My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Does anyone know about hallmarks? Is this silver? Or if not what and how to clean?

8 replies

Bluesheep8 · 15/10/2020 10:20

Is anyone any good with hallmarks?
I bought a set of cake forks from a charity shop and want to know how to clean and polish them. They are hallmarked,Are they silver? If so, how best to clean? Would any other metal be hallmarked? Any suggestions as to how to clean? Tia

Does anyone know about hallmarks? Is this silver? Or if not what and how to clean?
OP posts:
PestymcPestFace · 15/10/2020 10:23

Good quality silver plate, hand wash and dry.

Don't put in dishwasher, it makes them go black. Use a silver cloth if they do go black or once a year or so.

GuyFawkesDay · 15/10/2020 10:23

They're silver but plated, so go carefully.
Use a proper, for purpose silver cleaning solution as a bath.

Not the sofa crystal/aluminium foil method. That only works lifting tarnish on real silver and even then it actually damages the silver if done a lot. On plate it won't work and will thin the silver coating.

GuyFawkesDay · 15/10/2020 10:24

Sofa, I meant SODA.

PeachesTheFlamingo · 15/10/2020 10:32

EPNS is ElectroPlated Nickel Silver. It's silver plated over a base metal alloy made mostly of nickel.

A1 is the quality/thickness of the silver plating. A1 is "superior quality" but really the amount of silver used in the plating is quite minimal.

Not sure on the best way to clean. Just looked it up and in Internet suggests submerging them in warm water with bicarbonate of soda.

peachescariad · 15/10/2020 10:52

Electro plated nickel silver.
Line a bowl with foil (shiny side up) put a large scoop of bicarb in there then pour in boiling water, making sure all sides of the sliver has contact with the foil. You'll see all the gunk rise to the surface. Rinse and buff to a shine.

Bluesheep8 · 15/10/2020 10:52

You lot are brilliant! Thank you Star

OP posts:
GuyFawkesDay · 15/10/2020 11:44

Please don't do the soda and foil trick. It works but long term damages the plate.

Bluesheep8 · 15/10/2020 11:59

guyfawkes thank you...I will just soak in hot soapy water I think

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.