My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Crowns...help

5 replies

OnDisplay · 20/10/2020 17:18

Not the royal kind. The boring, expensive tooth kind. In the middle of root canal on a molar. I know I'll need a crown once it is finished but I know nothing about crowns. What kind is best/what choice is there.

I know I want a white one but that is about it.

I have my dentist calling me later in the week - but I am having the root canal done at a fucking expensive private practice in the next town over - they also do them. Do I want ceramic? Porcelain? Some fancy sounding brand-name-crown?

Does anyone know anything please?

And I have tried googling..but so much seems linked to dental practices I am not sure how much I trust it.

Thank you!

OP posts:
PinkSparklyPussyCat · 20/10/2020 17:31

I can't offer an advice but I'll be watching with interest as I'm due to have a filling on a molar that may well turn into root canal and a crown.

I have one white crown and a silver one. I had to have the metal one as a previous butcher dentist ballsed up my tooth and there's no longer enough left to have a porcelain one so it would have meant more work.

OnDisplay · 20/10/2020 18:50

I am struggling with what is on offer - and what would be best. I think for durability metal (gold) is best? But then elsewhere I have seen all porcelain is best. Or there is the porcelain/metal mix. My head is (already blurry dealing with major painkillers and antibiotics) spinning with it all.

OP posts:
OnDisplay · 20/10/2020 18:52

Arghh. Now I have just read that an all ceramic crown could be the best option as ceramic is stronger than porcelain....

OP posts:
MeagainWindsor · 20/10/2020 18:56

I don't know much about crowns yet, but I wore a kinda nice tiara for my wedding even though his mean ole grandma wouldn't let me wear the one I wanted.

Oinkypig · 20/10/2020 19:21

As a dentist if it’s not too visible I would go for gold if it was me it just lasts. I wish it hadn’t gone out of “fashion” But then hypocritically if it was a premolar you could see I would go ceramic! There are various systems/types so depends really what your dentist is used to

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.