marymoocow · 22/11/2007 22:22
just received this in an email, and had to post it here
A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either
masculine or feminine.
"House" for instance, is feminine: "la casa."
"Pencil," however, is masculine: "el lapiz."
A student asked, "What gender is 'computer'?"
Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide
for themselves whether "computer" should be a masculine or a feminine noun.
Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.
The men's group decided that "computer" should definitely be of the feminine gender ("la computadora"),because:
- No one but their creator understands their internal logic;
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.
( THIS GETS BETTER!)
The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine ("el computador"),because:
- In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;
2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;
3 They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.
The women won ! ! !
To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.