Please or to access all these features

Chat

Join the discussion and chat with other Mumsnetters about everyday life, relationships and parenting.

Decisions, decisions....help me out mumsnet!

1 reply

Wooosh · 12/09/2019 14:01

Mumsnetters, I need your wisdom. I am probably trying to have it all and getting overwhelmed but tell me what you think!
I am aware this is very first world problems.
Current Situation

  • We have a DS who is 2. Trying for another DC but having some issues, it may happen, it may not. I’m 37 and might need a surgery to help things in that area, so timing is unknown.
  • I have a local job, I work full time but very flexibly which allows us to only need nursery on 3 days a week. Been in my current role for 8 years and feel ready to move on. Great employer, pretty secure and good benefits.
  • Was passively looking at other roles but had put on the back burner. Just been called about a role in London. Nearly double the money, but would be a commute on the train (45mins). Even with extra childcare and train ticket, I think it would be an extra £500 take home a month.
  • Live in a 2 bed terrace house, mortgage in my name only.
  • We want to move to a bigger property and had just starting looking. Main driver for this would be to avoid moving once DS has started in a primary school
  • DP is self employed, but I am the main breadwinner. Questions
  • TTC will keep going whatever, I can’t delay due to my age, but I feel I cannot put my life on hold waiting to see if it happens. Worst case scenario (in order wise) is I move jobs and then fall pregnant before becoming eligible for Mat pay.
  • Do I go for a new job and delay moving for a bit?
  • How disruptive is it to move DC between primary schools in the first few years?
  • Do I continue working where I am, enjoy the flexibility while DS is little?
  • Does it make more sense to get the higher paid job and then move house?
  • What else would you be considering in this scenario?!
OP posts:
7Worfs · 12/09/2019 14:08

Really depends how ambitious you are and what do you want career-wise.
Personally I’d go for the job. After 6 months if all looks well with the new job, I’d move house. TTC after I pass probation in new job.

New posts on this thread. Refresh page