My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

How big is your house?

91 replies

AdultFishcakes · 22/06/2019 13:04

Quick straw poll here as we have the opportunity of buying in a lovely area, lovely schools, good commute etc BUT we would lose approx a third of the size of our house.

We have 4 kids and 2 adults under 6 and the house is 150 sq.m.

Unlikely we will see a decent bargain of its like again.

WWYD?

OP posts:
gamerwidow · 23/06/2019 10:15

Many of you are so fortunate to have such space
They really are but don’t forget the MN demographic does tend to be skewed towards the richer end of society.
For every couple with one child living in a 4 or 5 bedroom house there will be another family trying to squeeze 3 kids into one bedroom.
Your house is small but it is yours and you have more than many people in Britain today.
Always helps to get a bit of perspective and I’m sure you’ve made a lovely home.

gingajewel · 23/06/2019 10:18

My house is tiny, but it’s mine and that’s all that matters!! I don’t no the sq foot, but I have two bedrooms, one bathroom and then a kitchen and living room, and a fairly big garden.
In reality I would love a three bed as I have two children with a big age gap but I never thought I would own my own house and I do and that’s all that matters to me!!!

Kpo58 · 23/06/2019 10:26

My house is 70sq meters and its way too small. It's so frustrating all being cramped in mainly the downstairs room during the day as the DCs are too young go wandering around the rest of the house on their own.

DramaRamaLlama · 23/06/2019 10:31

About 320sqm.

I actually downsized a couple of years ago from my "dream" home which turned out to be too big for me, despite me spending my whole life thinking that's what I wanted.

troppibambini · 23/06/2019 10:34

3500 sq ft. Five beds, four baths, sitting room, kitchen/dining/family room in on big room, study, utility. Decent sized garden.
Me, dh and four dc (dog and cat) it feels just right for us and I don't think we will ever move while the kids are still at home.
It's a big house which is lovely but it's also hard work to keep clean and tidy.

Bluerussian · 23/06/2019 12:36

Faith 50, our first house was very tiny, terraced, and we had little privacy. I'd hoped we would be there for two to three years, hated it and the area. Unfortunately we were there for nine years! Even had a child there. So you have my sympathy.

However you will move eventually as we did. We've been in our second house for thirty five years in August and have always loved living here.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your housing.

Faith50 · 23/06/2019 13:02

Bluerussian Flowers

I felt guilty and petty for focusing so much on moving to a nicer area and bigger home. I also felt resentful towards my husband. We have worked through this and I am learning to appreciate what we have. It does not help that my dc friends live in large houses on tree lined roads

MacavityTheDentistsCat · 23/06/2019 13:14

160 m2 for three of us (plus cellar for storage but no attic). It's too much really. Our neighbours are a family of six living in the same and they seem to manage fine. I think an efficient layout and enough bathrooms is key. We (like the neighbours) have two bathrooms (not ensuite so fully accessible by all) plus a guest loo.

tomboytown · 23/06/2019 13:26

4000+ sq ft- estate agent measured the rooms, but I’ve lost track trying to add it up for the total.
7bed, 4bath.
There’s only me and ds, but the layout works and we use every room.
I absolutely love it, although working hard to not feel guilty.

Happyspud · 23/06/2019 21:38

How do you really use 7 bedrooms for 2 people? Do you have them set up as a game room, reading room, cinema room etc?

fedup21 · 23/06/2019 21:40

*4000+ sq ft- estate agent measured the rooms, but I’ve lost track trying to add it up for the total. 7bed, 4bath. There’s only me and

I don’t think I would fancy all that cleaning for just me and 1 other!

tomboytown · 23/06/2019 21:43

Exactly, games room, dressing rooms, guest room.
Grown up living room, kids living room.
There is one little bedroom that’s not being used, but likely will set it up as a study for ds

tomboytown · 23/06/2019 21:48

I have found amazing cleaners who wizz around the house in 2 hours

mizu · 23/06/2019 21:53

64 sq metres Shock 2 adults and 2 teens. It's not big Grin but location was key when we bought. Still is.

MakeLemonade · 23/06/2019 21:54

We are soon to be a family of five and have a bit over 200sq m. I would be very reluctant to lose any space but I’m sure it could be done with a big declutter and some smart storage solutions.

Guildford is lovely but you don’t get much house for your money. Is there anywhere else have you considered?

MakeLemonade · 23/06/2019 21:55

*you have considered

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.