My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

So that mythical MN roast chicken

177 replies

MoonahStone · 02/07/2019 14:45

What meals do you actually turn it into to make it last a number of days without your family dying of boredom (or food poisoning) 🐓

OP posts:
InsertFunnyUsername · 02/07/2019 17:25

2 adults, 1 teen and a toddler, Technically could be enough for a sandwich or measly soup the next day. Probs not stares at cat

Winenotttea · 02/07/2019 17:27

When I buy chicken breasts in pairs I buy the biggest size pack I can and 1 breast is one portion, DH would think I’d gone mad if I got 2 portions from one chicken breast!

Singlenotsingle · 02/07/2019 17:32

He, me, and the dog makes three! I but those roast in the bag jobbies but there's rarely much left. Maybe enough for the dogs breakfast if she's lucky!

managedmis · 02/07/2019 17:32

Who saves the wings?! They're the best bit and to be eating surreptitiously in the kitchen, under the pretense of serving the bird

sacope · 02/07/2019 17:34

Roast dinner (1 drumstick per child, 1 thigh per adult and some breast for baby)

I'm crying at one thigh per adult. Not even laughing crying, actual crying not literally

TeacupDrama · 02/07/2019 17:43

roast DH has most of one breast DD has the drum stick I have the thigh plus the rest of the breast so use half the chicken
next day chicken salad uses most of the rest of chicken
day 3 the meat from wings chicken oysters nose etc goes to make chicken and veg soup
so 6 full meals and some soup but the chicken is really only flavouring soup it is not a meal from a chicken: this is from a 3 for £10 deal the chicken normally weighs1.3- 1.5kg carcass is easily 500g so that is about 1kg meat so about 125-150g per portion plus 100g in the soup
a chicken does 6 portions if you have 2 kids under 5 maybe you can stretch to 8 portions as the kids are really sharing a portion
obviously if you buy an extra large chicken it will do more portions
1 breast would not make curry for 3-4 people unless the chicken is more for flavour than the basis of the dish

theworldistoosmall · 02/07/2019 17:44

@managedmis I save the wings and freeze raw. BBQ sauce them up most of the year, and now the weather is great, they get chucked on the bbq.

Although if I gave ds teen one for a snack after school he would think I was mad and/or skint. (Actually might try it to wind him up when he decides to constantly ask for cash)

TeacupDrama · 02/07/2019 17:45

but if I was doing roast chicken for visitors or a treat I would say a chicken would do 4 large portions

DeRigueurMortis · 02/07/2019 17:46

If I gave my DH and DC some of the chicken portions on here there would be a kitchen rebellion!!!

Ok, they are teens, but who the hell has a single chicken thigh as an adult portion? Or half a breast?

DH could eat the entire chicken himself if left to his own devices (no he's not overweight in the slightest and neither is anyone else).

I do all the veg and "trimmings" with a roast chicken to fill everyone up, so typically chicken, roast potatoes, mash, Yorkshire puddings, carrots, broccoli, stuffing and pigs in blankets plus lashings of gravy made from the stock from the last roast plus garlic lemon and tarragon I stuff into the chicken.

Even with all that there is no way even a large chicken is going to stretch to more than 2/3 meals at best.

It is a mythical chicken OP....

MitziK · 02/07/2019 17:47

I'm sure that most of the multiple meal chickens are either picked at by people who regard two slices of meat as filling, or are the size of the one I got one Christmas - I got it cheap from the butcher on Christmas Eve and, assuming it wasn't actually a baby Velociraptor, it was bloody massive and must have weighed about 12lb - it just fitted in my oven in the big tin with about 4 inches space above it.

LaMarschallin · 02/07/2019 17:47

This makes me realise how comparatively new I am to MN.
I've come across the v-e-r-y e-l-a-s-t-i-c chicken references before, but not the I'd-faint-from-hunger-if-I-didn't-eat-a-whole-0turkey-myself-before-cooking-the-pterodactyl-that's-barely-enough-for-one posts.
I'm not sure I'd join this big party that seems to be evolving as I just worry that, when the food runs out (as it obviously will) I'd start turning into a big roast chicken in front of your eyes, a la Tom and Jerry cartoons.

(I know, I know: "What do you mean start turning, LaM?")

Marmite27 · 02/07/2019 17:51

There’s two adults, a pre-schooler and a toddler here, so we get a roast and another meal (or two if a stew type with loads of veg).

If you look on Pinterest for rotisserie chicken meals, there’s loads of ideas. We like:

chasseur
casserole
Spanish chicken
Chicken & tomato cannelloni
Jambalaya

MonstranceClock · 02/07/2019 17:54

my 5 year old eats more than one chicken thigh Grin

On the very rare occasion I do eat meat, one medium roasted chicken will usually do me and a 5 year old a roast, bone stock for soups, a curry, some sandwiches and then all the the little bits that i boil off the bones i blend up and make gyoza with.

YesQueen · 02/07/2019 17:57

Someone did the chicken challenge didn't they on here? I remember reading the post.. off to google

Heratnumber7 · 02/07/2019 17:59

Chicken pie
Chicken sandwiches
Chicken soup
Chicken curry
Chicken (cold) with bubble and squeak
Chicken risotto
Chicken noodles

Not all from the same chicken, obvs

Gilbert1A · 02/07/2019 18:00

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mrsjayy · 02/07/2019 18:01

Dd will make chicken and leek pie if she is home

AdaColeman · 02/07/2019 18:18

When I was poor I often made several meals from one chicken, a roast with lots of potatoes and vegetables, then I would strip all the meat off the carcass and chop it.
It made meals such as chicken and mushrooms in white sauce with rice. chicken and leek pie, chicken vol-au-vents served with potatoes and vegetables, chicken risotto. The carcass would be used for stock for the meals and any left over stock made into soup.

I think expectations of portion sizes have increased over the years. Also, families often had puddings, which with much busier lives, are not so usual nowadays.

MrsPear · 02/07/2019 18:28

Some people are such greedy bastards - no wonder there is an obesity crisis. I can’t get my head round 2 adults gorging on a chicken and it only doing one meal Hmm A 2 kg chicken here will do meals x2 plus stock. A roast followed by pie or pasta or curry. We are a family of four.

MonstranceClock · 02/07/2019 18:33

I can, and have, eaten a whole chicken by myself. I doubt people are gorging on chicken every single day. I'm far from obese.

Gottoloveabagel · 02/07/2019 18:42

Depends on the size of the chicken!
A large one does a roast for 4 easily, then chicken pie after but I really carefully get the meat off!

Sometimes I'll make a chicken and spinach risotto which doesn't need much chicken then we can also have chicken noodle soup!

sacope · 02/07/2019 18:52

Some people are such greedy bastards - no wonder there is an obesity crisis

Yep, that extra bit of chicken is so full of fat Hmm

cabingirl · 02/07/2019 18:52

So you get about 50% meat yield of the weight of a raw whole chicken.

Therefore if you have a 2kg chicken that's 1000 grams of cooked meat.

Nutritionists recommend about 100g portion of meat protein per meal. So you theoretically have 10 portions of meat on a roasted 2kg chicken.

Of course we all know that not all chicken meat is created equal and the cook reserves the right to pick the best bits off for herself (I always take the oysters!) in the kitchen so there might not be ten portions available for long.

sar302 · 02/07/2019 18:55

@managedmis My mum used to call that "chef's prerogative" and that related to beef and lamb bones as well!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.