Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Modibodi period pants- washing them

Alakazam8 · 22/01/2022 11:05

Got dd some 24 hour period pants and she wore them for the first time overnight.
Cold Rinsed them and put on a daily quick cold wash (no detergent as didn’t have any without fabric conditioner this morning and they’ve still got small stains on outside. What have I done wrong or not done please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Akire · 22/01/2022 11:07

Sounds like without washing powder they haven't got clean. Most stains will not come out with just water and you need soap to get stains out, blood especially.

Please
or

Salaro · 22/01/2022 11:08

You haven't used a cleaner. Water alone won't get the stains out.

Please
or

JulieGoods · 22/01/2022 11:10

Yeah you need some Bio detergent.

I cold rinse mine. Then rinse quickly in cold water with a little Ace laundry bleach.

Then wash on 30 with bio detergent.

Had them ages. Still good as new.

Please
or

Alakazam8 · 22/01/2022 11:10

Thanks will get some powder later and give them another go. Is it normal for them to stain on outside?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Alakazam8 · 22/01/2022 11:11

Dd can’t use bio detergent. Would non bio be ok?

OP's posts:
Please
or

reluctantbrit · 22/01/2022 11:15

We use non bio but I only have stains if DD had a really heavy day at school. I normally then use a bit of the liquid washing detergent and rub it in and wait for a bit.

I also stopped washing on a quick wash. I find that a full wash is a lot more effective, they smell cleaner as well.

Please
or

Alakazam8 · 22/01/2022 11:20

Great thanks- do you still wash on cold. It seems a bit wasteful to put a full wash on for 2 pairs of pants, or 1 in this case while we are trying them.

OP's posts:
Please
or

itwasntaparty · 22/01/2022 11:27

You need powder and put them on a full wash.

Please
or

TheSandgroper · 22/01/2022 12:08

You know bicarb works on blood? Or salt. Or even carbonate of soda (ie washing soda). A spoon in a small bucket. Soak for a bit, swish and rinse in clean water. Job done and as cheap as chips.

Please
or

Theunamedcat · 22/01/2022 12:10

Are you washing them separately to everything else?

Please
or

TheSandgroper · 22/01/2022 12:10

Animal products aka protein needs cold water. This includes any blood and meat juices from the roast. Fat comes afterwards with hot water.

Please
or

reluctantbrit · 22/01/2022 12:13

Yes, cold wash.

It sounds wasteful but DD and I both have them and I normally rinse and keep them until the end of the day and then have 2-5 pairs (we overlapp by 2-3 days) each time. I go through 3 pairs on my heavy days so it's worse it.

Please
or

Alakazam8 · 22/01/2022 12:46

Yes washing them separately to everything else. I was a bit disappointed that they stained as they are 24 hour ones and dd only had them on for about 12….

OP's posts:
Please
or

Thethingswedoforlove · 22/01/2022 12:54

I don’t ever cold rinse and they always wash just fine On full wash with detergent

Please
or

SilverGlassHare · 22/01/2022 12:59

I’d cold rinse but no way would I wash one pair of pants on their own! Cold rinse then stick them in a normal darks wash, with detergent, surely? A quick cold wash without detergent isn’t going to get rid of bloodstains.

Please
or

Ihaveoflate · 22/01/2022 13:00

I hand rinse them in the sink until the water runs clear and bung them in a net bag until I have a few pairs to wash. Then I wash them with a normal load of clothes with bio powder at 40.

Please
or

Lou573 · 22/01/2022 13:12

@Ihaveoflate same - we keep a little wet bag hanging in the bathroom which they go in after a rinse, then thrown in a normal dark wash.

Please
or

Alakazam8 · 22/01/2022 13:27

Ok that’s reassuring- will put them in a dark wash when I’ve got the right powder. That’s great advice thanks. Only got 3 pairs at first as I wasn’t sure if dd would like them so washing them is important!

OP's posts:
Please
or

germsandcoffee · 22/01/2022 13:54

Cold rinse the stick on a full wash with the rest of the dark washing

Please
or

JulieGoods · 22/01/2022 18:16

I don't wash mine on their own wash.

I rinse cold in the sink until the water comes off totally clear.

Then rinse cold with some ace bleach (it 'fizzes' where the blood is so I know it's clearing it) then rinse well and they go in the next 30 wash of clothes/school uniform.

Please
or

BeBesideTheSea · 22/01/2022 18:21

You need to rinse them until the water runs completely clear - it takes much longer than you think!

If the blood has come through to the outside she has worn them too long. 24 hours is only a guideline - it depends on volume (and other things like consistency and whether slow and steady or floods). I made exactly the same mistake at first too!

Please
or

Alakazam8 · 22/01/2022 18:57

Ok I didn’t know that. However within 2 hours this morning they had come through a little bit although it is dd’s heaviest day. Didn’t think they would. Thanks for all the tips re washing- does Ace bleach damage them at all?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Yumperwumpee · 22/01/2022 19:00

I dont even bother cold rinsing tbh, just bung them in the wash with everything else. They're still going strong!

Please
or

blyn72 · 22/01/2022 19:02

Keep a Vanish stick in the bathroom for her to rub the stains.

Please
or

Ihaveoflate · 22/01/2022 19:46

This is why I only have black ones!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.