My feed

to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.


Marriage and name changing

5 replies

piedmontpepper · 01/07/2019 16:51

I don't seem to be able to find any straightforward information about this online so I thought I'd ask here. DH and I got married earlier this year. We want to double barrel our surnames and we also want to change Ds's to the double barrelled version (currently he only had DH's)

Do we need to do it via deed poll or can it be done via marriage certificate etc? And where do I need to change it beside bank, driving lesson etc.

My surname is already double barrelled but I am Latina so it's not hyphenated. I also have a middle name.

Not my real name, but as an example Isabella Clemira Gomes Morales (Gomes Morales being the surname), and I've married Toby Jones so I want to become Isabella Clemira Gomes Morales-Jones (keeping Gomes as a middle name)

So it's not straightforward!

OP posts:
piedmontpepper · 01/07/2019 16:52

Driving license, not driving lesson!!

OP posts:
MarianneAgain · 01/07/2019 17:06

Yup, deed polls necessary for all three of you. According to this information, a marriage certificate only works if you are taking his name or continuing to use your own name only.

Likethebattle · 01/07/2019 17:15

Yes deed pool, bank, mortgage, driving licence, voters roll, HMRC, council tax....

Brahumbug · 01/07/2019 17:35

Just write your own deed poll out, it is as good as anything you will pay for and just as legal.

piedmontpepper · 01/07/2019 17:38

Yes I've heard that but on the gov website it seems to tell you you need to pay?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.