Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Middlesbrough

Ourbabs · 28/08/2022 09:04

Is TS5 in Middlesbrough a nice area? I believe they are building a lot of new builds there. Is it better than TS3?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Meceme · 28/08/2022 09:37

TS3 includes Park End, Thorntree, North Ormesby and Pallister Park. It is a historically disadvantaged area and some parts can be quite rough. Unemployment rate 16 %.
TS5 includes Acklam, Linthorpe, Whinney Banks and stretches to Albert Park near the University. It was historically more affluent than Ts3 and therefore a better area. Unemployment rate here 8%. However, like all districts, there are rundown and less desirable areas. You need to look more closely at the location of the property you are interested in.

Please
or

Brogues · 28/08/2022 09:38

Parts of TS5 are better than TS3 and other parts are about the same.

Please
or

Ourbabs · 28/08/2022 09:45

Looking at a new build Acklam gardens TS5 if that helps

OP's posts:
Please
or

FourTeaFallOut · 28/08/2022 11:14

It says Acklam Gardens but actually it falls in Whinney Banks and, honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. Do you need a new build?

If you aren't familiar with the area you can use this mapping tool to look at comparative indices of deprivation. It'll give you an idea of how much it can vary in a fairly tight space and where you might want to skip.

www.gov.uk/guidance/english-indices-of-deprivation-2019-mapping-resources

It's based on data from 2019 but I think it still holds generally.

Please
or

Ourbabs · 28/08/2022 11:51

Is whinney Banks rough then? We looked at college gardens TS3 but didn’t go to the TS5 area to look at the new builds, we are from Bristol.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Meceme · 28/08/2022 12:00

I wouldn't recommend College Gardens, not a great area.

Please
or

FourTeaFallOut · 28/08/2022 12:10

Are you looking to live in this home or are you looking for a buy to let? If you have the deposit for a home, I wouldn't be paying a premium to live in a new build in any of these places.

Please
or

Ourbabs · 28/08/2022 12:15

looking for my new home. Cash buyer. I found the people in Middlesbrough very friendly

OP's posts:
Please
or

FourTeaFallOut · 28/08/2022 12:24

I don't know what you want me to say. Of course most people in Middlesbrough are friendly. Most people in most places are friendly. But some places have higher levels of crime than others. Some places are better well kept than others.

Please
or

LionessesRules · 28/08/2022 12:29

Can you afford to move here and rent close to your prefered area? Neither of those places (as in eithercset of new builds) would be top of my list to look at, but I might have different priorities to you.

Boro can be great. Boro has more than it's fair share of deprivation, and the 2 often switch quickly between them. You really need to know the area.

Please
or

ABoynamedsue2022 · 28/08/2022 13:22

I Wouldn’t live in ts3, the further up the postcode number the nicer the area. Do you have a budget?
your better off looking at nunthorpe, marton areas rather than whinney banks, park end etc.

Please
or

Brogues · 28/08/2022 16:29

There are some other new builds further up the road towards Ormesby that look nice and well cared for but I wouldn’t buy off plan in either of the new build areas you mentioned due to their proximity to really quite deprived wards. The Acklam one has used the name Acklam to make it sound posher than it is. No one local would class that as Acklam.

What’s your price range, no of bedrooms required, schools? Does it have to be a new build because there are newish builds in the local area that are a bit more established so you will know better what the area will be like.

The higher postcode trick doesn’t work though. There is no logic to them at all. Hartlepool I think had the highest postcode and Yarm is lower than Ingleby Barwick.

Please
or

QforCucumber · 28/08/2022 16:31

Neither of those - if you need a new build try the persimmon or Taylor wimpey ones in hemlington or persimmon ladgate lane developments.

I grew up literally on the next street to Acklam gardens, it is not a nice area to live.

Please
or

Namechange192727171 · 28/08/2022 16:36

Hi OP i live in Middlesbrough (Marton) Nunthorpe is also nice.

Like most places there are good and bad, I'd avoid Whinney Banks like the plauge especially if you have children etc.

What's your budget?

Please
or

ArticSaviour · 28/08/2022 16:39

Agree with those saying avoid. I used to work in Whinney Banks. Not good.

The further out of town you are the better.

Please
or

PomBearWithoutHerOFRS · 28/08/2022 17:08

Middlesbrough is a shit hole!
The smaller towns and villages round about are much nicer - try Ripon, Thirsk, Helmsley, down into North Yorkshire.
Wynyard is "posh" in an identikit newish build "Brookside estate" way.
Or North a bit are Wolviston, Castle Eden, Hart village.
you really don't want to move actually into Middlesbrough, Thornaby, or Stockton, or Hartlepool (unless you go to West Park)

Please
or

Brogues · 28/08/2022 17:12

ODFOD if OP is looking in those areas she can’t afford Wynyard, what a ridiculous post.

Please
or

Ourbabs · 28/08/2022 17:28

price range 170k max, children are grown up, we are grandparents, want 3 bedrooms, hubby works from home, we looked at college gardens new build but we wasn’t to sure about it and didn’t like the big high rise flats in our view

OP's posts:
Please
or

Namechange192727171 · 28/08/2022 17:36

Middlesbrough is a shit hole!

Er, thanks a lot

Please
or

FourTeaFallOut · 28/08/2022 17:44

Here's a home which is practically a new build, 3 beds, near Acklam - so long as you could knock off £5k.

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125037713

Please
or

Brogues · 28/08/2022 17:46

I’m sure the flats are getting demolished hence the new houses however you can buy a good 3 bed semi easily in much nicer/established areas locally for that price.

Please
or
Please
or

ABoynamedsue2022 · 28/08/2022 17:54

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125958602#/?channel=RES_BUY

this needs work doing but is under your budget and the avenue in nunthorpe is a really nice road/area

Please
or

QforCucumber · 28/08/2022 17:56

This is a much nicer area, far enough out to avoid issues - close enough to the town to get to the centre with 1 bus and a £6 taxi journey

Middlesbrough
Please
or

FourTeaFallOut · 28/08/2022 17:56

The one in Nunthorpe is under auction. I suspect it'll go for more.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?