Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

IKEA kura ok for 8 year old?

Ntsure · 15/05/2022 00:37

My DS is insisting that he wants this bed.
he needs a new bed (moving rooms and his old one is broken and rubbish) and he’s had so many meltdowns over getting rid of his old bed but after going to ikea he saw this bed and decided he wants it and won’t budge on this being the bed he wants.
my concern is I don’t know how suitable it would be for his age/how sturdy it is. He’s autistic and has adhd so the bed would probably have to withstand quite a bit

OP's posts:
Please
or

Owwlie · 15/05/2022 00:41

My 5 year old has it. I’d say it’s fine, it’s survived her and her 2 year old sister bouncing and climbing all over it for a year anyway. Are you planning on using it low or in the high position? It’s not very high to risk falling off. I think it’s probably better in the high position as otherwise it takes up a lot of room. At least high it means you can use underneath for storage.

Please
or

Owwlie · 15/05/2022 00:43

DD has it in the low position, by the way but in the high position I think it would be equally fine. The only thing with IKEA beds is that you need IKEA’s mattress and bedsheets as they are slightly bigger than a standard single.

Please
or

Dinosauratemydaffodils · 15/05/2022 01:14

My 7 year old has one. It's had at least 3 children on it at the same time. Plus it's the only bed we've tried so far ds hasn't been able to fall out of (he has it in the high position).

Please
or

Ntsure · 15/05/2022 10:03

oh phew because I don’t think I’d be able to persuade him to pick another one!
does anyone with older kids know if they can still sit underneath it? He shares with his brother so I was thinking I could put one of those little tents around the bottom so he could sit under there away from his brother when he’s overwhelmed etc but I’m not sure if the space is too small underneath for him to fit

OP's posts:
Please
or

Brogues · 15/05/2022 11:41

we got one during lockdown for my now 8 year old from FB marketplace. Bought a standard euro mattress and fitted sheet from Amazon and it’s perfect! He regularly turns the bottom into a den by tucking blankets in and we put some battery operated fairy lights in to make it cosy.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.