My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

So that mythical MN roast chicken

177 replies

MoonahStone · 02/07/2019 14:45

What meals do you actually turn it into to make it last a number of days without your family dying of boredom (or food poisoning) 🐓

OP posts:
Happygolucy123 · 02/07/2019 16:42

Good grief how do people not make more than one full meal from a roast chicken? DH and I will have a good few slices, generally of breast during the meal, then when C has cooled he takes all the meat off the bones, puts in sandwich bags in fridge/freezer and the next day I'll make curry, stir fry or salad with some of what's left, DH has chicken sandwiches for his lunch for 1 or 2 days and anything left gets put in a soup made from the carcass, if we've eaten more than usual I pad the soup out with lentils, pearl barley, etc.. I don't feel we have small portions and generally chicken isn't gargantuan but we'll easily get 10+portions from one chicken.

Pinkyyy · 02/07/2019 16:42

I was thinking exactly the same @sacope. How on earth is that even possible?!

cabingirl · 02/07/2019 16:44

Roast chicken dinner on Monday
DH takes leftover veg and a couple of slices as packed lunch Tuesday
I have chicken sandwich for lunch Tuesday
If it's a big chicken I might have another chicken sandwich for lunch on Wed
Chicken and veg curry or chicken pasta bake Wednesday dinner
Boil bones into stock Wednesday night to either freeze or make straight away into soup with veg such as roasted butternut squash

LoafofSellotape · 02/07/2019 16:45

10 portions from one chicken?! How big is the chicken?😱

DirtyDennis · 02/07/2019 16:52

I don't feel we have small portions and generally chicken isn't gargantuan but we'll easily get 10+portions from one chicken

Ten portions? From one chicken? Fuck a duck.

Merril · 02/07/2019 16:53

These threads always go the same way. There'll be half the posters who are still eating a chicken they cooked on Millennium Eve and the other half will be astounded that anyone can get one decent meal from a chicken never mind 37.

Then we'll get on to portion size and anyone who eats more than a five millimetre shred of chicken with a roast will be implied to be a greedy pig and they should stuff themselves stupid with sprouts instead of gorging on delicious meat. 'One slice per plate then bury the rest in the garden in a burlap sack so no-one can have seconds!'

LoafofSellotape · 02/07/2019 16:53

The portions must be one mouthful sized.

cabingirl · 02/07/2019 16:54

So for us a 4lb chicken will do the meals I mentioned above and that's for 2 adults and a child for the evening meals.

We have the biggest portions of meat on the roast dinner day but it still leaves enough for 2-3 lunches and then the curry or pasta bake - but in the curry I add loads of veg too like squash, cauliflower, mushrooms, green beans etc and I usually use a chicken stock made from a previous roast so it still tastes quite chicken-y even if there's more veg than meat in it.

Pinkyyy · 02/07/2019 16:54

Would you really want to limit yourselves to tiny portions just to try and get as many meals as you can? I'd just buy another bloody chicken. Especially if they're 3 for £10.

notatwork · 02/07/2019 16:59

This sliced chicken would make enough sandwiches for 4 people to have a round each.sliced
These whole breasts could be gobbled up by two people if someone like me didn't slice them first! whole

Jinglejanglefish · 02/07/2019 17:02

Pinkyyy

Exactly my thinking. I'd rather have a lovely big roast dinner and not have chicken every night for the rest of the week.

formerbabe · 02/07/2019 17:04

I add my leftover chicken to stir fried noodles. That's pretty much it.

I can't be arsed with making stock. I'm sure the energy used costs more than a 4p stock cube.

cabingirl · 02/07/2019 17:05

My DH is obsessed with food waste - so the important thing for us is that it all gets eaten and nothing gets left and thrown away.

DeRigueurMortis · 02/07/2019 17:05

Sunday roast.

Then strip the carcass and generally use that for risotto the next day or maybe a chicken salad and/or paella.

Boil the carcass and make stock.

Might make a big batch of soup out of the remaining meat and stock (plus fresh veg, pearl barley) in the winter that would be enough for 2 meals if served with some fresh crusty bread.

Upshot I get generally get 2 meals out of a chicken (family of 4) and a batch of stock, 3 if I make soup.

That's it...I can't see how I could make more unless I bought a turkey...those buggers can last for weeks Grin

theworldistoosmall · 02/07/2019 17:06

If I bought a huge chicken, I could possibly make several meals. But I hate eating the same thing for days on end. Put me off turkey years ago, the endless turkey leftovers.

There's me, teen ds and two cats.

NEtoN10 · 02/07/2019 17:07

Roast chicken for 4 carving one breast and both legs last night.

