBandit · 23/09/2022 10:04

@ShirtingForkBalls - I had a variation of that said to me too but in a bar by a random woman! Can confirm regardless of weight they are the same size.

I once had a man stop his car to yell very seriously at me “go home you fucking druggie”. It was 7.30am and I was dressed for the office and had a long black wool coat on and a classic commuting rucksack. He was in a suit presumably also commuting, so odd.

One I witnessed was a woman of East Asian heritage run up to a man also of East Asian heritage and blurt out “are you Japanese?!” He bewilderedly said “no, Korean” and the woman huffed and ran off. It was years ago and to this day I wonder what that was about.

Please
or

Myotherdogsaballboy · 23/09/2022 10:10

At primary school a boy in my year who I wasn't friends with just randomly told me "I'll get you when I grow up". No idea why, how he was planning on getting me but he said it in rather a menacing way. I'm 61 and he's not got me yet. I remember his name still and I've a hopeless long term memory but I've never forgotten this.

Please
or

JeanMarie · 23/09/2022 10:13

It wasn't said to me but within earshot. It was at my mum's funeral. One of her closest friends couldn't come as she was poorly but her daughter came instead to pay her respects. My aunt (mums sister) said to her... "Such a shame your mum couldn't come....at least you'll be able to tell her about it..that will cheer her up".

Please
or

Flyingf1edgelings · 23/09/2022 10:22

I was 14 coming home from school in uniform and this late 20s early 30s year old man walked past me whistled at me and said 4 years and your mine 😟 creep. I know who he is now and he married.

Please
or

ToffeeNotCoffee · 23/09/2022 10:25

To be honest with you love, I'd rather have the money.

Said to me by a random bloke who arrived at his smart house in his posh car with his wife just as I was leaving after delivering a free telephone directory. So, that dates it. (Thompson Local, anyone remember that/them ?)

The house itself was, um, unique (pre-dated anything Kevin McCloud could have dreamed up !) in a neighbourhood of other normal, very expensive houses. It was just one of many houses on my round that I was delivering telephone directories to on a casual cash in hand basis.

Please
or

MaMisled · 23/09/2022 10:41

Two young men greeted each other in the street with a hug. One said, "Hey! Its been too long!" "Yeah, " said the other, " my Dad died last month" This was met with "oh, not cool bro. Do you wanna come to my gig tonight?" Young and awkward im sure!

Please
or

SpaceJamtart · 23/09/2022 10:49

A man in the middle of the park who came to look in my pushchair, he saw my twins and physically jumped back and said 'ohh creepy little shits aren't they, jeeeez' then walked off shaking his head.
Such a weird and rude thing to say- it was quite obviously a double pushchair as well so what was he expecting?

Please
or

AnotherAnxiousMess · 23/09/2022 10:52

When returning to work after having a baby, a colleague asked me what sex was like after having a baby and if my vagina was massive now. We were friends, but wouldn’t share things that personal! Shocked at the time and wish I had reported it now.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?