My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Roller skates or roller blades for 5 yr old?

4 replies

Rattysparklebum · 05/07/2022 19:09

it’s DGD’s 5th birthday coming up and her friend has some roller skates so of course she wants some too, which are easier for a first timer, skates or blades?

OP posts:
FunnyTalks · 05/07/2022 19:13

Went with skates but few years later blades made such a positive difference. I think I'll go for blades straight away for the next kid. The main thing is get good quality with decent wheels and bearings so they actually go. Decathlon has multi size ones which expand as their feet grow.

FunnyTalks · 05/07/2022 19:15

I know it's a gift but if you live near decathlon or a skate shop it might be worth trying out both types first.

BringOnSummerHolidays · 05/07/2022 19:19

Definitely blades if your local roller rink allows blades. (Mine doesn’t because apparently people go too fast on blades). Roller skates has no support on the heel so it’s easier to fall backwards when you put your weight on the back. I find it much more stable on the blades. I think there is a perception you can stand up easier on roller skates because the wheels are in a quad formation? But that is simply not true. You can stand still pretty much the same on both.

Rattysparklebum · 05/07/2022 20:10

That’s a good idea @FunnyTalks, I think a trip to Decathlon might be the answer.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.