Between 4 of you?!

My DP would eat that himself!

I usually have enough for a sandwich and some risotto or noodle soup after.

I try to buy the organic chicken but it's a lot smaller than the normal ones so doesn't leave much left.

Winenotttea · 02/07/2019 17:09

10 portions from one chicken can surely only be possible if you are borrowers!

A large roast chicken does 2 meals for me and DH, the breasts for the roast dinner and the rest of the meat for a chicken pie each.

@DirtyDennis please can I too be your friend and come to tea? I’ll bring my own chicken 🐓

notatwork · 02/07/2019 17:09

KFC: not particularly healthy but so delicious and thus we're prone to eat more of it than might be wise. (especially DH) but even their biggest 1 person meal is 3 pieces (which we all know is more chicken than a normal person would eat in a domestic situation). A piece of KFC is a breast fillet(that's half a breast), a thigh, a drumstick or a wing with some extra rib meat to gnaw on. And you have that with a tiny portion of (delicious skin-on) chips and maybe some coleslaw or corn. No way would I eat that much at home, especially if I were having a pile of veggies, spuds, pigs in blankets, stuffing, gravy etc etc. Using KFC portioning, a breast and 2 legs is 6 pieces of chicken: 2 for DH and DS, one each for DD and I if served as part of a big dinner...of course I stuff out more if its fast food!

jellycatspyjamas · 02/07/2019 17:12

Depends on the size of the chicken, I usually buy a 2kg chicken, and buy a good quality one so it’s not full of water. We have a roast dinner (the kids don’t eat much of the chicken), I then usually have enough for a chicken pie with mushrooms, leeks and bacon bits to fill it out, strip the carcass and do a stir fry with the bits and use the carcass as a base for stock. We don’t have small portions by any means and I expect it’ll change as the kids get older but I’ve always had decent leftovers from a roast chicken.

Arrowfanatic · 02/07/2019 17:12

We buy an extra large chicken. Its usually does a roast for 6 people (although my 6 year old will only eat a teeny, tiny amount) and then if we really strip the bones i can make a chicken and rice dish or a pasta bake with it to feed DH and I.

No way I'd get more meals. I eat a whole breast, DH does too and the legs are split between 3 kids and my Nan. This is in addition to a plate full of potatoes, veggies, stuffing & yorkshire puddings.

MaverickSnoopy · 02/07/2019 17:13

A large or extra large chicken. 2 adults, 3 children (7, 2, 8mo).

• Roast dinner (1 drumstick per child, 1 thigh per adult and some breast for baby) which we have with sausagemeat stuffing, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and parsnips and veg

• 1 breast for a chicken, bacon and mushroom pie

• 1 breast for a chicken, chickpea, sweet potato and vegetable curry, chicken, vegetable and egg fried rice, chicken and mushroom risotto or chicken and chorizo paella

• wings go in chicken, peanut and vegetable stir fry with noodles (in a satay sauce)

• scraps make chicken soup which has loads of veg, potatoes and rice in (always loads of scraps left and boil bones to make stock too)

As far as I'm concerned if I need to make a chicken stretch I will and we'll eat well. No one has ever missed lots of meat and so long as we're all getting enough protein then it's fine. After all other sources of protein exist and vegetarians don't miss the chicken at all. I really don't feel like I'm missing out and neither does carnivore DH. However, we don't do the magic chicken thing every week. I often do similar with other joints of meat but chicken is much easier to stretch. Most weeks we have veggie dishes too.
YesQueen · 02/07/2019 17:14

I guess it depends how you're eating it
Chicken noodle soup with loads of veg and noodles and a small amount of shredded chicken for flavour rather than the chicken being the main part
Or a slab of chicken with veg
Both use very different amounts!
And also how much you get off the chicken, I strip it completely, any crap bits the cat gets but I get a full Tupperware container rammed full of shredded chicken off a standard morrisons hot counter chicken

Winenotttea · 02/07/2019 17:18

Reading this thread has made me realise that I’m a right old greedy guts! A whole pack of chicken thighs (600 grams I think) from Tesco in a chicken curry only yields 3 portions 😂

edgeofheaven · 02/07/2019 17:22

1 roast chicken feeds my family of four (with two DCs under 4 years old) with enough meat left for one adult portion the next day.

If I was going to make elaborate meals for days to come I’d need to roast at least 2 chickens at the same time.

cabingirl · 02/07/2019 17:23

So apparently the recommended healthy portion size of meat like chicken per meal is

85g or 3 oz. meat = size of a deck of cards or bar of soap

So that mythical MN roast chicken
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.