Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The ultimate picnic blanket - recommendations needed please

KenAdams · 31/03/2021 10:32

I'm after a picnic blanket that is large, so three of us can actually sit on it comfortably, has a waterproof back and that the top of doesn't pick up grass, mud, sand etc.

I had a fleece one which was terrible and held any material that got within a mile of it and I could never properly get out again.

Has anyone discovered the holy grail of picnic blankets that can point me towards it please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Vickles20 · 31/03/2021 10:47

I don’t own it. But I covet it. After a lot of research online. I like the deckchair pattern one

rubbastuff.com/collections/family?page=1

Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 31/03/2021 10:52

I wanted one that stayed clean, could be washed, and folded up enough that it wasn't bigger than the picnic basket! One like this (I looked for the largest one I could find for you) has been perfect functionally. Its not the most beautiful thing, but is small enough to actually carry round easily and doesn't smell either

Please
or

Easterbunnyishoppingmad · 31/03/2021 10:54

We have 2 from GoOutdoors. Fiver each. Roll up and have a handle!!

Please
or

KenAdams · 31/03/2021 10:56

@CMOTDibbler how thick is that please? We spend lots of time in forests etc so it needs to be thick enough to sit on the floor there.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 31/03/2021 11:00

Its not thick, but is robust. I think if I wanted cushioning, I'd rather roll up a fleece blanket and put that over the waterproof layer than have it all in one

Please
or

LadyofMisrule · 31/03/2021 16:28

Not a single picnic blanket - I use a shower curtain as a waterproof layer, and a big tablecloth on top. I can then wash /wipe them separately as needed.

Please
or

ChocOrange1 · 31/03/2021 16:36

I've heard good things about close pop in playmats. Waterproof and go in the washing machine. Not sure on the size though.

Please
or

IloveJudgeJudy · 31/03/2021 22:18

We always had these type of picnic blankets. They're definitely waterproof. We've used them as umbrellas on occasion!

The ultimate picnic blanket - recommendations needed please
Please
or

Nacreous · 31/03/2021 22:31

This isn't the actual one I bought, mine is bigger but this is the best design:

www.cherryz.com/product/large-picnic-blanket-red-pattern/

You might need to look out a bigger version

The way it zips means that you can fold it up without having to turn it over so the clean side is on the ground. The inside is flat not textured so can just be brushed off - crumbs don't stick to it. And ours has a carry handle and pocket which can fit a thermos or whatever into it.

I can't remember who made ours and it lives in the car but I can go out and look in the morning if useful.

Please
or
Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 31/03/2021 22:38

We use a big plastic table cloth. We all have individual foldable seat pads so comfort isn't an issue.

If I just go to the local park for a picnic it's only ever in guaranteed heat/sun so I just take a massive fleece blanket which I can machine wash.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.