My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Anyone else so depressed working from home?

74 replies

WFHhater · 01/10/2020 14:03

Hence my name.
I just hate it. Yes I see the benefits for curbing covid, so I don’t mean in that sense.
I every day is just a slog. I have gone from loving my job (with HV team) to really hating it. I know there is nothing I can do besides looking for a new job, but just wanting to vent. And make a space for anyone feeling the same. It’s crap isn’t it.

OP posts:
purpleme12 · 01/10/2020 14:07

Yes I do
I hate life now in general and I think a lot of it is working from home. I don't have anyone else to talk to.
Just can't be bothered with anything anymore

RedskyAtnight · 01/10/2020 14:11

Yes, I've hated it all along. And I think a lot of the people who liked it to start with are coming round to the idea that wfh all the time is not that ideal.
Every day just feels like groundhog day.

jdoejnr1 · 01/10/2020 14:13

Love it and don't want to go back. I can get a full days work completed in 2/3 of the time because I don't have to keep wasting 10-20 mins while someone distracts me to chat about their home life when I've no interest. No travel, no 'uniform more family time, less rush what's not to love?

QuentinWinters · 01/10/2020 14:16

Yes I hate it. Totally unmotivated, easily distracted, miss human contact. On top of not being able to see family and friends cos of stupid rules of 6 Angry I feel like I could fall off the face of the earth and noone would notice.

WFHhater · 01/10/2020 14:20

Good to know not alone in this! I know it’s very individual. I just miss people and the general chit chat. My house is quite small and there isn’t a proper ‘work’ space. I get headaches from looking at the computer. I miss driving...I could go on. Just having a very negative day so nice to share hear and not on Teams which I’m trying not to do. Little ray of sunshine I am Grin

OP posts:
Peachypips78 · 01/10/2020 14:21

I hate it too. And I enjoy my own space/company. I feel low, demotivated, over-tired.

I find it stressful mixing my work and home life and struggle to switch from one to another, and I've stopped enjoying being at home at the weekend. Ugh

hamstersarse · 01/10/2020 14:23

Yes, I hate it.

I am usually a positive cheery person who interested in life

I am now a lounge wearing hermit with very little enthusiasm for life

The every day requirement to 'get yourself going' and 'on with things' is exhausting.

I really miss a 'piss about' in the office to break up monotony.

neversayalways · 01/10/2020 14:26

I don't like it. Find it much harder to concentrate. I have more distractions at home than in the office. At the office I am in work mode and just get on with it here. Have never managed to switch to work mode properly at home. And there is always other stuff to do at home.

I miss the commute and my colleagues. I get lonely so I keep popping on here too (hence less productive!)

GetRid · 01/10/2020 14:35

I'm missing social contact. Not sure how to solve that. I have neighbours who are around, but I never know in advance how my day is going to pan out, so it's dfcult to schedule walks/coffees etc

Ginfordinner · 01/10/2020 14:41

I miss my workmates, the banter, wearing nice clothes and make up and being out of the house.

However, I don't miss the commute or sitting in an arctic air conditioned office. I am lucky that I have been able to turn a spare bedroom into a proper office. I have my work computer with 2 large monitors, headset, office chair and desk.

StarlightLady · 01/10/2020 14:46

I usually travel a lot as part of the job, so l feel very grounded at the moment. The odd day from home used to be nice. But this has been too much.

WFHhater · 01/10/2020 14:50

@Peachypips78 you have hit the nail on the head with all that!

Definitely harder to get into work mode and can relate to not enjoying weekends as much! Although I still live for my takeaway and gogglebox on a Friday night 😂👵🏻

OP posts:
poorchurchmouse · 01/10/2020 14:58

Yes. I miss my team dreadfully. I hate video calls with a passion. And I feel I’m living at work rather than working at home: work has expanded to take up time I would have spent in fun things that aren’t allowed any more (really wild stuff like having 8 people over to lunch)

Peachypips78 · 01/10/2020 15:00

@WFHhater I love the evenings too- much more than I used to. Only one thing to focus on- me Grin

WFHhater · 01/10/2020 15:03

@poorchurchmouse don’t get me started on video calls. I hate them with family, let alone colleagues Grin

OP posts:
WFHhater · 01/10/2020 15:03

Amen to that @Peachypips78

OP posts:
dementedma · 01/10/2020 15:08

Timely thread. Have just set up a half day session for my team on the mental health aspects of working from home, isolation, demotivation etc. The course is run by ex Royal Marines who use their training in dealing with pressure, isolation etc to give some tips etc. We are all so much looking forward to it. Cant wait!

Vanillaradio · 01/10/2020 15:08

Yes I hate it. I just sit in my house on my own and stare at a computer all day every day. I really miss the interaction with my colleagues (both social and work related) Also miss being in the city centre when it was so easy to just pop out for a coffee or to the shops. Just really bored and lonely. Also working a couple of hours more a day as no commute and ds's school just round the corner and really hard to switch off.

WFHhater · 01/10/2020 15:11

@dementedma that sounds brilliant! I think more places need to consider this as we are in it for the long haul.

OP posts:
WFHhater · 01/10/2020 15:12

In fact I am going to look that up

OP posts:
Marmunia1975 · 01/10/2020 15:32

I love it. I have been working for myself for over two years and I love it. I never want to see a workplace again!

GreekOddess · 01/10/2020 15:35

No I much prefer it despite the fact that my working day is so much longer. What I do hate is my team trying to communicate with me when I'm at virtual meetings if I was in the office they wouldn't be able to but that's for me to manage.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

dementedma · 01/10/2020 15:36

@WFHhater - you won't find it on line. It's a new bespoke course and still under a degree of confidentiality. But if you DM me I can tell you more about it.

TazMac · 01/10/2020 15:36

I don’t like it but I also don’t miss my commute. I would like to do 2 days in the office and 3 from home, going forwards.

Totickleamockingbird · 01/10/2020 15:39

I hate it with a passion now. My job is already a WFH type and I can manage it well with a few days between office and home so commute was reasonable for me. But a total WFH arrangement is so so wrong and is not productive for my line of work in the long run.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.