My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

To move or not??

4 replies

Unicornshorn · 13/10/2020 14:36

We have lived in Edinburgh for 20 years but all of our friends and family have moved out of the city and we're struggling to decide whether to do the same. I don't drive but there are good transport links in places like Kinross and Dunfermline but not sure if it the commute would become too much. Ironically living in the city we hasn't had much of a social life for a long time as grandparents live over an hour's drive away and are not keen coming into the city by car. Covid/ lockdown has made us question if we want to keep living in such a crowded place, we would love our own private garden etc but I'm worried about the impact of moving on my 6 year old/ if we'll miss city life. My partner can be home based but I'm not sure if that would be the case long term for me and there are less career options for me out of the city. Any shared experiences/ advice would be great.

OP posts:
Doubletrouble99 · 14/10/2020 23:58

Why KInross or Dunfermline? is that near your family and or friends?

Unicornshorn · 15/10/2020 07:20

Yes it's about halfway between Edinburgh if I didn't change jobs and where family and friends are- or somewhere similar would also be ok. Transport from both is good though.

OP posts:
PonDeReplay · 15/10/2020 07:37

Can you afford the move? And are your jobs secure? That would be a major concern for me.

Unicornshorn · 15/10/2020 08:09

Yes we have had our flat valued and it will result in a fair bit of equity, both jobs secure as far as we know. It's more the changing schools and whether we'll regret missing city life that's the issue.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.